America Votes 2010

HuskyCaucasian

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, let me get this right, here's the narrative being given to me by the TV networks...

Voters think government is broken, it's not getting anything done, so the best way to fix this is switching control of the house to the republicans who will infuse MORE conflict by completely opposing anything Obama wants to do.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 08:28 PM)
So, let me get this right, here's the narrative being given to me by the TV networks...

Voters think government is broken, it's not getting anything done, so the best way to fix this is switching control of the house to the republicans who will infuse MORE conflict by completely opposing anything Obama wants to do.

Just don't listen to pundits. It's too complicated to be explained in like the minute each gets to explain things.

Well, so far things are looking good for Dayton. Keeping my fingers crossed because Emmer is just icky.

Hoping Oberstar can keep his seat also.

And for Illinois politics, I hope Foster can keep his seat.

No way to line item veto, thats giving to much power to president.

The problem is that people cant come to reasonable solutions anymore, the US has just outgrown the original idea of the federal govt. What makes sense for Chicago, IL may not even make sense for Carbondale, let alone a state that has absolutely no similarities to us.

The only solution is to give a lot of power back to the states, and let the states decide on most issues, with the federal govt making sure that no state goes to far. If Kansas wants to let a mule marry a donkey, what ever. If Alaska wants to let people own bazookas, I dont really care. If California wants to legalize lsd, go for it.

I am a Federalist at heart and I believe in a strong federal government. But this s*** is just to f***ed up. There is no way we can get the whole United States to agree on all of these issues, without a common enemy or unifying idea we are divided, no one is going to give in or compromise, even if it is the best for all of us. I may not think Republicans or Democrats are smart or good or whatever, but I certainly can tell you that I wouldnt want be on a ship that had 2 different captains, with each captain completely changing course every 2 weeks. Id rather have the s***ty captain who at least heads one direction, most things really just dont matter in the end, but we need some sort of direction. Otherwise we are going to look back 50 years from now and wonder how the US went from a super power to China's b****.

Sorry for the rant, I hate elections.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 08:47 PM)
No way to line item veto, thats giving to much power to president.

The problem is that people cant come to reasonable solutions anymore, the US has just outgrown the original idea of the federal govt. What makes sense for Chicago, IL may not even make sense for Carbondale, let alone a state that has absolutely no similarities to us.

The only solution is to give a lot of power back to the states, and let the states decide on most issues, with the federal govt making sure that no state goes to far. If Kansas wants to let a mule marry a donkey, what ever. If Alaska wants to let people own bazookas, I dont really care. If California wants to legalize lsd, go for it.

I am a Federalist at heart and I believe in a strong federal government. But this s*** is just to f***ed up. There is no way we can get the whole United States to agree on all of these issues, without a common enemy or unifying idea we are divided, no one is going to give in or compromise, even if it is the best for all of us. I may not think Republicans or Democrats are smart or good or whatever, but I certainly can tell you that I wouldnt want be on a ship that had 2 different captains, with each captain completely changing course every 2 weeks. Id rather have the s***ty captain who at least heads one direction, most things really just dont matter in the end, but we need some sort of direction. Otherwise we are going to look back 50 years from now and wonder how the US went from a super power to China's b****.

Sorry for the rant, I hate elections.

I hear you. I don't think the President needs power to decide on social issues for all the states. But the Presidency needs more power in budgeting and other financial issues. Not enough people in House/Senate/White House are all able to do political unpopular stuff all at once. It's easier if the President has more power I think.

It changes the nature of the legislation.

Now if you want to maybe say that President has line item veto on budget only and then that 1 item could be over ridden by 2/3 vote of House and Senate, I could potentially be persuaded.

But even cutting a single word can alter how a law is written or interpreted. For every word there is in the Constitution, there is probably 1,000 words of legal precedence discussing exactly what it meant. You cant let a President change the intention of the law.

Kirk- Alexi is going to be a razor thin margin. From what I can tell Alexi may hold on by a few thousand votes. It looks like the suburbs have caught up with Cook County and some of the biggest Democrat strongholds are still at less than 80% reporting. Its going to be super close and a chance that Alexi gets the unexpired term while Kirk gets the regular seat.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 08:54 PM)
It changes the nature of the legislation.

Now if you want to maybe say that President has line item veto on budget only and then that 1 item could be over ridden by 2/3 vote of House and Senate, I could potentially be persuaded.

But even cutting a single word can alter how a law is written or interpreted. For every word there is in the Constitution, there is probably 1,000 words of legal precedence discussing exactly what it meant. You cant let a President change the intention of the law.

Interesting thoughts - and yea, would be a good thread offshoot.