2010-11 MLB Offseason Catch-All

witesoxfan

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 07:48 PM)
I'd rather have them go for Thome...he fits in their lineup worse.

I oddly agree. He had a great year last year, but I can't see him repeating it. And the fact he's a lefty makes things a lot easier with their lefty-heavy lineup (and Thome's noticeable splits - much more than Vladdy). With 3 lefties in the pen it would make decisions pretty easy.

Edited by Pale Sox

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 11:36 PM)
They're going to give up a ton too.

The key is C.J. Wilson. If he can come anywhere close to his 2010 season, that staff should be okay. Colby Lewis was not a fluke last year, that guy can pitch. Tommy Hunter is a serviceable guy. With the possibility of Feliz becoming a starter and the slight possibility that Webb might be healthy and effective, you have yourself a formidable staff.

There's also Scott Feldman and Derek Holland who can end up being possible 5th starters.

I think their pitching will be okay. Not as good as last year, but enough to keep them the favorites for the AL West. I really do like what the A's have done in the off-season though.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2011 -> 06:48 PM)
I'd rather have them go for Thome...he fits in their lineup worse.

But Thome is actually a powerful hitter at this point in his career. I don't have the numbers and am being extremely lazy, but I'm like positive that Vlad not only was terrible on the road last year, but that he broke down as the season wore on and so he was a bit of a burden in the lineup in the second half.

If the Twins are going to sign an older DH type to a 1 year deal, I hope and pray that they sign Vlad. He's a good guy to put up against LHP, but you really can't trust him for much more than that.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 11, 2011 -> 09:02 AM)
Tigers sign Brad Penny, reportedly $3mil base, with $3mil incentives. Not a bad guy to have as your #4/5 starter.

That's a really good deal for them. Although Penny's shown before that he's nothing special in the AL.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jan 11, 2011 -> 12:30 PM)
Heyman has Rays looking at Thome and Vlad as well, obviously won't start some sort of crazy bidding war, but gives them another option of where to sign

Just keep both of those guys away from the Twins and we'll be fine.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 11, 2011 -> 02:06 PM)
I still can't believe they're looking at 11 draft picks before the third round this year, assuming they don't re-sign Balfour.

That's not gonna do them any good this year or until like 2013 at the earliest probably. And that's if the picks work out too.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 11, 2011 -> 02:27 PM)
I know. I'm just saying that's pretty crazy.

Totally. Couldn't that kind of be a bad thing though? I realize that the more talent in the system, the better. But I assume their drafting budget isn't astronomical, and if you have that many high draft picks to sign, you might have to offer certain ones less than they are looking for, which could keep them from wanting to sign with you? I'm no expert on MLB drafting, but that thought just popped in my head, I don't know if its true or not.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 11, 2011 -> 02:55 PM)
Totally. Couldn't that kind of be a bad thing though? I realize that the more talent in the system, the better. But I assume their drafting budget isn't astronomical, and if you have that many high draft picks to sign, you might have to offer certain ones less than they are looking for, which could keep them from wanting to sign with you? I'm no expert on MLB drafting, but that thought just popped in my head, I don't know if its true or not.

I don't think so with the Rays. I mean that's the way small market teams have to operate. To invest heavily into scouting and the draft. No team signs every pick. But I imagine their FO knew well before last season that they were going to lose most or all of their key free agents. They have no problem spending on the draft because that's the only way they can be competitive. And I for one still think despite the key losses that the Rays will remain competitive in 2011.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 11, 2011 -> 03:08 PM)
I don't think so with the Rays. I mean that's the way small market teams have to operate. To invest heavily into scouting and the draft. No team signs every pick. But I imagine their FO knew well before last season that they were going to lose most or all of their key free agents. They have no problem spending on the draft because that's the only way they can be competitive. And I for one still think despite the key losses that the Rays will remain competitive in 2011.

I agree that they will be competitive next year with all that talent. The problem is that they are stuck in the Evil Empire division, so simply competing doesnt get you very far. All the best scouting in the world can only get you so far, if you can't raise the payroll and keep all the talent. If only the fans in Tampa gave a s*** about them, they really could have something going down there, even better than what they are now.