Vizquel Back

Heads22

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone else think this means Morel is a lock to be the starting 3B in 2011? I would think if we were considering a more expensive and proven option at 3B, then having Vizquel would be a bit of a luxury. I know $1.75 million isn't a lot of money, but we do have several big holes that need to be filled.

At least this should mean no more Teahen at 3B. Unfortunately, I don't see how he fits into the equation now. The only value Teahen provides to the team is a solid bat against righties as backup at several positions, but I'm not sure how much usage he'll really get now. Hopefully we sign or trade for a left-handed power bat for 1B/DH/RF, so that's one position where his value as a backup is minimal. Also, if Quentin remains on the team, that's another spot where Teahen has limited value. At this point, it probably makes the most sense to eat half his contract and see if someone will bite or try swapping him for another over-priced player that fits some need.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 02:44 PM)
Does anyone else think this means Morel is a lock to be the starting 3B in 2011? I would think if we were considering a more expensive and proven option at 3B, then having Vizquel would be a bit of a luxury. I know $1.75 million isn't a lot of money, but we do have several big holes that need to be filled.

At least this should mean no more Teahen at 3B. Unfortunately, I don't see how he fits into the equation now. The only value Teahen provides to the team is a solid bat against righties as backup at several positions, but I'm not sure how much usage he'll really get now. Hopefully we sign or trade for a left-handed power bat for 1B/DH/RF, so that's one position where his value as a backup is minimal. Also, if Quentin remains on the team, that's another spot where Teahen has limited value. At this point, it probably makes the most sense to eat half his contract and see if someone will bite or try swapping him for another over-priced player that fits some need.

Yeah, I think Morel was a lock going into this offseason. He's got nothing else to prove in the minors.

They know they blew it giving Teahen a 3-yr contract last year. He'll be an overpaid bench player, and really he might not be that bad in that role. He can play all over the field and can hit a little bit.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 02:44 PM)

Regardless of who plays 3B, for $1.75M you get a guy who plays plus defense at all three skill infield positions for your bench, and at the same time, you get an infield coach for younger players. That's a pretty good deal, really. The only relationship I can see with Morel is that if they have him, and/or Viciedo, playing the field at 3B and/or 1B, that's so much more the reason to have Omar around to coach them a bit. Think about this: if your infield is Morel-Ramirez-Beckham-Viciedo, then you've got 3 guys who can learn a ton from Omar and a 4th who already has.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 03:03 PM)
As long as he's a defensive replacement like he was coming into 2010, sure, why not.

Although nearly $2 million seems a bit much.

He's really got two roles - UT infielder (and he's what I would consider "plus" at that role), plus infield coach. Hell, I think his influence on Alexei alone was worth half his contract from last year or more. Guys like Morel and Beckham and maybe Viciedo could learn a lot.

Not a fan of it only because Ozzie will probably give him as many if not more at-bats this season. I think the year he had with us with the bat was more luck than anything. As long as his at-bats decrease (barring injury, or letting the kid Morel play) he's a fine glove off the bench. Morel is already a stud with the glove, so it's not like he's gonna help him much there. Hopefully Beckham can take the next step.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 03:06 PM)
Not a fan of it only because Ozzie will probably give him as many if not more at-bats this season. I think the year he had with us with the bat was more luck than anything. As long as his at-bats decrease (barring injury, or letting the kid Morel play) he's a fine glove off the bench. Morel is already a stud with the glove, so it's not like he's gonna help him much there. Hopefully Beckham can take the next step.

Yeah, Omar's not hitting around .300 again.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 09:04 PM)
He's really got two roles - UT infielder (and he's what I would consider "plus" at that role), plus infield coach. Hell, I think his influence on Alexei alone was worth half his contract from last year or more. Guys like Morel and Beckham and maybe Viciedo could learn a lot.

It'd be kind of cool to give him a title player/coach but that's not going to happen obviously. Scares me a little that Ozzie will be tempted to play him A LOT if Morel gets off to a slow start with the bat. It's not that Omar isn't OK, but it'll be the same where collectively our lineup could be weak in nature with too many Omars in it on an everyday basis. Losing AJ and Paulie on paper we have slots to fill.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 03:06 PM)

There is a big difference between a guy who appears to be a future stud based on minor league play, and a guy who is actually a defensive stud in the majors. You make it seem like its assured, but its really not. That's where Omar can be a help.

I like Morel, but he's not a "stud with the glove" until he does it in the big leagues for a while.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 03:08 PM)
There is a big difference between a guy who appears to be a future stud based on minor league play, and a guy who is actually a defensive stud in the majors. You make it seem like its assured, but its really not. That's where Omar can be a help.

I like Morel, but he's not a "stud with the glove" until he does it in the big leagues for a while.

No he really is. I've watched the kid since college. It's not like he's gonna lose it. It's like saying Zimmerman was a stud since SUU and all of a sudden he's gonna lose it at the big league level. The reports are there. Were not comparing bats to translate here.

Edited by J.Reedfan8