2010-11 MLB Offseason Catch-All

witesoxfan

People who buy Phillies tickets well in advance have an 80% chance of seeing a top tier pitcher. Than a 20% chance of getting to see Blanton.

Like when the rotation comes around and I get stuck with Josh Stewart back in the day.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 09:57 PM)
People who buy Phillies tickets well in advance have an 80% chance of seeing a top tier pitcher. Than a 20% chance of getting to see Blanton.

Like when the rotation comes around and I get stuck with Josh Stewart back in the day.

Look on the bright side. We get Humber or Harrell this time around.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 04:41 PM)
Wow, that's a bargain if he can replicate his '10 over the duration of the 4 years. He obviously has to stay healthy. That's been his only problem.

there's an option that can make it 5/50 which kicks in with PAs, so Brewers covering themselves a little with health

Edited by SoxFan562004

New York Yankees general manager Brian Cashman acknowledged that Joba Chamberlain has put on weight but said the team will handle it privately.

"He's obviously heavier," Cashman said. "That's as much as I'll say."

When asked if he was unhappy with Chamberlain's conditioning, Cashman just said: "He's heavier, which you guys already know."

He later said that the team will deal with the situation and "not certainly in the public arena."

Link

That is definitely a situation Williams and company should be monitoring. Joba seems to quickly be wearing thin on Yankees management with the struggles last year as well as the weight this year. And if there is one organization who can help fix talented, overweight relievers with drinking problems, it's the White Sox.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 11:20 PM)
Wow, I'm surprised. Didn't think he'd get that many years.

Yeah that's a guy I think you wait to extend big. So much of his value was due to a ridiculously high HR/FB that some regression is due. I mean, I genuinely believe that Jose Bautista is a 30+ homer hitter, but I think you want to see him do it again before extending him.

I also don't understand the projections for his average being as high as they are. They are projecting 15 fewer HR, the same amount of XBH, and roughly the same amount of K's, and he's going to hit for a similar average? I don't see it. I see him putting up lines similar to Dunn - .240/.350/.500. Great power, good ability to get on base, not so much with regards to the average. Perhaps I'm the one wrong here.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 08:35 PM)
Jays and Bautista near 5 year 65m extension, they postponed their arb hearing trying to finalize it per Heyman

Didn't they learn their lesson with Wells? I know this nowhere near as much money, but no thanks to that deal. Maybe they are assuming the Angels will trade for him in 2013.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 02:17 PM)
Mets don't expect Johan Santana back until just before the AS Break.

Wow. I didn't realize his injury was that bad. Everything that can go wrong for the Mets has gone wrong. It sounds like they are still in a deep financial mess with the whole Madoff situation as well.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 02:21 PM)
Wow. I didn't realize his injury was that bad. Everything that can go wrong for the Mets has gone wrong. It sounds like they are still in a deep financial mess with the whole Madoff situation as well.

Anything that effects the passive stability of the shoulder takes a long time. First you need to get it healed, then stretch it out before you can begin much strengthening. Then you need to begin throwing. It is always a pain to get through that extra stretching phase because you need enough mobility to throw but you need to maintain enough tightness to create the stability needed. Threse types of surgeries more than any other can really change the way a pitcher throws.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 02:21 PM)

That's going to be one expensive last place team. That organization is a mess.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 04:29 PM)
That's going to be one expensive last place team. That organization is a mess.

I've actually really like what Alderson has done so far though. Nothing too crazy, just make small signings and hope for the best. That's all they can really do right now.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 09:35 PM)
Jays and Bautista near 5 year 65m extension, they postponed their arb hearing trying to finalize it per Heyman

Confirmation the Jays think Bautista is as legit as I do. I wouldn't have gone five years though. But other than the hernia, he has been injury free. He will be worth that contract.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 06:15 PM)
Confirmation the Jays think Bautista is as legit as I do. I wouldn't have gone five years though. But other than the hernia, he has been injury free. He will be worth that contract.

If he hits like he did when he turned 29. If he hits the way he did from ages 23-28, it might be the worst contract in baseball.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 07:37 PM)
If he hits like he did when he turned 29. If he hits the way he did from ages 23-28, it might be the worst contract in baseball.

I'm sure there's worse. Every year since 2007 he's been at least a positive WAR player, which means he's been worth a couple million.