White Sox Off-Season Catch All Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 01:28 PM)
Can we just stick Dayan in RF already?

His ceiling is too high to just trade, his age allows us to develop him at RF, and his bat belongs on the MLB roster.

If Gonzalez is writing it, I'll bet there's a good chance someone upstairs has said something along those lines.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 10:15 AM)
Sucks if true. I wonder if we've even made an attempt to bring him back. Mark Teahen and I guess De Aza as our current backup outfielders makes my stomach hurt a little.

DeAza will be a quality 4th OF. He's what Wise was supposed to be. A speed stick that makes contact from the left side, runs the bases well and plays a solid OF.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 12:32 PM)
If Gonzalez is writing it, I'll bet there's a good chance someone upstairs has said something along those lines.

If Viciedo steps foot in the OF, it should be in LF only and he should get months of reps in AAA out there, IMO.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 03:58 PM)
If Viciedo steps foot in the OF, it should be in LF only and he should get months of reps in AAA out there, IMO.

Why not RF? That place actually sorta fits him since he has the arm to handle it.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 10:30 PM)
Still quiet on the arbitration front especially for Danks.................Gonzalez predicts it will be completed by SoxFest, I sure hope so.

Are you Mark Gonzalez trying to gin up publicity for your own columns? How else would you ask this question only hours after your article on Danks and arbitration goes to press?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 18, 2011 -> 08:24 AM)
Are you Mark Gonzalez trying to gin up publicity for your own columns? How else would you ask this question only hours after your article on Danks and arbitration goes to press?

LOL

The fact that its taking a while, combined with the impending free agency of EJax and MB56, makes me think the Sox are trying for a longer term deal with Danks.

WTF are the Tigers doing up there?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/01/tige..._medium=twitter

One day after agreeing to terms with him on a $2.3MM contract for 2011, the Tigers have designated Armando Galarraga for assignment. The team announced the move on Twitter, while making its deal with Brad Penny official.

Galarraga's contract is non-guaranteed, though the Tigers would owe him termination pay if they were to release him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 18, 2011 -> 02:00 PM)
Apparently the Royals payroll is going to be around Alex Rodriquez's if nothing else changes.

I'm sure they'll sign a vet or two before the season starts. Then they've got arb-eligible players like Billy Butler that have to get deals done. But that's exactly how they should play it. They're waiting for their kids. No sense in handing out multi-year deals and wasting coin on second and third-tier guys that will have no impact whatsoever on their wins/losses.

Edited by Jordan4life

A couple funny little clauses I found for Sox players in Jayson Stark's article today.

Will Ohman and Jesse Crain both have clauses stating they will get between $10,000-$25,000 bonuses if they start the All-Star game. lol. Not GET SELECTED to the team, but START the game. Pretty unlikely, but maybe even more unlikely....

Adam Dunn gets an extra $25K if he wins the gold glove. lol. Gold glove for DH I guess.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 18, 2011 -> 05:37 PM)
A couple funny little clauses I found for Sox players in Jayson Stark's article today.

Will Ohman and Jesse Crain both have clauses stating they will get between $10,000-$25,000 bonuses if they start the All-Star game. lol. Not GET SELECTED to the team, but START the game. Pretty unlikely, but maybe even more unlikely....

Adam Dunn gets an extra $25K if he wins the gold glove. lol. Gold glove for DH I guess.

What is the point of those clauses?

QUOTE (TomPickle @ Jan 18, 2011 -> 06:49 PM)
They did it for the lulz obviously.

Yeah, I think they just did it for s***s and giggles, either as a joke mocking their own in-abilities, or just as a ridiculous goal.

In that article, it's also mentioned that Wang has a clause for a bonus if he wins the Silver Slugger award. He is 0-14 with 8 Ks and a GIDP. So he has recorded 15 outs in 14 AB.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 18, 2011 -> 08:57 PM)
Chicago White Sox claim Philip Humber off waivers from Oakland Athletics. http://mlb.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=458950

Humber was once a top prospect for the Mets. He did have TJ surgery and was brutal for them and for the Twins, but actually showed some signs last year.

He should compete for a spot in the pen. Good low risk move as Humber is still young enough and recovered enough to where he could take advantage of what may be one of his best last chances.

Will be interesting to see. Dude used to have a great curveball.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jan 18, 2011 -> 11:12 PM)
Dayan has enough trouble tracking flyballs in the infield, he will not be a possibility in the outfield. I don't understand why people see that as an option. 3B, 1B or DH, that's it.

Because it is a skill that can be learned. He may have trouble tracking flyballs down now, but if you work with him on doing so, he will improve. The best case scenario is that he improves enough that he can become a passable outfielder and the worst case is obviously that he does not, but there is very little harm in trying.