Offseason gameplan

typewritermender

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 09:31 PM)
I am going to have to respectfully disagree.

The starting pitching market is pretty thin and guys like Westbrook/Garland/Pavano are going to get big money for MULTIPLE years. Plenty of teams (including the Cards)would take Buehrle for only one year at 14,000,000. Now he doesn't have much value, but I wouldn't say it is negative. Come to think of it, isn't there an automatic escalator if MB is traded? That might damper things...

They already have $72 million invested in just 6 players. Their payroll has never been $100 million, and their pitching coach is known to pick up garbage pitchers and salvage their careers. They aren't gonna take MB for $14 million, then pay their other 18 players less than $14 million total. Plus, I think they would like to save some cash to offer that 1B of their a long term deal relatively soon. Not to mention Wainwright's contract may be running out soon (not sure how his options work), they are gonna want to pay him too. They will NOT take on MB's salary.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 08:50 PM)
Danks, Danks, Beckham, Mitchell to San Diego - Gonzalez, Ludwick to Chicago. + 8 Million?

This is an absolutely terrible trade. Our best young starting pitcher, our young/cheap/talented starting 2B, and one of our top 3-4 prospects for one year of Gonzalez and Ludwick? This trade would completely destroy our organization in the long-run.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 07:38 AM)
They already have $72 million invested in just 6 players. Their payroll has never been $100 million, and their pitching coach is known to pick up garbage pitchers and salvage their careers. They aren't gonna take MB for $14 million, then pay their other 18 players less than $14 million total. Plus, I think they would like to save some cash to offer that 1B of their a long term deal relatively soon. Not to mention Wainwright's contract may be running out soon (not sure how his options work), they are gonna want to pay him too. They will NOT take on MB's salary.

Guys like De La Rosa and Pavano are going to be ten million for three or four years.... and will cost picks. MB being at least a Type B free agent is not a horrible play at one year and 14,000,000. And I clearly stated that the Sox and Cards were not a great match.... My argument is to Buehrle's value.

Edited by GREEDY

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 09:05 AM)
This is an absolutely terrible trade. Our best young starting pitcher, our young/cheap/talented starting 2B, and one of our top 3-4 prospects for one year of Gonzalez and Ludwick? This trade would completely destroy our organization in the long-run.

I'd bet the Pads would bite at a package of Linebrink and Ozzie Guillen.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 06:00 PM)
I'd bet the Pads would bite at a package of Linebrink and Ozzie Guillen.

So you're implying the only two offers are either our most valuable pitcher, most valuable position player, and a top 3 minor leaguer or arguably the most worthless asshole on the roster and our manager.

The only point I was trying to make is that the trade you proposed was completely lopsided in the Padres favor and should never be offered. Whether the Padres would bite on a lesser offer is irrelevant.

Offseason game plan just look at the approaches and the recent success of teams like Rangers, Giants, Rays, Phillies, etc. The gameplan is simple, "championship teams are built on pitching, defense, speed, and athleticism". That should be the gameplan.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 10, 2010 -> 10:15 PM)
As Beckham's biggest fan, I have no problems with him being dangled as trade bait. If you can get an impact power bat that's signed for more than a year, go ahead and do that.

Unless we're getting Mike Stanton back, I'd be disgusted with just about any trade involving Beckham and it would indeed confirm this franchise truly has no organizational direction going forward other than to "go for it" every year while coming up short to the troops in Minny.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 10, 2010 -> 10:33 PM)
Unless we're getting Mike Stanton back, I'd be disgusted with just about any trade involving Beckham and it would indeed confirm this franchise truly has no organizational direction going forward other than to "go for it" every year while coming up short to the troops in Minny.

yeah it would have to be for another young talent of equal value otherwise it makes no sense

I am kind of thinking KW might revisit Prince Fielder with Beckham as his bait, under the condition that Fielder gets an extension. Then again, I heard Ryan Braun is on the trading block, and he would be much more valuable due to positional value and especially his contract. Would also cost a ton to get him, but an OF of Pierre-Rios-Braun would be incredible.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 12:45 AM)
How about thinking of the radical and contemplating dangling Beckham for Colby Rasmus in a straight up swap? Maybe a A or AA filler from us?

Sox already have a CF for the next few years, then you have to fill the hole at 2B, good luck finding a youngster as talented as Beckham. I'm not against acquiring Rasmus, but not be giving up another everyday player of the future.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 08:22 AM)
Sox already have a CF for the next few years, then you have to fill the hole at 2B, good luck finding a youngster as talented as Beckham. I'm not against acquiring Rasmus, but not be giving up another everyday player of the future.

There has been some suggestion that the Sox would be interested in moving Rios to RF if they could find another person to play CF.

I just can't see them letting Beckham go though, even in a deal like that, unless they think his head REALLY isn't screwed on right after a year and a half in the dugout.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 09:59 AM)
I think the offseaon is going to more simple than a bunch of trading. I think Konerko will be with another team and Dunn brought in. AJ comes back at a reduced salary and I wouldn't be surprised to see Berkman brought in on the cheap to be the DH/1b.

That still leaves us with significant bullpen issues and Quentin as an incredibly weak defensive RF.

What KW needs to do is FOCUS hard on Adrian Gonzalez right now! If we can get him right away in the offseason- the organization can move on and not take that big of blow losing PK. I am not sure what it would cost to get A Gonz- but the GM has came out and said he will be listening to offers.

With that PK money- you can then sign Damon as your DH for a resonable price (5-6 mill) re-sign AJ and Putz and go out and sign Brandon Inge for 3B. It would be more of a 2005 offseason mind-set with cutting ties to Magglio.

I would love to move Quentin, but i think the organization wants to give him one more chance. Not to mention we will need his power or somebody with power out in RF.

MLBTR takes Tim Brown's Yahoo rumors and ponders who could be potential trade partners for the Sox if Beckham really is available.

Link: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/11/pote...on-beckham.html

I know this site is generally known for picking up other site's rumors but I don't think they are bad.