Think Voters are a little over-sensitive?

jasonxctf

Will County officials have reported no major problems at polling places, but there was one good-sized misinterpretation.

Chuck Pelkie, a spokesman for the Will County States Attorney's Office, said an anonymous caller complained about a sign outside the New Lenox Fire Department polling site which read "It's time for change."

"Apparently, the caller thought there were some political overtones to that," Pelkie said.

The truth was that the fire department had placed the sign there -- to remind people to change the batteries in their smoke detectors.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 03:35 PM)
Will County officials have reported no major problems at polling places, but there was one good-sized misinterpretation.

Chuck Pelkie, a spokesman for the Will County States Attorney's Office, said an anonymous caller complained about a sign outside the New Lenox Fire Department polling site which read "It's time for change."

"Apparently, the caller thought there were some political overtones to that," Pelkie said.

The truth was that the fire department had placed the sign there -- to remind people to change the batteries in their smoke detectors.

If it didn't reference smoke detectors or batteries, I can easily see where people could think that.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 03:50 PM)
If it didn't reference smoke detectors or batteries, I can easily see where people could think that.

Yes, it could have been done intentionally by someone at the FD to give them plausible deniability while still getting across a political message.

But, I still think that the voter was a little over-sensitive. Partisans on both sides are looking for reasons to cry "election fraud!"

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 06:01 PM)
Yes, it could have been done intentionally by someone at the FD to give them plausible deniability while still getting across a political message.

But, I still think that the voter was a little over-sensitive. Partisans on both sides are looking for reasons to cry "election fraud!"

Why shouldn't they? The other side is going to cry it.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 06:09 PM)
Because s***ty, broken politics has gotten us to where we are now?

And if my side stops with the s***ty broken politics, the other side is going to use that as an advantage and it's going to help them get votes. So why should my side let up?

(You'll note I haven't specified the side here even if you know which side I happen to be on. The logic is the same for both sides. If my side doesn't go 100% all out, then the other side gets the advantage. That's the game from now on. If my side doesn't filibuster everything, the other side wins because it gets policy wins. If my side doesn't accuse the other side of voter fraud, the other side is going to accuse my side of voter intimidation and use that as a means to get out their vote and intimidate voters on my side, but if I accuse them of voter fraud, I can use that as a GOTV mechanism for my side.)

Call it MAD applied to politics in the 21st century. If I give an inch, the other side isn't going to reciprocate, so why should I give that inch?