White Sox Off-Season Catch All Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2010 -> 01:26 PM)
If they got the right package I'm sure they would. I don't know who could offer it to them though. Maybe Cleveland, if they were open on Santana.

Whoa! Just caught this. Santana? That would be like the Giants being open to trading Posey. Santana is a monster and isn't going anywhere.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 03:44 PM)
Whoa! Just caught this. Santana? That would be like the Giants being open to trading Posey. Santana is a monster and isn't going anywhere.

Isn't that what the Royals should basically want if they're trading Greinke?

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 02:59 PM)
I don't think they'd be silly enough to ask for Santana. But why would the Indians want to trade for Greinke anyways. It's not like they're a frontline starter away from contention.

I don't think asking for Santana when you're talking about dealing Greinke is silly.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 02:47 PM)
Isn't that what the Royals should basically want if they're trading Greinke?

Should they want it, sure? But there's wanting something and then there's reality. I know Dodgers fans that are still disgusted with that trade. I see it going down as one of those "Ten worst trades of the decade" type moves.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 03:00 PM)
I don't think asking for Santana when you're talking about dealing Greinke is silly.

His minor league resume is sick and he was on his way to an easy ROY award until he got hurt. Oh yeah, he's a catcher. He'll never hit for the average, but I'm pretty confident when I say he'll be a much more productive offensive player than Joe Mauer.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 03:05 PM)
His minor league resume is sick and he was on his way to an easy ROY award until he got hurt. Oh yeah, he's a catcher. He'll never hit for the average, but I'm pretty confident when I say he'll be a much more productive offensive player than Joe Mauer.

That's a lofty goal. I'd love to take you up on that bet.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 03:01 PM)
Should they want it, sure? But there's wanting something and then there's reality. I know Dodgers fans that are still disgusted with that trade. I see it going down as one of those "Ten worst trades of the decade" type moves.

Who would have thought that trading away Casey f***ing Blake would get you a way better prospect than trading CC Sabathia, both in the same month.

Let me put it another way...I think most of those same descriptors could be applied to Justin Smoak, right? 23 year old, switch hitter, put up a .930 OPS as a 22 year old in AA, top level prospect. Yeah, I'm sure you can give me reasons why Santana is more valuable...he's a catcher, etc, but realize this...

Justin Smoak was traded for 2 months of Cliff Lee. You get 2 years of Greinke if you trade for him now. Why should the Royals accept anything less than a player at that level?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 01:05 PM)

Umm, you are completely off the rocker. You want to make a bet here? This has to be one of the most ridiculous statements I've EVER seen.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 03:17 PM)
Umm, you are completely off the rocker. You want to make a bet here? This has to be one of the most ridiculous statements I've EVER seen.

I donno, Carlos Santana is a STUD in the making. Hopefully that injury won't have any negative effects. Not sure if I make that bet but it's def not ridiculous.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 01:21 PM)
I donno, Carlos Santana is a STUD in the making. Hopefully that injury won't have any negative effects. Not sure if I make that bet but it's def not ridiculous.

Santana might be a stud in the making but Joe Mauer is one of the greatest offensive catchers to ever play the game right now. Do you people realize how unlikely it is that some top prospect is going to than become the greatest major league player at there respected position of all time? Cause right now, Joe Mauer is on pace to be the best all around catcher ever.

Santana has like 50 major league games under his belt. His minor league numbers also involved a very respectable .900 career OPS.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 03:05 PM)

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 03:06 PM)
That's a lofty goal. I'd love to take you up on that bet.

Whoa whoa whoa. You may be King Sh*t round these here parts, but I called that bet first! :lolhitting

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 04:29 PM)
For the White Sox sake, I hope Santana never fully heals and we don't have two of the best catchers in the league playing vs. us all season.

I'm gonna have to disagree, for baseball's sake. Just like when I wasn't mad when the Twins signed Mauer, I'll allow myself to be disappointed if a kid implodes for whatever reason, even on a rival, because if a guy is truly an incredible, one in a generation talent at a position...I want to see him play.

Santana will probably give you just as many doubles/OBP and MUCH more HR pop (save Mauer's fluke 2009 HR total). Maybe much more weren't the right words to use. But he has the potential to be better.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 03:42 PM)
Santana will probably give you just as many doubles/OBP and MUCH more HR pop (save Mauer's fluke 2009 HR total). Maybe much more weren't the right words to use. But he has the potential to be better.

This is also not including his defensive ability, where Mauer is regarded to be a pretty good defensive catcher. I've seen the word adequate used to describe Santana. I'm sure he will improve and isn't just another Victor Martinez in the making, but he has a lot to do to even match Mauer.

Assuming Santana fills out to his potential, I think a good analogy is something like Mauer to Pujols as Santana to Cabrera. Cabrera may be as good offensively as Pujols (or pretty damn close), but that difference in defense is absolutely huge.

Link. Ozzie's PR person speaks.

Hey, everyone! Sorry for not posting in a little bit, but I have been all over the place. But now it's time to talk to you guys and let you know what I have been up to. Last week, I was at the Winter Meetings for a day. I am glad we made the moves that we made, even though I was probably just as surprised as you guys when I heard them. People in Chicago should feel very proud and lucky they have an owner like Jerry Reinsdorf, and also proud of the people in the front office for making such aggressive moves. I'm very happy we have my captain, PK (Paul Konerko), back, and I'm happy he will hopefully finish his career with the White Sox. As far as Adam Dunn goes -- wow ... he's a big boy and seems like a very fun guy who stays loose and ready to play. I like that.

Right now, I am in Venezuela and will be here for a few weeks. Other than doing some relaxing, I am doing some work through the Ozzie Guillen Foundation, helping out kids with cancer and other problems they face here in my home country. I will post some pictures soon on here as well as on my Facebook page so you guys can get a feel for what exactly we are doing.

I was reading through some of your questions and one came up about "Ozzie Ball" and what it is exactly. I think most times, people don't know what it means, so let me explain: "Ozzie Ball" means playing the game the right way; it has nothing to do with bunting, stealing bases or the lack of home runs. It's about playing hard-nosed baseball the way I liked to play it, or better yet the way Paul Molitor, Lenny Dykstra, Rickey Henderson and George Brett played the game. I want 25 guys playing the game that way every single day.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 03:45 PM)
This is also not including his defensive ability, where Mauer is regarded to be a pretty good defensive catcher. I've seen the word adequate used to describe Santana. I'm sure he will improve and isn't just another Victor Martinez in the making, but he has a lot to do to even match Mauer.

Assuming Santana fills out to his potential, I think a good analogy is something like Mauer to Pujols as Santana to Cabrera. Cabrera may be as good offensively as Pujols (or pretty damn close), but that difference in defense is absolutely huge.

I agree completely. Which is why I said in my original post regarding this topic that I thought he could be a better offensive player. Not overall. I haven't seen enough of Santana defensively to come to my own conclusion. But I saw him hit. This kid is for real. The Dodger FO should be ashamed of themselves.

Edited by Jordan4life