2010-11 MLB Offseason Catch-All

witesoxfan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 04:45 PM)
Cubs are going to try and get Garza for guys like Carpenter, Archer, etc. It would be funny if they got Garza, as it would give them two of the most unlikeable players ever in Zambrano and Garza.

Wait, so it isn't just me who absolutely hates Matt Garza? It's only fitting he gets traded to the Cubs.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 03:17 PM)
A source told AOL Fanhouse's Ed Price on Friday that he is "certain" Rays right-hander Matt Garza will be traded this winter, probably to the Cubs.

That'd be a nice get for the Cubs.

He and Z can punch a hole into walls and beat up coolers together

I heard today Ray Davis, a part of the ownership group, and a billionaire, is basically paying for the Cliff Lee extension himself if Lee decides to return to Texas. The money won't be coming out of the baseball ops budget. Also according to Kruk the same thing happened when the Phillies signed Thome. When they all met and had the figure Thome would require, the ownership group decided to pass, but one guy said he'd pay the contract himself.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 06:09 PM)
I heard today Ray Davis, a part of the ownership group, and a billionaire, is basically paying for the Cliff Lee extension himself if Lee decides to return to Texas. The money won't be coming out of the baseball ops budget. Also according to Kruk the same thing happened when the Phillies signed Thome. When they all met and had the figure Thome would require, the ownership group decided to pass, but one guy said he'd pay the contract himself.

that would be extremely interesting, but I wonder if there's a stop point for the NYY on this

QUOTE (beckham15 @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 07:55 PM)
with the offseason boston has had this yr i dont think there will be one

according to Heyman NYY is at more money and an extra guaranteed year, but said Lee liked Texas... also said another team involved, but other posters here have said he's an agent mouthpiece, so take with grain of salt

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 04:43 PM)
10:40am: The Cubs are one of four teams in the mix for Rays righty Matt Garza, reports ESPN's Bruce Levine. The Rays are interested in receiving prospects in return.

I realize the rays have lost a lot this offseason but quite frankly they are not that far off from competing again in '11. They need to trade Garza for a cost controlled DH and 1B and sign someone like Jenks. The rays and marlins have a propensity for turning figurative s*** into gold in their respective bullpens, I'm actually very curious as too what Russell and Ramos can do for them in Tampa.

QUOTE (beautox @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 12:56 AM)
I realize the rays have lost a lot this offseason but quite frankly they are not that far off from competing again in '11. They need to trade Garza for a cost controlled DH and 1B and sign someone like Jenks. The rays and marlins have a propensity for turning figurative s*** into gold in their respective bullpens, I'm actually very curious as too what Russell and Ramos can do for them in Tampa.

The Rays are always going to be competitive with that kind of pitching and defense. I still maintain Crawford was one of the most overrated players in baseball and I don't think losing him is the end of the world at all. And Pena? A smart deal or two around what they already have may make them just as good if not better. Garza for prospects doesn't make sense at all though, I agree.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 01:47 PM)
All indications so far are that it's Morel's job to lose. The org like him a lot.

As long as we don't have another .220 hitter batting 8th for the full year (I'm looking at you, Teahen), this lineup is good enough that we can tolerate him struggling with the bats for a year if that's what happens.

I don't think it will, based on his performance last year, kid is going to rake and sooner than you think. But especially if Beckham doesn't stink, having a weak 9th place hitter that we're working into the league isn't a bad option.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 04:25 PM)
As long as we don't have another .220 hitter batting 8th for the full year (I'm looking at you, Teahen), this lineup is good enough that we can tolerate him struggling with the bats for a year if that's what happens.

I don't think it will, based on his performance last year, kid is going to rake and sooner than you think. But especially if Beckham doesn't stink, having a weak 9th place hitter that we're working into the league isn't a bad option.

Yah, I agree. Based on the few times I saw him, his swing and eye looked good enough to succeed in MLB. And, unlike most of our upcoming prospects in recent years, all we're asking of him is good defense. He's replacing Teahen, unlike Anderson replacing Rowand, so I think the pressure's off and he can play a lot looser than the guys we've called up recently. Call it instinct, but I really like his chances of flashing some offense to go with that glove.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 03:40 PM)
Yah, I agree. Based on the few times I saw him, his swing and eye looked good enough to succeed in MLB. And, unlike most of our upcoming prospects in recent years, all we're asking of him is good defense. He's replacing Teahen, unlike Anderson replacing Rowand, so I think the pressure's off and he can play a lot looser than the guys we've called up recently. Call it instinct, but I really like his chances of flashing some offense to go with that glove.

The one thing I can't speak about is whether or not he'll get into funks like Beckham where his head isn't right and his mechanics go to he**. But, IIRC, at both levels he was jumped to last year, he struggled for the first week or two, and then spent the rest of his time hitting everything in sight.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 04:42 PM)
The one thing I can't speak about is whether or not he'll get into funks like Beckham where his head isn't right and his mechanics go to he**. But, IIRC, at both levels he was jumped to last year, he struggled for the first week or two, and then spent the rest of his time hitting everything in sight.

Beckham had the disadvantage of a world of hype surrounding him because of his rapid advancement. And, even though in the minds of most thinking Sox fans his production would have been icing on the cake, I think the city of Chicago put a lot of pressure on his shoulders to be the face of the franchise a year out of college. I don't know what Morel's makeup is, but if he's prone to dwelling like Beckham/PK/Q, I doubt the circumstances will exacerbate the problem like Beckham's circumstances did.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 03:40 PM)

On the whole I agree with you; however, as far as the batting ninth and just play good defense thing, the same thing was told to Brian Anderson in 2006. We thought that we had a fantastic lineup that year, but when the offense started out slow, as usual for this team, there was pressure put on Anderson to produce offensively as well. We all know how that turned out.

The absolute worst thing that can happen to Morel this year is that his teamates start out slow offensively.