White Sox Off-Season Catch All Thread

Chisoxfn

This Morel thing is just to light the fire under him during spring training. He can't tell Morel that he has the job even though he does. As long as he isn't pitiful with the bat in March, Morel will be there on opening day.

Pierzynski batting 6th? I suppose the lineup can be fluid 6-9, but I hope Quentin earns his way back up to 6th, and AJ can go to 8, especially if Morel is batting 9th.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 05:42 PM)
This Morel thing is just to light the fire under him during spring training. He can't tell Morel that he has the job even though he does. As long as he isn't pitiful with the bat in March, Morel will be there on opening day.

Pierzynski batting 6th? I suppose the lineup can be fluid 6-9, but I hope Quentin earns his way back up to 6th, and AJ can go to 8, especially if Morel is batting 9th.

is he doing it to break up the RHs? I'm not sure I'm that big of a fan of that depending on how it shakes out

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 05:46 PM)
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2011/...-white-sox.html

Any thoughts on what the "other move" might be?

purely a guess, but trying to bring in a more established 5th starter, even if it's a mediocre innings eater type, that way they can wait on Peavy and have Sale getting some seasoning in the minors in case he's needed during the year, again just a guess. Could also be a power guy off the bench

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 05:54 PM)
Kenny said: there is always one more move to make, which ,he added, shall be written on his grave stone.

Howerver what the article doesn't say, Kenny said he likes what he has and any other move will have to come from the 'minors depth'

Good follow up on the article, my initial thought was that if he wanted to bring Andruw back another outfielder, but I'm ok with DeAza.

Sorry, I know Teahen is a nice guy, but I couldn't help myself....

ESPY_TEAHEN By the way Chicago #WhiteSox fans, I'm All In! Are you?!?!? #Allin #Ifyourenotallinyourenotinatall

Me:

@ESPY_TEAHEN Funny that our biggest contractual gamble would advocate a poker term such as "all in". Seriously though, good luck next year.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 10:55 PM)
stumbled upon this while lookin for some zza

http://www.giordanos.com/

Hahaha, "Get stuffed with Beckham?" That may be one of the worst slogans ever. Except for when McDonalds ran those Bill Wennington ads in the 90s with the slogan "Get f**ked by Wennington."

....or remember "Get destroyed from the inside out by Chelios?"

....too far?

QUOTE (typewritermender @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 11:17 PM)
Hahaha, "Get stuffed with Beckham?" That may be one of the worst slogans ever. Except for when McDonalds ran those Bill Wennington ads in the 90s with the slogan "Get f**ked by Wennington."

....or remember "Get destroyed from the inside out by Chelios?"

....too far?

No, I generally like the subtlety of those.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 11:04 PM)
Sorry, I know Teahen is a nice guy, but I couldn't help myself....

ESPY_TEAHEN By the way Chicago #WhiteSox fans, I'm All In! Are you?!?!? #Allin #Ifyourenotallinyourenotinatall

Me:

@ESPY_TEAHEN Funny that our biggest contractual gamble would advocate a poker term such as "all in". Seriously though, good luck next year.

Way to be an ass.

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen had the classic story of the day on Saturday when a fan at SoxFest inquired about left-hander Chris Sale.

Guillen said the team was facing Cleveland last season when Indians outfielder Shin-Soo Choo approached him and asked, “Why do you always have to bring in Matt Thornton when I come to the plate in the late innings?”

Choo has struck out 10 times in 19 at-bats against Thornton, but to be fair, he does have six hits, good for a .316 batting average against the lefty.

That night, Guillen said he decided to bring in Chris Sale to face Choo. Both times Sale faced Choo last season he struck him out.

Afterward, Guillen somehow managed to run into Choo again.

According to Guillen, a further demoralized Choo said, “Why didn’t you bring in Thornton?”

Asked general manager Kenny Williams when the story was done: “Was this conversation in Spanish, English or Korean?”

lol

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 09:07 AM)
According to Scott Gregor, Daily Herald White Sox beat writer, his inside sources say Chris Sale is a lock to be the White Sox closer in 2011.

I like it. Just don't dick him around. We've seen guys like Andrew Bailey and Neftali Feliz handle the roll quite well their initial years. Sale's frame and delivery will always scare me. But whatever. He's got the stuff. I'd much rather leave Thorton in the role he's flourished in for the last five years.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 09:12 AM)
I like it. Just don't dick him around. We've seen guys like Andrew Bailey and Neftali Feliz handle the roll quite well their initial years. Sale's frame and delivery will always scare me. But whatever. He's got the stuff. I'd much rather leave Thorton in the role he's flourished in for the last five years.

Also agree, need to have a defined role for rookies and the thought of potential starter, mid reliever, and closer only messes with his head.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 09:07 AM)
According to Scott Gregor, Daily Herald White Sox beat writer, his inside sources say Chris Sale is a lock to be the White Sox closer in 2011.

Eh, its not my first choice, but if we have to have him out there, we might as well use him.

I wouldn't mind Sale as closer, but as others stated above, I think it's best with him to define a role and let him roll with it all year.

However, if this is true I'm still confused on what they're doing with the 5th starter spot until Peavy comes back. It wouldn't make sense to go "all in" and then just hope Peavy is ready for the 5th starter.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 11:39 PM)
I wouldn't mind Sale as closer, but as others stated above, I think it's best with him to define a role and let him roll with it all year.

However, if this is true I'm still confused on what they're doing with the 5th starter spot until Peavy comes back. It wouldn't make sense to go "all in" and then just hope Peavy is ready for the 5th starter.

what do we have?? Pena and Harrell??? maybe Peavy is gonna be ready to go??