Please just bring back Paulie

hawkubes

I'm sick of all these threads talking about possible replacements for Konerko. I understand that there's a very good chance he's gone. I know that the Sox are strapped for cash. I also gotta believe that Konerko would like to stick around. The talks about Victor Martinez are particularly frustrating. That's fantastic that he's a switch hitter, but you know what? he can switch hit all he wants, but he still is not as good of a hitter as Konerko is. Please re-sign Paulie.

I love Paulie and have defending him many times, but realistically, while many of the people who wanted Paulie sent packing the last few years and wanted the Sox to eat a lot of his contract to have that become reality, are now, Paulie must be re-signed people, chances are the pendulum will swing back the other way. Paulie has the thumb issue that can pop up at any time. If he signs for what some "experts" are speculating, you can't blame the Sox for taking a pass.

I love PK, but I think it's time to turn the page. You can't discount his leadership abilities, but I feel it's time for a new group to step up, and a new leader to emerge. Maybe even someone with a little more fire... Besides, I feel Guillen is still the ultimate leader for this team. Don't get me wrong, PK has been extremely valuable, and I appreciate all he's done. I just feel this is the time.

I've made my peace with whatever happens. I have strong concerns about giving Paulie too much money and too many years at this point in his career. Especially coming off a resurgent contract-year. Yet i can't deny that i've always wanted him to retire with the Pale Hose, so i'll just wait it out and see what happens.

QUOTE (hawkubes @ Nov 7, 2010 -> 09:35 AM)
I'm sick of all these threads talking about possible replacements for Konerko. I understand that there's a very good chance he's gone. I know that the Sox are strapped for cash. I also gotta believe that Konerko would like to stick around. The talks about Victor Martinez are particularly frustrating. That's fantastic that he's a switch hitter, but you know what? he can switch hit all he wants, but he still is not as good of a hitter as Konerko is. Please re-sign Paulie.

I am with you on this and also want AJP back

QUOTE (SEALgep @ Nov 7, 2010 -> 02:34 PM)
I love PK, but I think it's time to turn the page. You can't discount his leadership abilities, but I feel it's time for a new group to step up, and a new leader to emerge. Maybe even someone with a little more fire... Besides, I feel Guillen is still the ultimate leader for this team. Don't get me wrong, PK has been extremely valuable, and I appreciate all he's done. I just feel this is the time.

Change just for change sake? Doesn't make any sense to me. A new group to step up? Who? You have to have something in place and ready to step in and we don't have that. Plus what you already have may be (and in this case I think it is) better than anything else you can get

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 7, 2010 -> 08:14 AM)
I wouldn't get your hopes up. We haven't heard anything about talks during this time period, which can't be good.

IIRC his last contract was worked out far from any rumor.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 7, 2010 -> 09:14 AM)
I wouldn't get your hopes up. We haven't heard anything about talks during this time period, which can't be good.

What I will say is that there wasn't much movement on Pk last time until about the week before he actually signed. Both the Sox and Pk were pretty clear that he was going to test the waters, and the Sox would probably come in with a competitive offer at some point.

QUOTE (hawkubes @ Nov 7, 2010 -> 02:35 AM)

This is all nice and good, as long as you realize that if you make the highest bid to retain Konerko, and re-sign AJ, and tender contracts to Quentin and Pena/Garcia, there be will be literally zero money left to improve the team anywhere else at all. So if you're fine with essentially the '10 team coming back for comfort level, that is all you will get.

QUOTE (SEALgep @ Nov 7, 2010 -> 01:34 PM)

Like who, Brandon Allen to play first? Wait, he gawn.

We don't have anybody unless you want to put Dayan there which may be disastrous on D. If he is refusing to play winter ball, that isn't a good sign right there.

I could live with it either way, but Paulie is coming off a monster season and we still didn't really contend for a division title. We got blown away. Losing him in the lineup won't help us catch the Twinks.