Konerko could end up with one of three, according to Padilla

southsider2k5

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 04:51 PM)
What makes you think Lee is done exactly? He put up an .850 OPS with the Braves after he was traded. He had a terrible first half and put up a .298 .373 .516 .888 in the second half. I'd like to know how you are basing your evaluation of Lee to state that he is "done".

And he said with regards to range where Konerko is one of the worst in the league at 1B.

He said "especially with regards to range" meaning he's talking about the whole package here.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 03:53 PM)
He said "especially with regards to range" meaning he's talking about the whole package here.

Lee is still an upgrade there regardless. He's easily as good as if not better than Konerko at scooping and is head and shoulders better range-wise.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 10:05 PM)
Again with the hyperbole. I'd call it more like going from pretty good to very good.

And nearly every defensive metric has Konerko at the bottom. Konerko is great at throwing the baseball from the 1b position. Besides that, he's about average at scooping throws in the dirt (outside of Dunn, we don't really live in an area where guys like Frank Thomas play first base anymore. Pujols and Barton are insanely good at scooping throws). His range is so bad that I think when we finally see a different 1b play for the Sox, we'll be shocked at how low are expectations were for Konkero defensively moving to his right/left. For those that think Konerko saved Alexei from a lot of errors, Aramis Ramirez owes D. Lee a small country for all the lazy throws he saved him from.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 04:05 PM)
Again with the hyperbole. I'd call it more like going from pretty good to very good.

Well, to be honest, Konerko ranked dead last defensively at 1B for the Sox last year at minus 17 runs saved. He was only better than Quentin defensively for the Sox last season. Konerko has been rated as below-avg defensively pretty much consistently over the last several seasons. Outside of 2003 and 2009, he has been squarely ranked in the 20's defensively as a 1B out of roughly 35. We all know he may be better than others realize, but that doesnt make him exactly "good" overall at the position.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 04:51 PM)
What makes you think Lee is done exactly? He put up an .850 OPS with the Braves after he was traded. He had a terrible first half and put up a .298 .373 .516 .888 in the second half. I'd like to know how you are basing your evaluation of Lee to state that he is "done".

And he said with regards to range where Konerko is one of the worst in the league at 1B.

Really? I got the impression Lee particularly struggled in Atlanta. Guess I missed that.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 04:19 PM)
If Konerko leaves, there's a great chance Lee signs with the Sox. He wants to stay in Chicago, and Ozzie loves him from his days in Florida. I like Lee, but he showed some signs of significant decline last season.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 04:30 PM)
Maybe he did, and maybe it was just a bad season for him. His OPS has been fairly consistent over the past several years and after he was traded from the Cubs he put up an .850 OPS which is just slightly below his career avg. I like his defense better than Konerko and to be honest, I would prefer him over Kong as his contract. DLEE has actually been a better hitter over the past few years on avg save for this season where Kong was out of his mind.

Lee was hampered by injury for a good part of the year. He just had surgery to repair his hand today. I see him as a bounce-back candidate who could be had on a 1-year deal to rebuild his value before a final large contract. Our training department would hopefully be able to help him stay off the DL. I think he is a perfect FA target for the White Sox considering our budget.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 02:21 PM)
It was also interesting to me that the one team Pauly has been repeatedly connected to, Arizona, Padilla quickly eliminated.

I still don't see why Paulie would go to Arizona. I get the being out west close to home, but that team is going nowhere right now. Would he be willing to give up winning to be out there?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 04:30 PM)
Well, to be honest, Konerko ranked dead last defensively at 1B for the Sox last year at minus 17 runs saved. He was only better than Quentin defensively for the Sox last season. Konerko has been rated as below-avg defensively pretty much consistently over the last several seasons. Outside of 2003 and 2009, he has been squarely ranked in the 20's defensively as a 1B out of roughly 35. We all know he may be better than others realize, but that doesnt make him exactly "good" overall at the position.

I see you've joined the advanced statistic revolution. I thought this all along about PK but it was Kalapse, shocking enough, that tried to debunk my opinion. Sorry K, you're wrong in this case. PK is a below average defender. I still want him back, though, if the price, and more importantly years, is right.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 05:24 PM)
I see you've joined the advanced statistic revolution. I thought this all along about PK but it was Kalapse, shocking enough, that tried to debunk my opinion. Sorry K, you're wrong in this case. PK is a below average defender. I still want him back, though, if the price, and more importantly years, is right.

Yup, I was hysterically debunked on this topic about a week ago.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 08:41 PM)
Which is all we do on this site during the offseason.

I actually like that the author here took a different approach - ignore rumors and try to analyze practicalities. Sure its speculation, but it actually added something to the discussion.

I liked it, too. It was well done I thought. It obviously was an opinion piece so it was entertaining for an offseason story.

I am also a little surprised he dismissed Arizona so quickly.

I do think the family situation for a good guy like Paulie eliminates Yankees and Red Sox. He'd be a moron to want to go that far east, being an Arizona boy.

I think he'll go to Zona or stay here, but hell, his wife might tell him to take the most money. That's possible too. For 3 years she may tell him she can live anywhere.

s***, he and AJ both may go to Texas if they have the cash.

Edited by greg775