2010-11 MLB Offseason Catch-All

witesoxfan

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 11:01 PM)
Wow Billy Beane is absolutely enamored with OBP. Between DeJesus/Barton/Willingham they should have an overall OBP pushing 400!

OBP is great, but when you're relying on Matsui as your main power source. I'm afraid all that hard work has gone to waste. If they only had a legit slugging threat...

Regardless Im always happy to see Oakland do well, their teams/players are always fun to watch.

I find the last comment surprising. They've been more athletic recently, but the traditional type of team usually associated with Oakland (under Beane) is probably the most boring team to watch I could imagine.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 10:27 PM)
I find the last comment surprising. They've been more athletic recently, but the traditional type of team usually associated with Oakland (under Beane) is probably the most boring team to watch I could imagine.

Yea, sometimes they can be a bit brutal. But I enjoy watching the Athletics.

I think my affinity for Oakland stems from parallels I see with the White Sox.

Both teams play a second fiddle to a a more "popular" crosstown team (Giants, Cubs)

Both teams I feel employ a sort of blue collar work ethic, which is reflective in their overall brand and advertisements.

I also feel Beane and KW share similar GM philosophies.

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 10:01 PM)
Wow Billy Beane is absolutely enamored with OBP. Between DeJesus/Barton/Willingham they should have an overall OBP pushing 400!

OBP is great, but when you're relying on Matsui as your main power source. I'm afraid all that hard work has gone to waste. If they only had a legit slugging threat...

Regardless Im always happy to see Oakland do well, their teams/players are always fun to watch.

They probably shouldn't rely on that much power, especially since they play in one of the best pitcher's parks in baseball. I do like their lineup though.

DeJesus LF

Crisp CF

Barton 1B

Willingham RF

Matsui DH

Suzuki C

Kouzmanoff 3B

Ellis 2B

Pennington SS

There's a lot of OBP in that lineup and you'll get decent power from Willingham, Matsui, and Kouzmanoff.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 17, 2010 -> 02:33 AM)
They probably shouldn't rely on that much power, especially since they play in one of the best pitcher's parks in baseball. I do like their lineup though.

DeJesus LF

Crisp CF

Barton 1B

Willingham RF

Matsui DH

Suzuki C

Kouzmanoff 3B

Ellis 2B

Pennington SS

There's a lot of OBP in that lineup and you'll get decent power from Willingham, Matsui, and Kouzmanoff.

Not a fan of 6-9. I think their pitching will make up for it. But the OBP on top is nice. Still, I think they could do with a thumper somewhere in there. Dunn would have looked nice instead of Matsui. Too bad for them!

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 10:01 PM)

They've still got two of the game's best power prospects in Chris Carter and Michael Taylor, though the latter did struggle last year after murdering the minors in 2009. And the Grant Green kid is arguably the top SS prospect in baseball right now. I like what the A's are doing right now. Though Beane should never, ever be forgiven for trading away the man in my avatar.

I see Willingham is a FA after next year. Deal is even better for the A's, as they most likely net two draft picks if they can't resign him.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 17, 2010 -> 11:24 AM)
Yankees sign Pedro Feliciano. http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5929488

Two years, 8 million with an option for a third year is what's being reported.

He's who I was hoping we were looking at for that other lefty spot out of the pen. Pretty pricey deal though for a loogy though.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 17, 2010 -> 11:24 AM)
Yankees sign Pedro Feliciano. http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5929488

Two years, 8 million with an option for a third year is what's being reported.

Pedro Feliciano and Russell Martin = the 2010-2011 offseason haul of the New York Yankees.

I love it.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 17, 2010 -> 01:41 PM)
Eric Patterson, he of the career slash-line of .224/299/.353, was the PTBNL is the Gonzalez deal.

Wow...

Remember when Eric Patterson was on the Cubs?

Speaking of San Diego, they did get O-Dawg, 2 years $11 million.

What's funny is that he's being paid as much as A-Gon, so he's literally A-Gon's replacement on the payroll.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 17, 2010 -> 02:00 PM)
Pretty good deal for them. Feliciano's a good reliever.

I like the third year option. 3-year guaranteed contracts have proven to be suicide.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 17, 2010 -> 02:02 PM)
Wow...

Remember when Eric Patterson was on the Cubs?

Speaking of San Diego, they did get O-Dawg, 2 years $11 million.

What's funny is that he's being paid as much as A-Gon, so he's literally A-Gon's replacement on the payroll.

If I'm Hoyer I'd much rather have a no-name minor leaguer in A ball that might have a shot, even if it's a 5% shot, at becoming something. Patterson is horrible.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 17, 2010 -> 02:56 PM)
That's a good question. I haven't heard a thing about Freddy Garcia. It's like Joyce Dewitt post Threes Company.

he's a veteran pitcher, likely he and his agent are in no rush to get him signed... he won't get crazy money, but the longer he waits, even it's on the eve or first week or two of ST, he'll have more interested teams likely.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Dec 17, 2010 -> 04:16 PM)
he's a veteran pitcher, likely he and his agent are in no rush to get him signed... he won't get crazy money, but the longer he waits, even it's on the eve or first week or two of ST, he'll have more interested teams likely.

That hasn't really worked the last couple of years. The longer the non-big name guys waited, the smaller their offers got.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 17, 2010 -> 04:19 PM)
That hasn't really worked the last couple of years. The longer the non-big name guys waited, the smaller their offers got.

hadn't really tracked that, surprised, guess you roll the dice if you wait because if a SP gets knicked the first week FG is a great short term replacement... wonder if teams are waiting to sign him to see how everything shakes out.