• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 02:37 PM)
I smell 93 wins...

whzk2v.jpg

343hxco.jpg

These are park adjusted and the PAs and innings all add up correctly.

93 offensively/defensively, 94 pitching.

In recent years in the ALC, 93/94 wins you the division. Do people think the 2011 Twins or Tigers are 93/94 win teams on paper?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 02:46 PM)

In recent years in the ALC, 93/94 wins you the division. Do people think the 2011 Twins or Tigers are 93/94 win teams on paper?

Don't know, but I would doubt it. This is all talent-based and I'd say the Sox are more talented than both of those teams.

wRC has the Sox at 777 runs scored. This is the year!

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 02:46 PM)

The Tigers will be lucky to be an 83 team as made up now. Probably more like 78 or 79.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 02:48 PM)
The Tigers will be lucky to be an 83 team as made up now. Probably more like 78 or 79.

I think their season pretty much rests on whether or not Porcello can become a good third option and if they can find a decent 5th starter.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 03:50 PM)
I think their season pretty much rests on whether or not Porcello can become a good third option and if they can find a decent 5th starter.

2 of the 3 guys they were counting on to anchor their rotation for a decade were sent down to the minors last year. I'm not worried about the Tiggers. Especially since we normally do well against them head to head.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 04:00 PM)
2 of the 3 guys they were counting on to anchor their rotation for a decade were sent down to the minors last year. I'm not worried about the Tiggers. Especially since we normally do well against them head to head.

What have the Tigers actually done this offseason to get better? Benoit signing, they kept Ordonez, anything else? They probably get Zumaya back next year I'd imagine.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 03:15 PM)
What have the Tigers actually done this offseason to get better? Benoit signing, they kept Ordonez, anything else? They probably get Zumaya back next year I'd imagine.

Victor Martinez.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 03:15 PM)

If Scherzer puts it together for a whole season like he did when he came back from the minors last year that could be an extra 3-4 wins right there.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 04:31 PM)
If Scherzer puts it together for a whole season like he did when he came back from the minors last year that could be an extra 3-4 wins right there.

Thats a scary thought for the rest of the division

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 05:23 PM)
Thats a scary thought for the rest of the division

11-7, 2.46 ERA, 158 Ks in 153 2/3 innings from May 30 through the end of the season. Even more impressive was that he allowed only 120 hits in those same amount of innings. Man the D-backs front-office has really dropped the ball the last 3-4 years. That team had dynasty imprinted all over it.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 06:45 PM)
11-7, 2.46 ERA, 158 Ks in 153 2/3 innings from May 30 through the end of the season. Even more impressive was that he allowed only 120 hits in those same amount of innings. Man the D-backs front-office has really dropped the ball the last 3-4 years. That team had dynasty imprinted all over it.

Who else have they traded/let go who has gotten better after leaving? I've got 1 name, Carlos Quentin, and he only had 1 really good season. Who else am I missing? And the Haren trade really doesn't count, because Haren was actually good in Arizona.

That team had dynasty imprinted all over it, but year after year, the young guys they'd count on to start that dynasty would struggle. Either Upton would have a great year and Young would struggle, or Reynolds would have a great year and Upton would struggle, or Reynolds would have a good year and Webb would blow apart his arm, and Stephen Drew really has never lived up to hype.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 05:59 PM)
Who else have they traded/let go who has gotten better after leaving? I've got 1 name, Carlos Quentin, and he only had 1 really good season. Who else am I missing? And the Haren trade really doesn't count, because Haren was actually good in Arizona.

That team had dynasty imprinted all over it, but year after year, the young guys they'd count on to start that dynasty would struggle. Either Upton would have a great year and Young would struggle, or Reynolds would have a great year and Upton would struggle, or Reynolds would have a good year and Webb would blow apart his arm, and Stephen Drew really has never lived up to hype.

Hmm, I guess my memory is shaky. The Valverde trade was definitely a horrible one. Along Orlando Hudson. And their two most recent ones, Scherzer and Haren, sucked. But, yeah, most of their highly touted guys from back then have either busted or have yet to break out. And it doesn't help that Brandon Webb got hurt.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 06:45 PM)

Hey, they have Dan Hudson though!

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 07:31 AM)
I heard that Eric Chavez is working out for two AL clubs, not sure how it works for the Sox, but he has been a long favorite of KW.

I'd kick the tires on him, and give him an invite to spring training. You've got nothing to lose.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 10:15 AM)
I'd kick the tires on him, and give him an invite to spring training. You've got nothing to lose.

29 other teams can say the same thing though, and the Sox have at least 1 guy in AAA who they want filling the 1b/3b role, and another nearly-washed-up AL West castoff there as well.