Konerko could end up with one of three, according to Padilla

southsider2k5

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/...nerko-finalists

White Sox among Konerko finalists

November, 8, 2010 Nov 812:57PM CTEmail Print Comments By Doug PadillaWith the White Sox’ exclusive negotiating window with Paul Konerko now closed, it’s time to compile a short list of teams where the veteran slugger might land.

Yes, the White Sox are on the list. No, the Yankees are not.

In this completely unscientific gathering of teams, we will incorporate what we know about Konerko, what we think we know about teams around the league and rely on a little geography.

WHAT WE KNOW ABOUT KONERKO is that he wants to play for a winner. When he re-signed with the White Sox after the 2005 season, everybody knows that the Angels offered him $2 million more. Those two finalists made sense for many of the reasons listed below. But the Orioles also had a generous offer on the table that was barely considered. A losing team, especially one on the East Coast, didn’t have much of an appeal that time and it certainly won’t this time.

Teams to eliminate: Orioles, Royals, Nationals, Pirates.

Here’s more of WHAT WE KNOW ABOUT KONERKO. A family man now with two sons (the first born just before the 2005 World Series), Konerko has more people to consider than he did the last time he looked for a deal. This is where GEOGRAPHY comes into play. With a few exceptions, figure Chicago to be as far east as the Arizona resident would like to play the next few years.

Teams to eliminate: Blue Jays, Tigers, Indians, Marlins, Reds

Here is more GEOGRAPHY to consider. There are 15 teams that conduct spring training in the Phoenix area now that the Rockies and Diamondbacks have fled Tucson. Figure Konerko to strongly consider one of those teams. Six weeks goes by a lot quicker in your own home than it does in a rented condo completely across the country.

Teams to eliminate: Twins, Braves, Mets, Cardinals, Astros.

How about getting into WINNERS WITH MONEY TO SPEND? One reason why the Yankees, Red Sox and even the Rays haven’t been eliminated from consideration despite the geography issues they present is that they might be willing to fork out a little cash. Konerko could wind up with between $33 million and $40 million on a three-year deal.

Teams to eliminate: A’s, Brewers, Diamondbacks, Padres.

Now we can get into WHAT KONERKO HAS TO OFFER. This past season with nearly 40 home runs and over 100 RBI shows that Konerko still can deliver. He also has great hands to pick out throws in the dirt, although he has always been as slow as refrigerated molasses so his range on defense might not be as good as others. He will also be 35 on Opening Day and keeping him at his peak through the end of a three- or even four-year deal might require a decent amount of designated hitter days. Suddenly, National League teams are falling by the wayside.

Teams to eliminate: Phillies, Cubs, Rockies, Dodgers, Giants.

Now comes the matter of WHO NEEDS A GUY LIKE KONERKO? This is where some teams go down because they are set at first base, including some big spenders.

Teams to eliminate: Yankees, Red Sox, Mariners, Angels.

So what is left?

Konerko’s options appear to be down to three teams: The White Sox, Rangers and a surprise team to make the cut, the Rays.

And maybe the Giants might be willing to consider Konerko, although Aubrey Huff would return at a much more affordable price. Konerko would probably be up for it. The Giants do have spring training in Scottsdale, where Konerko lives.

And then again, after all of this, perhaps Konerko pulls a fast one and retires. But wouldn’t a couple of more summers on the South Side be more rewarding? Golf can wait.

He says Chicago is as far east as Konerko would go....and than lists Tampa Bay as one of the three options?

He also says Paulie will only sign with a team that has spring training near Phoenix....and than lists Tampa Bay as one of the three options?

Now, I'm no geography wiz....but I believe Florida is east of Chicago. I also believe that Charlotte County, FL is nowhere near Phoenix.

This writer must be on crack and should consider a new line of work.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 02:38 PM)
SPEC-U-LA-TION!!!

Clap clap, clapclapclap...

SPEC-U-LA-TION!!!

Clap clap, clapclapclap...

Which is all we do on this site during the offseason.

I actually like that the author here took a different approach - ignore rumors and try to analyze practicalities. Sure its speculation, but it actually added something to the discussion.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 02:41 PM)
Which is all we do on this site during the offseason.

I actually like that the author here took a different approach - ignore rumors and try to analyze practicalities. Sure its speculation, but it actually added something to the discussion.

Yeah you're right. I agree. Being a baseball fan, speculating about future White Sox moves is better than reading about and listening to people talk about the Bears all day.

I really think Konerko resigns with the Sox. I can't imagine heading into next year depending on Viciedo at 1B, and I'm not going to get my hopes up again for Adrian Gonzalez.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 08:55 PM)
Based on the season he just had, he may command less money than Konerko, and if thats the case, I'd love him on the Sox.

If Konerko leaves, there's a great chance Lee signs with the Sox. He wants to stay in Chicago, and Ozzie loves him from his days in Florida. I like Lee, but he showed some signs of significant decline last season.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 05:19 PM)
If Konerko leaves, there's a great chance Lee signs with the Sox. He wants to stay in Chicago, and Ozzie loves him from his days in Florida. I like Lee, but he showed some signs of significant decline last season.

I would offer something like 2 yr/13 million, with $7 million upfront, $6 million next year.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 03:19 PM)

Maybe he did, and maybe it was just a bad season for him. His OPS has been fairly consistent over the past several years and after he was traded from the Cubs he put up an .850 OPS which is just slightly below his career avg. I like his defense better than Konerko and to be honest, I would prefer him over Kong as his contract. DLEE has actually been a better hitter over the past few years on avg save for this season where Kong was out of his mind.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 05:44 PM)
Lee is done and if you think Konerko is one of the worse defenders apparently you don't watch the same games I do

Lee's bat speed got slower last year, but he could definitely come back and produce. His defense is top 2-3 at 1b, and Konerko has great hands but his range is non-existant, so yes it is a huge upgrade.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 03:44 PM)
Lee is done and if you think Konerko is one of the worse defenders apparently you don't watch the same games I do

I don't like the constant referral to Konerko as a horrible defender. I think we can all agree that he does not have good range, but his ability to pick throws out of the dirt and to turn the tricky 3-6-3 DP make him a decent defender, IMO. I don't know much about Lee, so I won't hazard to guess if he's better. But, if Konerko doesn't re-sign, I think I'd be okay with Lee for $6 or $7 million a year.

I still wonder if the Sox will go after LaRoche.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 03:44 PM)

What makes you think Lee is done exactly? He put up an .850 OPS with the Braves after he was traded. He had a terrible first half and put up a .298 .373 .516 .888 in the second half. I'd like to know how you are basing your evaluation of Lee to state that he is "done".

And he said with regards to range where Konerko is one of the worst in the league at 1B.