Will Konerko be in a White Sox uniform come 2011?

maggsmaggs

Konerko and White Sox 2011  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Will Konerko be in a White Sox uniform come 2011?

• Yes
    • No

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 1, 2010 -> 08:35 PM)
I said "no", but there aren't many good options out there.

Astros

Braves

Cubs

Rays

Giants

Indians

Rangers

Tigers

White Sox

Pena, Huff, Berkman, Dunn, Lee, LaRoche, Branyan, and Overbay are all solid, if unspectacular options, and that's not include Nick Johnson either. Beyond that, the Sox could easily go with Quentin or Viciedo at 1B.

I don't think the Sox will bring Konerko back. As much as he's done for the organization, I just don't see how the Sox will be able to afford him, nor do I think they should commit $10+ mill annually, even if just for 2-3 years, on a mid 30s 1B who, prior to this past season, had put up like 3 straight seasons of ~.850 OPS seasons (good, but not spectacular by any stretch).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 03:05 AM)
Pena, Huff, Berkman, Dunn, Lee, LaRoche, Branyan, and Overbay are all solid, if unspectacular options, and that's not include Nick Johnson either. Beyond that, the Sox could easily go with Quentin or Viciedo at 1B.

I don't think the Sox will bring Konerko back. As much as he's done for the organization, I just don't see how the Sox will be able to afford him, nor do I think they should commit $10+ mill annually, even if just for 2-3 years, on a mid 30s 1B who, prior to this past season, had put up like 3 straight seasons of ~.850 OPS seasons (good, but not spectacular by any stretch).

How can they not afford him when they can afford Edwin Jackson of all people?? And to give Teahen money like that??

I said no, because I don't have much faith in our team lately, but I think he should come back at 10 mill a year for 3 years.

30 mill; 3 years.

I can't imagine somebody giving him more than 30 for 3.

It would be sad to see him walk and have a good year somewhere else. That Thome thing was disheartening this past season and we really need paulie even if he declines a bit which he probably will.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 1, 2010 -> 11:22 PM)
How can they not afford him when they can afford Edwin Jackson of all people?? And to give Teahen money like that??

I said no, because I don't have much faith in our team lately, but I think he should come back at 10 mill a year for 3 years.

30 mill; 3 years.

I can't imagine somebody giving him more than 30 for 3.

It would be sad to see him walk and have a good year somewhere else. That Thome thing was disheartening this past season and we really need paulie even if he declines a bit which he probably will.

There's a huge difference between Thome and the upocming Konerko contract, Thome only got 1.5 million which is nothing, Konerko will get aaround 3/30 and very easily more.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 04:29 AM)
There's a huge difference between Thome and the upocming Konerko contract, Thome only got 1.5 million which is nothing, Konerko will get aaround 3/30 and very easily more.

Very true. I more meant that it was disheartening to see Thome wasn't washed up and being a thorn in the Sox side.

Even though Paulie will command top dollar, I'd hate to see him go elsewhere and rake.

Like fathom said, he may want to go elsewhere. We may make the decision easy for him if it's not a competitive offer.

He may want to try it elsewhere, especially if somebody gives him an extra year or two. This is his final contract of note. To his credit, he had a great contract year. Now he has to cash in one final time.

On another note ... would you let Dye come back for a Jones-like contract?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 1, 2010 -> 11:37 PM)
Very true. I more meant that it was disheartening to see Thome wasn't washed up and being a thorn in the Sox side.

Even though Paulie will command top dollar, I'd hate to see him go elsewhere and rake.

Like fathom said, he may want to go elsewhere. We may make the decision easy for him if it's not a competitive offer.

He may want to try it elsewhere, especially if somebody gives him an extra year or two. This is his final contract of note. To his credit, he had a great contract year. Now he has to cash in one final time.

On another note ... would you let Dye come back for a Jones-like contract?

Depends on if he's okay with being a DH, and what other options we have. Jones was a good fit because his D would altleast be good, JD would have to relegated to DH.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 01:13 AM)
2 yrs/21 M, player 3rd yr option for $8M

Baseball contracts are hardly ever weighted less at the end (most that are are long term deals, like ARod's), and an option never would be. That contract simply isn't feasible.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 02:28 AM)
Baseball contracts are hardly ever weighted less at the end (most that are are long term deals, like ARod's), and an option never would be. That contract simply isn't feasible.

You could get the lower $ value option on the end if you added say a $2 million buyout or made the option mutual.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 1, 2010 -> 10:03 PM)
Only other team I've seen that's gonna go hard after him is...the D-Backs.

And of course, he lives in Arizona.

I think yes though.

WHere have you heard that Arizona will go after him? I really don't think they will...they've gone youth/savings this year with the Jackson and Haren trades, tried to load up on young pitching, and they've got options at 1b (LaRoche, who I know they've talked about resigning, and Brandon Allen).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 07:40 AM)
WHere have you heard that Arizona will go after him? I really don't think they will...they've gone youth/savings this year with the Jackson and Haren trades, tried to load up on young pitching, and they've got options at 1b (LaRoche, who I know they've talked about resigning, and Brandon Allen).

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5745666

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 07:40 AM)

It has been reported by Bruce Levine:

Paul Konerko may have played his last game as a member of the White Sox.

ESPNChicago.com White Sox blog

Baseball blog The latest news and notes on the White Sox. Blog

Konerko, a free agent five days after the 2010 World Series ends, will be an offseason priority of the Arizona Diamondbacks, according to two major league sources.

Konerko has been a member of the White Sox since 1999. He is coming off an MVP-caliber season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5745666

I am skeptical too about their interest and don't really trust Levine like I did. His source is probably Konerko's agent who is using the media to start the bidding war.

I don't think Paul will be back in 2011. Based on his comments at the end of the season, I feel like he either wants to be closer to his home in Arizona or with a team that he thinks has a better chance of contending.

I also feel that KW wants to use the financial resources on a younger and/or different type of impact player. This could simply be a left-handed power bat like Dunn or a younger, highly-skilled player like Kemp.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 10:15 AM)
My guess is he is tired of the Ozzie/Kenny drama, sees that the Sox are not going to beat the Twins the next couple of years and jumps to a team with more stability and a better chance of winning.

Well that would put to rest the D-Backs rumor from Levine.

So now that players don't have to file for free agency, and it is done automatically, do... clubs get 5 days to exclusively negotiate with 'their' respective players, example Sox - Paulie, Twins - Thome, Phillies - Werth, Rangers - Lee, am I correct?

Edited by justBLAZE

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 11:33 AM)
So now that players don't have to file for free agency, and it is done automatically, do... clubs get 5 days to exclusively negotiate with 'their' respective players, example Sox - Paulie, Twins - Thome, Phillies - Werth, Rangers - Lee, am I correct?

According to the Trib, the Sox have exclusive negotiating rights with PK through Saturday. After that, the flood gates open.