Yankees asked for permission to talk to Coop

TheChrisSamsa

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 08:49 AM)
Who in the hell buys tickets because of the manager?

You're telling me fan interest in the White Sox didn't increase by hiring Guillen? I'm not saying a fan would buy tickets just to watch Guillen manage, but a big name manager can drive interest in the team and get more people to the games. If I had to guess, the Marlins are pretty low on the sports team totem pole in Miami. Hiring Guillen could help change that, especially with the size of the Latino community in Miami.

Let me ask you this. Do you honestly believe that Loria wanted Guillen strictly because he thinks Guillen is an elite manager?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 09:07 AM)
You're telling me fan interest in the White Sox didn't increase by hiring Guillen? I'm not saying a fan would buy tickets just to watch Guillen manage, but a big name manager can drive interest in the team and get more people to the games. If I had to guess, the Marlins are pretty low on the sports team totem pole in Miami. Hiring Guillen could help change that, especially with the size of the Latino community in Miami.

Let me ask you this. Do you honestly believe that Loria wanted Guillen strictly because he thinks Guillen is an elite manager?

I can tell you with 100% certainty that I have never, in the hundreds of games I have been to in my lifetime, bought a ticket because of who the manager was. Never. I'd love to hear from anyone else who has, but I have never heard anyone say that "Hey I want to get up and see the Twins and Sox so that I can see that Ron Gardenhire in action!"

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 09:12 AM)
I can tell you with 100% certainty that I have never, in the hundreds of games I have been to in my lifetime, bought a ticket because of who the manager was. Never. I'd love to hear from anyone else who has, but I have never heard anyone say that "Hey I want to get up and see the Twins and Sox so that I can see that Ron Gardenhire in action!"

I would've bought a ticket if Joe Torre was our manager. :unsure:

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 09:31 PM)
And yet all four of them had other franchises looking at them very seriously to lead their franchises to one degree or another.

And yet whenever Norv Turner gets fired he gets all sorts of teams interested in his terrible coaching abilities.

I just said people wouldn't buy tickets to directly watch Guillen manage, but his hiring may bring a level of excitement to the team and generate more fan interest, which could indirectly sell tickets. I don't know why that seems so far-fetched. Teams go after "big name" managers all the time. Why do you think guys like Guillen and Sandberg have been legit candidates for major league manager positions without a lot of experience?

I bought a ticket to a White Sox/Braves game to see Bobby Cox this year. I may or may not have attended the game anyway, but that was the final determining factor. I had never seen the man in person, and figured it was my last chance. :huh

QUOTE (PlunketChris @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 12:26 PM)
I bought a ticket to a White Sox/Braves game to see Bobby Cox this year. I may or may not have attended the game anyway, but that was the final determining factor. I had never seen the man in person, and figured it was my last chance. :huh

You bought a ticket to see a legendary manager in his last season who you had never seen before. Kinda not the same idea.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 05:09 PM)
I know Cooper is a NY native, but why on Earth would the Sox ever consider this?

Because if you develop a reputation as an organization that blocks their employees, it sends a bad message. Of course it could also be said that by saying sure talk to him, they may be sending a terrible message to Coop. Each situation is different.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 08:49 AM)
Who in the hell buys tickets because of the manager?

Ozzier attracts attention to the team. People start talking about the team instead of something else, all that buzz sells tickets.

The Yankees will consider Gil Patterson for pitching coach after being denied permission to talk to their No. 1 choice, Don Cooper, by the White Sox. Cooper, a New York native, would have been a natural. But Chicago understandably wants to hold on to him.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writ...l#ixzz14iohg4d8

Nice to see Coop get some recognition.

Or maybe it was on here, but I missed it.

Edited by maggsmaggs