2010-11 MLB Offseason Catch-All

witesoxfan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 21, 2010 -> 06:25 PM)
Dbacks interested in Putz. Does this mean if they sign him, we get no draft pick since they have a top 15 pick?

No. The Sox would get a sandwich pick, and the D-Backs pick in the 2nd round (unless the D-Backs signed other type A Free agents). Assuming Putz is a type A FA (I don't know if that's confirmed yet).

If Putz is a type A free agent, the Sox will add 2 draft picks, 1 sandwich pick and a compensation pick from the other team.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 21, 2010 -> 05:25 PM)
Dbacks interested in Putz. Does this mean if they sign him, we get no draft pick since they have a top 15 pick?

They're gonna have to offer something like the insane deal Benoit got last week. I'm not seeing the Sox with a competitive offer on those terms.

I doubt teams will have to offer quite that much. Detroit handed out a dumb contract, and I think the rest of the league knows that. Williams signed Linebrink to a 4-year deal, but not every reliever that year signed to a 4-year deal.

Personally, I think Putz is also a guy the Sox should lock up. He was great last year and this year you can guarantee him the closing gig. Offer him 2/$15 with an option - $6.5 mill in '11, $7.5 in '12, team option for $8.5 in '13 or a $1 mill buyout. Gets him more value per year (almost as much total as Benoit is getting), it's still fairly affordable, especially for a closer, and brings back a fantastic reliever.

I would not give Putz $15M guaranteed. He's 34 and hit the DL 4 times in the past 3 years. If we didn't already have three power arms in the pen, it might be a different story. But given current circumstances, I'll take the draft pick.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Nov 21, 2010 -> 07:43 PM)
I would not give Putz $15M guaranteed. He's 34 and hit the DL 4 times in the past 3 years. If we didn't already have three power arms in the pen, it might be a different story. But given current circumstances, I'll take the draft pick.

That could be the one thing that keeps his price down enough for us to retain himm.

Is your 3rd power arm Sale or Infante? I know you've advocated for Sale being in the bullpen in the past and I'm just not sure to whom you're referring.

I don't necessarily think that Putz is a high priority - not nearly as important as I think Jones is - due mostly to his cost and the Sox talent in the bullpen, but I think having another proven arm for the back of the pen is a big deal. 2/$15 is probably a bit too high, especially if he is injured seriously enough this year that it hampers his ability to pitch next year and the Sox are in a Linebrink situation. I also think he's probably more valuable than Octavio Dotel was when the Sox signed him and probably just as safe, but also more injury prone, so perhaps 2/$12 would be more of his market value. They also don't have to break the bank on him, as there are other quality relievers on the market too.

Either way, Putz has been worth everything the White Sox paid him, and if he's back, great, and if he's not, great.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 21, 2010 -> 06:56 PM)
Which means we are definitely going to offer him arb, right?

Offering Putz arbitration has no downside. It's definitely going to happen. Konerko is pretty much in the same boat. AJ is a good shot as well, especially after Buck received a 3yr/16 million contract. I don't see much downside in having 1 more year of AJ at market value or receiving draft picks if he declines.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Nov 21, 2010 -> 11:34 PM)
Offering Putz arbitration has no downside. It's definitely going to happen. Konerko is pretty much in the same boat. AJ is a good shot as well, especially after Buck received a 3yr/16 million contract. I don't see much downside in having 1 more year of AJ at market value or receiving draft picks if he declines.

I can't see us not offering JJ arbit.

The A's posted $18 million for Hisashi Iwakuma and aren't going to sign him. That's OK though because now they don't have to pay the posting fee.

I understand that if you don't sign the player, you shouldn't have to pay a ton, but it seems to me that there is nothing against simply bidding $100 billion and then simply saying "oops, sorry, don't want him!" I'm sure there are more controls on it than that, but there should be some type of penalty for not signing a guy you won the rights to negotiate with, other than simply not signing him.