2010-11 MLB Offseason Catch-All

witesoxfan

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 31, 2010 -> 04:44 PM)
I can't help but think about the possibility of having signed Beltre instead of Konerko, and then Lee instead of Crain. For a few million more dollars this year (obviously we would have more committed down the road), I feel like we could be a lot better.

I doubt Jerry would have ponied up the money for Beltre. Plus, Boras is his agent.

Edited by chw42

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 31, 2010 -> 05:31 PM)
I doubt Jerry would have ponied up the money for Beltre. Plus, Boras is his agent.

Yeah. I still can't believe they did it for Dunn. The day we sign two major free agents in one offseason is the day Juan Pierre becomes a better baseball player than Carlos Gonzalez.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 31, 2010 -> 05:31 PM)

Well, I think the Boras angle is overplayed at this point, and it is hard to say he wouldn't have ponied up the money considering all they have committed to recently, but yeah, it's definitely a bit of a pipe dream.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 31, 2010 -> 05:35 PM)
Yeah. I still can't believe they did it for Dunn. The day we sign two major free agents in one offseason is the day Juan Pierre becomes a better baseball player than Carlos Gonzalez.

The White Sox have given out the 4th and 7th biggest contracts this offseason. I would say that qualifies as 2 major free agent signings.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 31, 2010 -> 06:43 PM)
The White Sox have given out the 4th and 7th biggest contracts this offseason. I would say that qualifies as 2 major free agent signings.

Well considering I have both CarGo and Juan on my fantasy team, I should be in really good shape this year then...;)

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jan 2, 2011 -> 07:16 PM)
I wonder if KW goes after Michael Young if the Rangers sign Beltre, I know it's crazy, but he has been one of his targets before.

That contract would probably keep that from happening. Young is due $16 mil per year until 2013.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 2, 2011 -> 08:02 PM)
Rangers closing in on Beltre with 5 year deal.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/01/rang...-to-beltre.html

The number there is $85 mil/5 years.

If that winds up being the final number, then on an annual basis, Beltre is more expensive than Crain + Dunn.

On a total contract basis, Beltre would make almost as much as Konerko and Dunn combined.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 3, 2011 -> 07:38 AM)
The number there is $85 mil/5 years.

If that winds up being the final number, then on an annual basis, Beltre is more expensive than Crain + Dunn.

On a total contract basis, Beltre would make almost as much as Konerko and Dunn combined.

Beltre's probably at least a 5 WAR player if he plays in Texas and stays healthy. I'd say the contract is worth it.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 3, 2011 -> 11:28 AM)
Beltre's probably at least a 5 WAR player if he plays in Texas and stays healthy. I'd say the contract is worth it.

Is he though? I actually like Beltre a lot and obviously his defense is always elite but he's been the definition of a contract year player with the bat.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 3, 2011 -> 11:24 AM)
Is he though? I actually like Beltre a lot and obviously his defense is always elite but he's been the definition of a contract year player with the bat.

His glove and his ability to stay healthy generate about 3.5 WAR to begin with. So if he's just good with the bat (like an .800+ OPS), he'll get pretty close to 5 WAR.

That's only for the next couple of years though, Beltre's not getting any younger.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 3, 2011 -> 12:27 PM)
His glove and his ability to stay healthy generate about 3.5 WAR to begin with. So if he's just good with the bat (like an .800+ OPS), he'll get pretty close to 5 WAR.

That's only for the next couple of years though, Beltre's not getting any younger.

How much does it decrease his WAR if he still refuses to wear a cup:?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 31, 2010 -> 05:35 PM)

looks like your boy is about to get paid, per Rotoworld:

A Rockies source implied Monday that the club may be moving toward a long-term extension with outfielder Carlos Gonzalez.

Reports out of Gonzalez's native country of Venezuela last week suggested that the dynamic outfielder could be traveling to the states Thursday to hammer out the deal. And the Denver Post's Troy Renck was told Monday to "stay on top of this." It's going to take quite a commitment to lock CarGo up, but he appears headed for stardom and Colorado may save themselves money in the long run. Renck believes that the Rockies have offered something in the range of a seven-year, $80 million contract. Jan. 3 - 1:48 pm et

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Jan 3, 2011 -> 01:42 PM)
looks like your boy is about to get paid, per Rotoworld:

A Rockies source implied Monday that the club may be moving toward a long-term extension with outfielder Carlos Gonzalez.

Reports out of Gonzalez's native country of Venezuela last week suggested that the dynamic outfielder could be traveling to the states Thursday to hammer out the deal. And the Denver Post's Troy Renck was told Monday to "stay on top of this." It's going to take quite a commitment to lock CarGo up, but he appears headed for stardom and Colorado may save themselves money in the long run. Renck believes that the Rockies have offered something in the range of a seven-year, $80 million contract. Jan. 3 - 1:48 pm et

In Tulo and now Cargo, the Rockies are setting themselves up to run the NL west [and NL in general for that matter]. Now all they have to do is get Ubaldo and it's on.

Forgot they had inked De La Rosa, who has a chance to be a stud, through 2012 with a player option for '13.

Edited by Jordan4life