2010-11 MLB Offseason Catch-All

witesoxfan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 10:34 AM)
So how is that off-season feeling for the Tigers so far? They signed a guy without a real position to a large contract, and missed out on all of the big names so far.

At least they got V-Mart, the Angels are having a rough one as well as Oakland.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 6, 2010 -> 09:51 PM)
As in Alex Gordon? s***, the Newark Bears have enough pieces to get that bust.

I think it is important to note that Kevin Correia's brother was killed in a hiking accident in May, which effectively ended any hopes of a good season for Correia. He is a good pitcher and up to last season, was deserving of the contract he received. Take away 2010 (which I think he wishes could happen) and he's a solid 4/5 guy in the NL.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 01:28 PM)
I think it is important to note that Kevin Correia's brother was killed in a hiking accident in May, which effectively ended any hopes of a good season for Correia. He is a good pitcher and up to last season, was deserving of the contract he received. Take away 2010 (which I think he wishes could happen) and he's a solid 4/5 guy in the NL.

Nice screen name! Welcome to the site.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 01:28 PM)

I remember reading that article. He and his brother were very close, and it tore him apart. Hopefully he is able to focus more this year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 05:01 PM)
I can't see Castro, but Colvin and Cashner have to be at the top of the list.

The one thing the Rays really don't need right now is starting pitching though. They wouldn't even have a spot for Cashner as a starter if they traded Garza.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 04:09 PM)
The one thing the Rays really don't need right now is starting pitching though. They wouldn't even have a spot for Cashner as a starter if they traded Garza.

Their pen is a disaster. If you think ours needs people, take a look at who is left in Tampa.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 04:24 PM)
lol just what the hell are the Cubs trying to do? Weren't they going to rebuild?

Keeping their young Major Leaguers while trading unproven prospects for someone like Garza, and then extending him to a reasonable deal, would qualify as rebuilding. Rebuilding projects usually fail when they try to have all their prospects come up at once and turn into viable Major Leaguers. That rarely happens.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 04:36 PM)
Keeping their young Major Leaguers while trading unproven prospects for someone like Garza, and then extending him to a reasonable deal, would qualify as rebuilding. Rebuilding projects usually fail when they try to have all their prospects come up at once and turn into viable Major Leaguers. That rarely happens.

I don't think the Rays want unproven prospects for Garza.

Tyler Colvin might be someone the Rays would want back, although that's not likely to happen.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 04:01 PM)
I can't see Castro, but Colvin and Cashner have to be at the top of the list.

Maybe Cashner but I can't see why they'd have to trade Colvin. Besides, so far it's been said that TB would be getting prospects, and Cashner at this point is past that. He appeared in 53 games last year.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 04:39 PM)
I don't think the Rays want unproven prospects for Garza.

Tyler Colvin might be someone the Rays would want back, although that's not likely to happen.

9:54pm: The Cubs and Rays met again to talk about a potential trade that would send Garza to Chicago for prospects, according to Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago.com. The Brewers and Rangers have also met with the Rays about Garza, but the Cubs have the strongest current bid, according to Levine. However, Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel hears that talks between the Rays and Brewers did not progress (Twitter link).

5:17pm: The Rays have been uninspired by the offers for Garza and may hold on to the right-hander until next summer, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post (on Twitter).

10:40am: The Cubs are one of four teams in the mix for Rays righty Matt Garza, reports ESPN's Bruce Levine. The Rays are interested in receiving prospects in return.

That's what is out there. I don't think the Cubs would be interested in this deal if they had to gut what they're building.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 04:43 PM)
9:54pm: The Cubs and Rays met again to talk about a potential trade that would send Garza to Chicago for prospects, according to Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago.com. The Brewers and Rangers have also met with the Rays about Garza, but the Cubs have the strongest current bid, according to Levine. However, Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel hears that talks between the Rays and Brewers did not progress (Twitter link).

5:17pm: The Rays have been uninspired by the offers for Garza and may hold on to the right-hander until next summer, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post (on Twitter).

10:40am: The Cubs are one of four teams in the mix for Rays righty Matt Garza, reports ESPN's Bruce Levine. The Rays are interested in receiving prospects in return.

That's what is out there. I don't think the Cubs would be interested in this deal if they had to gut what they're building.

What good prospects do the Cubs have that they'd be willing to trade? Vitters? Lee?

Edited by chw42