2010-11 MLB Offseason Catch-All

witesoxfan

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 01:10 AM)
Totally.....and it's weird because when you look back at his baseball america descriptions, he's a "plus" defender. They even say he's capable of CF!!

This is from December, 2005:

Imagine him in CF.....lol

I also don't see him going oppo too much unless he's late on a pitch. He has a pure-pull approach. Maybe he's a product of some Greg Walker coaching...

I think he was one of the better defensive OF's in college and he was still pretty good until his D'back injuries.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 02:40 AM)
It's still weird hearing about him going opposite field regularly. Usually, that implies a good plate approach. He's patient, but in my mind Quentin is basically a mistake hitter.

In 2008, he seemed to hit it everywhere, same with Beckham in 2009. I'm not saying Walker is preaching it, but he isn't helping these guys avoid getting into that mentality.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 02:45 AM)
In 2008, he seemed to hit it everywhere, same with Beckham in 2009. I'm not saying Walker is preaching it, but he isn't helping these guys avoid getting into that mentality.

If there's one thing about the White Sox offense that I could target for improvement over the years, it would be SITUATIONAL HITTING.

You think Ozzie would agree, but he continues to have a hard-on for Walker.

Walker is the perfect hitting coach for Rob Deer. But we don't need that. We need a hitting coach that preaches situational hitting. Clutch hitting IS situational hitting. This is what we need.

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 03:02 AM)
If there's one thing about the White Sox offense that I could target for improvement over the years, it would be SITUATIONAL HITTING.

You think Ozzie would agree, but he continues to have a hard-on for Walker.

Walker is the perfect hitting coach for Rob Deer. But we don't need that. We need a hitting coach that preaches situational hitting. Clutch hitting IS situational hitting. This is what we need.

The Sox were one of the best situational hitting teams in the AL last year. #2 in BA with RISP, #3 with Scoring Position and 2 outs, and OPS numbers that ranked them similar to where their batting average did.

Greg Walker appreciates your praise.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 07:39 AM)
The Sox were one of the best situational hitting teams in the AL last year. #2 in BA with RISP, #3 with Scoring Position and 2 outs, and OPS numbers that ranked them similar to where their batting average did.

Greg Walker appreciates your praise.

But don't you remember that time we couldn't score a guy from 3rd with 1 out????? Fire Walker

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 01:58 AM)
Quentin's degrading fielding skills are definitely the results of injuries.

After watching him last year, I came to the conclusion that he doesn't have the best instincts. He would get bad reads pretty often and get caught in between on liners into RF. His bad defense can be attributed to more than just physical problems.

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 10:28 AM)
After watching him last year, I came to the conclusion that he doesn't have the best instincts. He would get bad reads pretty often and get caught in between on liners into RF. His bad defense can be attributed to more than just physical problems.

But how do you "lose" instincts? He was rated well on defense all through his career and a fly ball in AA is a fly ball in the MLB.

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 10:28 AM)

I came to the conclusion he sucked when he was in LF and didn't even know where to throw the baseball upon receiving it. He has an arm and the mentality of a football player on defense - but that's really it from what I can see. He's awesome as a LF killing the ball, but as a slumpy, offensive rollercoaster windmilling his way to the baseball in RF he's atrocious. The only problem is that it's hard to trade a guy who could win you an MVP if he stays healthy and confident for even 2/3 of a season.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 12:53 PM)
But how do you "lose" instincts? He was rated well on defense all through his career and a fly ball in AA is a fly ball in the MLB.

I'm convinced the flaw is in there somewhere. All last offseason I argued how s***ty he'd be in RF and I kept getting this metric stuff thrown at me saying he'd be good in RF and was only bad in LF because of blah blah blah. I have no idea why he was rated well, but it appears that he's not much of a defensive player. He just isn't. He's got that "oh s***" look on his face too much to be a good defensive player.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 12:53 PM)

Assessments of his defensive abilities in college and in the minors really don't mean jack s*** at this point. Quentin misjudges flyballs and liners fairly often. That has nothing to do with shoulder, wrist or foot problems. It has to do with positioning and reading the ball off the bat. I don't know what his problem is. He should be at least an adequate defender. Maybe getting moved between RF and LF messed with his head?

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 01:19 PM)
He's got that "oh s***" look on his face too much to be a good defensive player.

I saw this exact thing a bunch of times - especially when he was coming in on balls into shallow RF.

Edited by IamtheHBOMB

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 05:10 PM)
I hope he signs him to a contract extension halfway through his 1 WAR campaign.

His reasoning - Jeff has hit for a very high .280 average and he has 15 home runs.

What he might have missed is that his OBP would be around .310 and his SLG might be .400.