2010-11 MLB Offseason Catch-All

witesoxfan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw that the Reds just signed Edgar Renteria. The question is simple: why? Dude is awful. He's been exactly a replacement level player for a while now. I know the Reds couldn't have been dumb enough to be fooled by his World Series performance? It's only 1 year and 3 million. But still. You probably get better production from Paul Janish for less than $500 K. Just a really stupid move for a front office that had been on a roll of late. I'm not saying this is a crippling move or anything. Just doesn't make any sense.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 8, 2011 -> 05:14 AM)
Saw that the Reds just signed Edgar Renteria. The question is simple: why? Dude is awful. He's been exactly a replacement level player for a while now. I know the Reds couldn't have been dumb enough to be fooled by his World Series performance? It's only 1 year and 3 million. But still. You probably get better production from Paul Janish for less than $500 K. Just a really stupid move for a front office that had been on a roll of late. I'm not saying this is a crippling move or anything. Just doesn't make any sense.

The guy knows what leadership is on winning teams. They brought him in to lead the young players.

I know you disagree but there is something to be said about veteran leadership with a young team.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 8, 2011 -> 07:59 AM)
The guy knows what leadership is on winning teams. They brought him in to lead the young players.

I know you disagree but there is something to be said about veteran leadership with a young team.

Like OC did for them last year...?

They overpaid for leadership if you ask me. The Giants only offered Renteria $1 million.

Edited by chw42

I think there's something to be said about leadership. But that doesn't overcome being a bad baseball player.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 8, 2011 -> 05:14 AM)

The problem with the move is Dusty Baker. He loves to play his veterans day in and day out, as we saw on the North Side. Having a vet like Renteria on the bench as a backup is solid, but I guarantee Dusty plays him way too much.

It is going to be kind of funny if Renteria helps the Reds to a World Series birth or title when Orlando Cabrera couldn't do it. Those two hate each other.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 8, 2011 -> 06:21 PM)
The problem with the move is Dusty Baker. He loves to play his veterans day in and day out, as we saw on the North Side. Having a vet like Renteria on the bench as a backup is solid, but I guarantee Dusty plays him way too much.

I'm sure he will, but he already stated that Janish and Renteria are going to pretty much split time. One of them could get hurt too.

I saw a headline somewhere about LAA as a possible Pujols landing spot next year. I haven't been keeping up with STL's financial situation, but last I remember a ) Pujols will get a lot of money from someone and if is from STL, it will tie them up financially. b ) Pujols wants to win, which could be tricky to pull off if that much of your money is accounted for already.

No doubt, signing Crawford this offseason would have all but made LAA unrealistic for Pujols should he reach FA. From a baseball standpoint* I'd rather have a one-armed half blind Pujols than Crawford for the money Boston gave him. I was thrilled the Sox weren't actively pursuing him. Could the Angels have half-heartedly been in the Crawford race just to drive up the price for everyone else (by that I mean if you get him, fine, if someone is bent on out-bidding you, no problem)? I know it was pretty much accepted everywhere that they wanted Crawford but could this be an "in the grand scheme of things" scenario? If you lose out on him, no sweat, just throw the bank at Pujols next year, even overpay him. Surely LAA is better equipped to do that than than STL...

It's a slow morning at work, I'm just throwing the idea out there.

* It's a shame that MLB still doesn't have any sort of HGH testing to this point. Not sayin', just saying...

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 05:24 PM)
Are you sure? The Rangers already declined an option on him that would have been a small raise.

Probably because they wanted to sign Beltre.

I'm also confident Thome won't make more than what Vlad made last year.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 05:55 PM)
Yeah, and Kinsler. He's turning into Nick Johnson.

They have the depth to make up for possible injuries. Young could slot in for Kinsler. David Murphy can play a corner OF spot.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 05:56 PM)
They have the depth to make up for possible injuries. Young could slot in for Kinsler. David Murphy can play a corner OF spot.

Murphy did a damn good job last year when Hamilton went down late in the year. .920 & .944 OPS in August & September. I don't know if he can keep it up the whole season, but I don't think they really need him to.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 04:25 PM)
I'm sure he will, but he already stated that Janish and Renteria are going to pretty much split time. One of them could get hurt too.

I'll believe it when I see it!!! If he does stick to it though, then Renteria in that role is not the worst idea for the Reds.