2010-11 MLB Offseason Catch-All

witesoxfan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 23, 2010 -> 12:06 PM)
They aren't actually assessing a monetary value that, but instead using a monetary figure to help correlate performance on the field to how much it is worth given market conditions. They aren't suggesting that the Giants should have paid Bonds $37.8 million in 2004, but they are instead showing how good he was offensively using his WAR multiplied by the price teams pay for 1 win share. Bonds was a 12.2 WAR player in 2004 - meaning he was worth just over 12 wins all by himself - and teams paid $3.1 million per win share (price of win share, or pWS) in 2004; thus, Bonds' WAR*pWS = $37.8 mill.

Mark Kotsay was a bad player, and I don't think it's really debatable that his presence on the team cost the Sox wins. Thus, he has a negative WAR. Taking his WAR*pWS = some negative number. He's not actually worth negative dollars, but instead it helps compare how bad he was.

But even their monetary value is off. Its silly to say Jose Contreras' 10-17 5.52 ERA season is a 10.6 million performance fangraphs gave it in 2007, and his 2009 6-13 with a 4.92 ERA an 11 million dollar performance.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 28, 2010 -> 03:58 AM)
But even their monetary value is off. Its silly to say Jose Contreras' 10-17 5.52 ERA season is a 10.6 million performance fangraphs gave it in 2007, and his 2009 6-13 with a 4.92 ERA an 11 million dollar performance.

This has been one supremely boring offseason so far. Hopefully s*** picks up in December.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 27, 2010 -> 12:41 PM)
Yankees signed (THE) Brian Anderson and Andy Sisco. So...that makes like 3 players that they have recently signed that we used to have? Cotts, Anderson, and Sisco?

Sisco seems to be healthy and is throwing 95 in winter ball. If he has his velocity back, he is worth an invite to spring training for sure. Too bad it is with the Yankees.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Nov 29, 2010 -> 12:36 PM)
Holy crap, Dodgers are giving Uribe $21 mil/3!?

http://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/statuses/9312882084806656

He had a solid season and a real nice playoff run but seriously? $7 million a year?

Wow. I guess the Dodgers money problems are over...

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Nov 30, 2010 -> 07:21 PM)
It is speculated that Berman could sign somewhere for $7 million for one year. He was a mess for the Yankees, but I wonder if that'd be a good deal.

Took me forever to figure out you meant Berkman.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 1, 2010 -> 01:22 PM)
Jamie Moyer to have Tommy John surgery today. Vows to pitch again in 2012 when he will be 49.

That's a hell of a passion for him to want to go through the extensive recovery and come back to pitch again. Hell, teams wouldn't be lining up for his services right now if he were healthy... what about after TJ and at 49? What's the best he can do after? A minor league contract with a ST invite?

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Dec 1, 2010 -> 08:40 PM)
That's a hell of a passion for him to want to go through the extensive recovery and come back to pitch again. Hell, teams wouldn't be lining up for his services right now if he were healthy... what about after TJ and at 49? What's the best he can do after? A minor league contract with a ST invite?

I imagine he is trying to reach that 300-win plateau....I think he's at 274 now.