2010-11 MLB Offseason Catch-All

witesoxfan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 01:32 PM)
Thanks, hadn't really heard of them before. Sounds like the D-backs may be taking the whole "experience from a winning team" angle a bit too far.

Either that...or they want depth at their 1b position because they're planning on going with the kid there (aka brandon allen).

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 01:19 PM)
Dbacks traded a 19-year-old starter who had pretty good peripherals (9 K/9 to a 2.7 BB/9) for a 28-year-old 1B who is probably just a back-up player. Makes no sense for the Dbacks whom is thought to be trading off their talented players.

He doesn't really sound like that great of a prospect. A 6'1" 170lb righty taken in the 11th round who sits 88-93 with the chance of developing an above average curveball. I doubt the DBacks thought much of him given what they got in return.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 02:42 PM)
Cliff Lee finishing 7th in the Cy Young is like Jeter winning the Gold Glove.

I disagree. All six of the pitchers that finished ahead of him had great seasons as well. Felix/Price/Weaver/Clay all had lower ERAs, CC was tied with him, Lester had 40 more K's in fewer innings. Lee had some struggles when he first got to Texas, I think 7th is where he belongs, if not below Cahill or Soriano.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 04:00 PM)
I disagree. All six of the pitchers that finished ahead of him had great seasons as well. Felix/Price/Weaver/Clay all had lower ERAs, CC was tied with him, Lester had 40 more K's in fewer innings. Lee had some struggles when he first got to Texas, I think 7th is where he belongs, if not below Cahill or Soriano.

I would have given Cliff the Cy Young, but I figured he would at least finish in 2nd. 7th just makes me lose faith in the Cy Young award now as well.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 03:14 PM)
I would have given Cliff the Cy Young, but I figured he would at least finish in 2nd. 7th just makes me lose faith in the Cy Young award now as well.

Really? I don't really follow many of the sabermetric stats, but glancing at the everyday pitching stats, I think there were several pitchers who had better 2010 regular seasons than Lee did. His ridculously low walk total does stand out, but other than that nothing from last season makes me say Cliff Lee = 2010 Cy Young.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 04:28 PM)
Really? I don't really follow many of the sabermetric stats, but glancing at the everyday pitching stats, I think there were several pitchers who had better 2010 regular seasons than Lee did. His ridculously low walk total does stand out, but other than that nothing from last season makes me say Cliff Lee = 2010 Cy Young.

His historically good peripherals stand out to me. Intentional walks aside, he had 183 Ks to 16 BB. That's 11.43 K/BB, good for the BEST ALL TIME. Even in Pedro Martinez's amazing years, he was churning out 8-9 K/BB rates. Only 1 other person is history has EVER posted a K/BB rate above 10.

K/BB is an extremely pitcher-specific stat. Hits, runs, wins, all have some sort of effect from their defense. K/BB are just between the hitter and the pitcher. No one else factors in. Then add in the fact that Cliff pitched through 2 injuries (abdominal and back), AND pitched 1/3 of his season in Texas, and I think he deserves a LOT more respect than the vote shows. I am not outraged that he lost, but outraged that he would not even crack the top 3.

Also, if you want sabermetics, Lee had a 7.1 WAR to Felix's 6.2 WAR.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 03:38 PM)
His historically good peripherals stand out to me. Intentional walks aside, he had 183 Ks to 16 BB. That's 11.43 K/BB, good for the BEST ALL TIME. Even in Pedro Martinez's amazing years, he was churning out 8-9 K/BB rates. Only 1 other person is history has EVER posted a K/BB rate above 10.

K/BB is an extremely pitcher-specific stat. Hits, runs, wins, all have some sort of effect from their defense. K/BB are just between the hitter and the pitcher. No one else factors in. Then add in the fact that Cliff pitched through 2 injuries (abdominal and back), AND pitched 1/3 of his season in Texas, and I think he deserves a LOT more respect than the vote shows. I am not outraged that he lost, but outraged that he would not even crack the top 3.

Also, if you want sabermetics, Lee had a 7.1 WAR to Felix's 6.2 WAR.

I never even saw Lee's name mentioned in award talks before the announcement, so thats why I was wondering why you were so adamant about Lee being in top 3. His walk totals are historically impressive and you can't argue with the best K/BB of all time. I don't necessarily disagree with his 7th place finish, but I can definitely see where you are coming from.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Nov 18, 2010 -> 01:04 PM)
Felix AL Cy Young.

Well it's good to know the Cy Young award is still legit. Hopefully the Gold Glove can be fixed soon.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 03:33 AM)
AL Gold Glove Voting For the Next Zillion Years - SS

1. Derek Jeter 989456 points

2. Charles Barkley 87 points

3. Ralph Nader 6 points

etc.

etc.

etc.

When the hell did you crawl out of your little hole?

Edited by J.Reedfan8

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 05:35 PM)
Larry Rothschild is taking his talents to NYC*. Mark Gonzales and Cowley have both referred to him as a rat in some tweets. What is that about?

*Yankees

The guy gets more out of pitchers than anyone...Ryan Dempster owes him millions.

This is a real bad move by the cubs