November LIST ideas?

knightni

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 01:06 PM)
wait wait wait, as in the town still allows Haloween to take over the town by closing streets and allowing a giant street party

or

they stopped the over the top, college kids from three states crashing everywhere, shutting down??

That. The strip has been shut down on halloween for a while now. Hence why I SIU has an unofficial halloween the week before now a days.

I love the beer idea, but I understand that there are some non-beer drinkers here. Maybe that could be a second list someday.

Otherwise, I like the video games idea, but my list would look a lot different than some of the others, I'm sure. Duke Nuke 'Em would be high on my list, and that's a computer game. Then there's Sim City...

Other ideas:

Favorite vacation spots

Favorite books (another tough one, I'm sure)

Favorite action movies

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 3, 2010 -> 08:10 AM)
I still like the famous facial haired people in athletics idea.

Famous facial haired people, period. Not just in athletics.

But as for lists, there are always going to be people who cant or dont want to contribute. Yes, some people dont drink beer, some people may not play video games or read though. I'm fine with any of the proposed lists this time, but I didnt participate in the last one because I dont watch that genre much. It's going to happen regardless of the list. Just sayin.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Nov 3, 2010 -> 09:58 AM)
If we can't do beer because not everyone drinks, I think video games would be out because not everyone plays video games. I bet there are more people on here that drink beer than play video games.

For me, it's more the point that ni is not a beer drinker. He puts a ton of time into doing the off-season SoxTalk lists and does an outstanding job of it, so I'd at least like him to enjoy the subject matter of the lists he's compiles.

As for video games, I'd love an old fart offshoot list that just considered back-in-the-day coin-op arcade games. It was a totally different world when you had to sup[port your habit a quarter at a time down at the burnout arcade.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 3, 2010 -> 09:16 AM)
For me, it's more the point that ni is not a beer drinker. He puts a ton of time into doing the off-season SoxTalk lists and does an outstanding job of it, so I'd at least like him to enjoy the subject matter of the lists he's compiles.

As for video games, I'd love an old fart offshoot list that just considered back-in-the-day coin-op arcade games. It was a totally different world when you had to sup[port your habit a quarter at a time down at the burnout arcade.

Oh thats true. Video games would make for an odd list. I'm not sure how a video game list would turn out really. It would either be a mixture of current and old school games, or 20 games that one generation hasn't played. Personally I am 24 and I would vote for a lot of NES, Sega Genesis, and Nintendo 64 games. People older would probably vote more Arcade games, and younger would vote for XBox, and PS3 games. Maybe we should add a pole with the top ideas from this thread and vote on which list to do?

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Nov 3, 2010 -> 08:58 AM)
If we can't do beer because not everyone drinks, I think video games would be out because not everyone plays video games. I bet there are more people on here that drink beer than play video games.

How about favorite beers to drink while playing video games?

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 01:06 PM)
wait wait wait, as in the town still allows Haloween to take over the town by closing streets and allowing a giant street party

or

they stopped the over the top, college kids from three states crashing everywhere, shutting down??

Kinda like the crack down on Unofficial St. Patty's Day in Champaign

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 3, 2010 -> 11:21 AM)
Meh, sounds like work, but as long as I can drink a beer while writing about beer I'm game.

General info. Maybe two or three paragraphs.

Where it's made, its history, how it tastes, your personal memory or someone else's personal memory of it.

Heres the thing i'm a beer drinker, but I don't drink 20 different kinds of beer. I rotate between like 4 or 5 so it wouldn't be a very good list. It also changes based on mood/taste so there wouldn't be a solid #1.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 3, 2010 -> 10:22 AM)
General info. Maybe two or three paragraphs.

Where it's made, its history, how it tastes, your personal memory or someone else's personal memory of it.

You can get some decent info on well-known beers on Wikipedia, but I've found that RateBeer and Beer Avdocate have very good info on just about every beer out there.

QUOTE (Cali @ Nov 3, 2010 -> 10:57 AM)
Heres the thing i'm a beer drinker, but I don't drink 20 different kinds of beer. I rotate between like 4 or 5 so it wouldn't be a very good list. It also changes based on mood/taste so there wouldn't be a solid #1.

I agree here. I review beers on ratebeer.com, and I'm up to about 390 reviews but I still migrate towards 10 or less that are my favorites. Plus, the season really changes my tastes. I love a cold Blue Moon in July, but give me a Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout in the middle of December.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Nov 3, 2010 -> 09:38 AM)
Oh thats true. Video games would make for an odd list. I'm not sure how a video game list would turn out really. It would either be a mixture of current and old school games, or 20 games that one generation hasn't played. Personally I am 24 and I would vote for a lot of NES, Sega Genesis, and Nintendo 64 games. People older would probably vote more Arcade games, and younger would vote for XBox, and PS3 games. Maybe we should add a pole with the top ideas from this thread and vote on which list to do?

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Greatest game ever, no arguments

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 3, 2010 -> 11:14 AM)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Greatest game ever, no arguments

I swear to God I was just thinking that! Would definitely be my number one. That monster at the end was vicious. I'm gonna have to buy a 64 again just to play that.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Nov 3, 2010 -> 12:21 PM)
I do worry a bit about a beer list. I'm anticipating a Corona and Dos Equis landing near the top which would be cringe-worthy

Without limiting the category to micro/craft/regional brands, yes you do run the risk of some of the megas showing up high on the list — but that will just alert you as to who you should and shouldn't pick as a drinking buddy. :lolhitting