2010-11 MLB Offseason Catch-All

witesoxfan

General managers are also dealing with a new timetable regarding negotiations with free agents and the tendering of contract offers to arbitration-eligible players. As a result, there could be more substantive trade talks here than is normal the case this early in the offseason.

This year's meetings have taken on a rare urgency given the fact that baseball's five-year collective bargaining agreement with the players union expires in less than 13 months. As a result, the closed-door meetings are expected to begin laying the groundwork for upcoming negotiations with union leaders. The two-day GM meetings will close Wednesday at about the same time baseball's owners will gather in the same meetings at the Waldorf-Astoria hotel. Selig reportedly asked the GMs to hold their meetings at the same time and site as the owners to create synergy between the two groups Among other topics that could be discussed here is the implementation of an international draft, which the union would likely fight.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This would be sweet, but i'm sure the Sox don't have enough prospects to give up: Per Rotoworld

Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Diamondbacks are listening to offers for outfielder Justin Upton.

Upton hasn't met the lofty expectations that were bestowed upon him as the No. 1 pick in the 2005 MLB Amateur Draft, but he's only 23 and still posted a respectable .273/.356/.442 batting line this year with 17 home runs and 18 stolen bases in 133 games. It's going to take a serious haul of prospects to lure him away from the Diamondbacks' grasp. Nov. 16 - 11:48 am et

Edited by smalls2598

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 11:29 AM)
This would be sweet, but i'm sure the Sox don't have enough prospects to give up: Per Rotoworld

Definitely, although I bet it starts at like Sale & Beckham. Upton's contract isn't too bad either, only his age 26 & 27 seasons cost $14.5 million. But that is through 2015.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 12:32 PM)
Definitely, although I bet it starts at like Sale & Beckham. Upton's contract isn't too bad either, only his age 26 & 27 seasons cost $14.5 million. But that is through 2015.

I wonder if something could be done around D1 there. The D-backs really need LHP, they have a young rotation with no one really "established" or playoff-tested, and they'd still be saving money by moving Upton's contract.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 11:42 AM)
I wonder if something could be done around D1 there. The D-backs really need LHP, they have a young rotation with no one really "established" or playoff-tested, and they'd still be saving money by moving Upton's contract.

That could be true. Despite the Giants winning it all, they aren't some Yankee-like unbeatable powerhouse. That division is very winnable with a couple smart moves. (And a bit of luck as always)

Justin Upton has a chance to be the best player in baseball. I would trade a ton to get him.

And on a side note, the Marlins are apparently on the verge of signing John Buck to a 3-year deal. That would eliminate one of AJ's potential suitors (and Buck getting a 3-year deal might also set an ugly precedent for AJ to work with).

QUOTE (SoxPride56 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 03:58 PM)
Where do I sign? I would do that deal in a second.

I would too. I think the Dbacks would ask for Beckham/Sale along with Danks though, and I don't think Kenny says ok to that. So I think the furthest he goes is Danks + Vicedo/Morel + some high upside prospect. Maybe even Mitchell is asked for since he's an OF.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 04:00 PM)
I would too. I think the Dbacks would ask for Beckham/Sale along with Danks though, and I don't think Kenny says ok to that. So I think the furthest he goes is Danks + Vicedo/Morel + some high upside prospect. Maybe even Mitchell is asked for since he's an OF.

Think about the comparable though. If the D-Backs price was Beckham/Sale along with Danks...that's roughly equivalent to asking the Red Sox to give up Lester, and then saying it's not enough and we need an MLB ready or MLB established top prospect to go along with him.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 04:11 PM)
Jason Churchill says he thinks the Braves would be a big player in an Upton deal, and Keith Law says that the Royals make a lot of sense, which would scare the hell out of all of us.

It'd depend on what the D-Backs are looking for. It's entirely possible that they could be 100% insistent on getting MLB-established talent for him, rather than a trio/quartet of prospects.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 04:12 PM)
It'd depend on what the D-Backs are looking for. It's entirely possible that they could be 100% insistent on getting MLB-established talent for him, rather than a trio/quartet of prospects.

Churchill suggests the Dbacks would want high-contact players since they are probably sick of players striking out 145+ times a year (Reynolds, LaRoche, Upton, Johnson, Young). But I would think they would love some pitching too.

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 04:27 PM)
From that article:

"Arizona would likely want three players for Upton — a backend reliever, a starter and a bat."

If they're demanding 3 pieces...they're not getting MLB-ready pieces. For the Red Sox, for example, it'd be like Bard + Ellsbury...but only because they seem ready to move Ellsbury anyway.

Danks, Santos/Infante, Viciedo/Escobar would fit that description though.

For the BoSox, Ellsbury, Bard, and Felix Doubront isn't a spectacular deal in my head. Anyone disagree and really like the last guy?

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 03:27 PM)
From that article:

"Arizona would likely want three players for Upton — a backend reliever, a starter and a bat."

I would say that Arizona would be looking at Danks/Floyd, Sale (when he actually becomes eligible to be traded, which is not until like January), Viciedo, and Morel (because, while both are solid prospects, neither are good enough prospects to be worth it).

Upton is a phenomenal talent, but he is not worth that, and I don't think the Sox need to be involved on this. They are just simply not in a position to be giving up whatever minor league depth that they have for a player who is still a bit of a project.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 03:36 PM)
I would say that Arizona would be looking at Danks/Floyd, Sale (when he actually becomes eligible to be traded, which is not until like January), Viciedo, and Morel (because, while both are solid prospects, neither are good enough prospects to be worth it).

Upton is a phenomenal talent, but he is not worth that, and I don't think the Sox need to be involved on this. They are just simply not in a position to be giving up whatever minor league depth that they have for a player who is still a bit of a project.

That click you heard is the sound of Kenny Williams hanging up.