Yankees asked for permission to talk to Coop

TheChrisSamsa

Twitter: @SI_JonHeyman: #yankees asked #chisox for permission to interview pitching coach don cooper, but were rebuffed by chi. cooper has 1 yr to go on contract.

So, Joey Cora is in the mix for managerial jobs, Coop is wanted by the Yankees, Hahn was interviewed for at least one GM job. It seems like the coaching staff and front office are pretty well respected throughout the league. I'm not sure what it means for the White Sox, but there's a lot of really good baseball people in the organization.

QUOTE (PlunketChris @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 04:57 PM)
Twitter: @SI_JonHeyman: #yankees asked #chisox for permission to interview pitching coach don cooper, but were rebuffed by chi. cooper has 1 yr to go on contract.

So, Joey Cora is in the mix for managerial jobs, Coop is wanted by the Yankees, Hahn was interviewed for at least one GM job. It seems like the coaching staff and front office are pretty well respected throughout the league. I'm not sure what it means for the White Sox, but there's a lot of really good baseball people in the organization.

I know Cooper is a NY native, but why on Earth would the Sox ever consider this?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 05:18 PM)
If Cooper asked for it, they'd probably consider letting him, for goodwill reasons.

I feel like you see that for coaches being considered for managerial roles, but I can't think of a time where a team allowed another team to interview one of its coaches for the same position.

QUOTE (since56 @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 10:11 PM)
If they are so good then how come one playoff year in the last five?

Cause that's baseball.

And inexplicably after winning the WS and looking like we'd be a regular playoff participant we of late decided we can't get up for games against teams in our own division.

You got to beat Cleveland, KC, Detroit and Minnie and we just don't do it nearly enough.

If we get owned by Minnie next year as badly as this year, I would assume Oz and/or Ken will be fired.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 06:44 PM)
I'd do it for Robinson Cano and CC Sabathia.

It's crazy that the Yanks even asked this.

i dont think it is crazy to ask to talk to one of the more respected pitching coaches in the league. If they say yes, you win. If they say no, you never lost anything and you move on. Its just asking

QUOTE (PlunketChris @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 04:57 PM)

Not to mention Guillen being coveted by the Marlins. I know the idea is that the Sox are a ship of fools, but the rest of MLB sure doesn't seem to think so.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 07:38 PM)
Not to mention Guillen being coveted by the Marlins. I know the idea is that the Sox are a ship of fools, but the rest of MLB sure doesn't seem to think so.

Well to be fair, that idea is mostly echoed by Sox fanatics on a message board. That's where most irrational thoughts and comments on any team come from.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 07:38 PM)

I tend to think Coop and Hahn = good. Ozzie and Cora = not so good. I don't think the general consensus is that they're all fools.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 09:23 PM)
I tend to think Coop and Hahn = good. Ozzie and Cora = not so good. I don't think the general consensus is that they're all fools.

And yet all four of them had other franchises looking at them very seriously to lead their franchises to one degree or another.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 09:31 PM)
And yet all four of them had other franchises looking at them very seriously to lead their franchises to one degree or another.

Does the Marlins' interest in Guillen make him a good manager? I feel like the main reason the Marlins would want Guillen is due to him name and not his managerial skills. What other organizations are lining up for Guillen?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 10:56 PM)
Does the Marlins' interest in Guillen make him a good manager? I feel like the main reason the Marlins would want Guillen is due to him name and not his managerial skills. What other organizations are lining up for Guillen?

I dunno, isn't it always said that Guillen coaches National League style? I think most of Soxtalk's hatred of him revolves around the DH in one way or another.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 03:56 AM)

Not many because he already has ... a job.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 09:56 PM)

You don't bring in a manager because of name value. You bring in a manager because you think he's good.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 12:28 AM)
You don't bring in a manager because of name value. You bring in a manager because you think he's good.

Unless you're moving into a new stadium and are trying to sell tickets. I'm not saying that's a good reason to hire a manager, but everything I've read is that Loria is the one that wants Guillen. I've got to think that's for marketing purposes. He'd be a pretty popular figure in Miami and would bring a lot of interest to the team.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 02:34 AM)
Unless you're moving into a new stadium and are trying to sell tickets. I'm not saying that's a good reason to hire a manager, but everything I've read is that Loria is the one that wants Guillen. I've got to think that's for marketing purposes. He'd be a pretty popular figure in Miami and would bring a lot of interest to the team.

Who in the hell buys tickets because of the manager?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 02:34 AM)

Who in the hell buys tickets because of the manager?