2010-11 MLB Offseason Catch-All

witesoxfan

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Dec 24, 2010 -> 06:38 AM)
Right, I'm assuming it was at night and if someone is jaywalking its hard to see them even sober at times... for him to get similar treatment to the guy from the Adenhart case would be ridiculous.

It was like 5 in the morning, but it's still pretty damn hard to see him at that point in time. And considering it was 5 in the morning, it's assumed that Stallworth had waited until he thought he was sober, so there was atleast an attempt to be responsible. As Jas mentioned, the dude who killed Adenhart (and 2 others) was absolutely bombed, because it was like the peak of the night.

Drinking and driving is stupid. You think the worst you can get slapped with is a slap on the wrist, lose your license, maybe spend a couple nights in jail and then BAM, you're in prison. Just stupid, stupid, stupid.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 24, 2010 -> 07:41 AM)
It was like 5 in the morning, but it's still pretty damn hard to see him at that point in time. And considering it was 5 in the morning, it's assumed that Stallworth had waited until he thought he was sober, so there was atleast an attempt to be responsible. As Jas mentioned, the dude who killed Adenhart (and 2 others) was absolutely bombed, because it was like the peak of the night.

Drinking and driving is stupid. You think the worst you can get slapped with is a slap on the wrist, lose your license, maybe spend a couple nights in jail and then BAM, you're in prison. Just stupid, stupid, stupid.

Stallworth settled with the family of the victim a little after the criminal sentence was final, but I believe I read the terms were in place for the settlement before the criminal matter was resolved... while obviously it doesn't have a direct effect on the prosecutor, it makes a difference because you didn't have the family of the victim pressuring the prosecutor to throw the book at him.

Stallworth's attorney publicly were confident they could have beaten it, but said he pleaded guilty to do what was "morally right." Also, he ran the risk of a harsher sentence than what he got if a judge or jury (not sure how it goes in FL) sentenced him after a trial. Although I believe it was FL also where the ex-NYY just got acquitted of the homicide charge stemming from his DUI and that fact pattern was more horrific (obviously both terrible because somebody died).

Yes DUIs are not worth it, I was a public defender for 2 years and for a good portion was in the courtroom that handled DUIs. It is way cheaper and less of a hassle to get your car towed, a 50 mile taxi ride or a hotel room, hell in some cases a helicopter ride would be cheaper.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Dec 24, 2010 -> 10:02 AM)
Stallworth settled with the family of the victim a little after the criminal sentence was final, but I believe I read the terms were in place for the settlement before the criminal matter was resolved... while obviously it doesn't have a direct effect on the prosecutor, it makes a difference because you didn't have the family of the victim pressuring the prosecutor to throw the book at him.

Stallworth's attorney publicly were confident they could have beaten it, but said he pleaded guilty to do what was "morally right." Also, he ran the risk of a harsher sentence than what he got if a judge or jury (not sure how it goes in FL) sentenced him after a trial. Although I believe it was FL also where the ex-NYY just got acquitted of the homicide charge stemming from his DUI and that fact pattern was more horrific (obviously both terrible because somebody died).

Yes DUIs are not worth it, I was a public defender for 2 years and for a good portion was in the courtroom that handled DUIs. It is way cheaper and less of a hassle to get your car towed, a 50 mile taxi ride or a hotel room, hell in some cases a helicopter ride would be cheaper.

Messed up thing is I had actually called a taxi company because I knew I was blitzed. But when I found out the estimated cost would be something like $43 (I was like 45 minutes away from my house), I just said f*** it. I didn't want to spend that. So ultimately because I didn't want to spend a measly $43 I lost my Explorer (god I miss that car), got my license suspended for three months, and between fines, classes, tests, ect, I dished out a good $3000.

Random MLB stat of the day via Joe Posnaski's Twitter

A Christmas baseball thought: Albert Pujols has averaged .331, 43 doubles, 41 homers, 119 runs, 123 RBIs his first 10 years.

Here's the thing: Only nine players in baseball history have pulled off that Pujols average season even once in their careers.

Pujols, Ruth, Greenberg, Trosky, Klein, Gehrig, Hornsby and the Rockies Helton and Walker

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 26, 2010 -> 04:26 PM)
Rangers are about to sign Brandon Webb. Could be a huge coup if he's healthy. Easy to forget this guy was one of the top 10 pitchers in baseball just two years ago.

Isn't he throwing like 83mph? I don't know why anyone would really want him except for the lowest of contracts. I wouldn't consider that a "miss" for the Cubs, or any other team for that matter.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 26, 2010 -> 11:50 PM)
Isn't he throwing like 83mph? I don't know why anyone would really want him except for the lowest of contracts. I wouldn't consider that a "miss" for the Cubs, or any other team for that matter.

It's a 1-year deal with what I'm sure are heavy incentives. There's virtually no risk and a big reward if he's even 75 percent of what he was a couple years ago.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 26, 2010 -> 04:26 PM)
Rangers are about to sign Brandon Webb. Could be a huge coup if he's healthy. Easy to forget this guy was one of the top 10 pitchers in baseball just two years ago.

I was hoping that the Rangers might sign Carl Pavano so it would keep him away from the Twins. But I'm glad the Twins didn't get Webb either. Maybe the Nationals will quit screwing around and sign Pavano now. The Twins are going be hosed if he signs elsewhere.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 26, 2010 -> 11:50 PM)

Even if he is today, there is no reason he can't improve on that in the next four months.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 12:06 AM)
It's a 1-year deal with what I'm sure are heavy incentives. There's virtually no risk and a big reward if he's even 75 percent of what he was a couple years ago.

per Rotoworld, it's a $3 million base salary, with incentives that could get him a couple million more.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 08:42 AM)
Even if he is today, there is no reason he can't improve on that in the next four months.

There is a reason, his shoulder surgery. Far from a guarantee you get previous velocity back. 83 is just so far off - my point is that it's not a miss for the Cubs. I wouldn't want the Sox throwing 3 mil at him.