White Sox Off-Season Catch All Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 11:42 AM)
There's 9 rotations that are better...?

I count Red Sox, Phillies, Giants, Cardinals, Rays, maybe Oakland, maybe Milwaukee, and I have a hard time thinking of anybody else.

He ranks the Tigers (lol), Braves and Dodgers over the White Sox.

Edited by Jordan4life

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most pitchers vary significantly from year to year, so this stuff is all very low on the scale of prediction accuracy. The thing that's good for the Sox is that, even without Peavy, they have a solid 4 that puts them in the upper half. With him, they have the potential to be elite. That's really all you can do going into the season.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 11:48 AM)
He ranks the Tigers (lol), Braves and Dodgers over the White Sox.

I'll give him the Braves, but the Dodgers and Tigers...ok lol.

Olney also said Yuniesky Betancourt had a good season last year. Maybe good for his standard...but not in comparison to anybody else.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 12:39 PM)
I'll give him the Braves, but the Dodgers and Tigers...ok lol.

Olney also said Yuniesky Betancourt had a good season last year. Maybe good for his standard...but not in comparison to anybody else.

I'd rank the Angels without hesitation over the Tigers and Dodgers (though Clayton Kershaw is my Carlos Gonzalez for pitchers). Far as Yuniesky, I'm sure he's going strictly by the 78 RBIs. Which is kinda sad in this day and age.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 12:50 PM)
I'd rank the Angels without hesitation over the Tigers and Dodgers (though Clayton Kershaw is my Carlos Gonzalez for pitchers). Far as Yuniesky, I'm sure he's going strictly by the 78 RBIs. Which is kinda sad in this day and age.

Yeah, I'd say Haren and Weaver are better than anything those other teams can possibly offer.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 07:33 PM)
I don't think I'll ever get the Gardner love and why some people are so set on trading Floyd for him.

I am a fan of his awesome speed, awesome defense, awesome base-stealing ability, and awesome on-base skills. Pretty good reasons to want a 27-year-old CF if you ask me.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 07:38 PM)
I am a fan of his awesome speed, awesome defense, awesome base-stealing ability, and awesome on-base skills. Pretty good reasons to want a 27-year-old CF if you ask me.

Speed isn't as important as starting pitching. Not saying other things wouldn't go into such a deal, that's just not enough for me.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 08:35 PM)
Speed isn't as important as starting pitching. Not saying other things wouldn't go into such a deal, that's just not enough for me.

Got that right. I like Gardner. He was a 5.4 WAR player last year. But most of that came with a ridiculous 21.9 UZR. I've seen enough of him (due to the Yankees being on Fox and ESPN every week) to know that he's not THAT good. He's basically Juan Pierre with a better arm (not saying much) in the field. The appeal would be that he's dirt cheap and has at least 4 years until he's eligible for FA. But that's still not enough to entice me to give up a proven, albeit frustrating at times, #3 SP locked up through 2012 at a very affordable $12 million.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 07:38 PM)

I understand his skill set. I'm just not a fan of trading a very solid proven SP who is cheap, for a player that has had one very solid season for the Yankees with so much talent around him.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 10:00 PM)
I understand his skill set. I'm just not a fan of trading a very solid proven SP who is cheap, for a player that has had one very solid season for the Yankees with so much talent around him.

I wouldn't trade Gavin or Danks straight up for Gardner either. But I would love to make a package around Gardner.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 10:16 PM)
I wouldn't trade Gavin or Danks straight up for Gardner either. But I would love to make a package around Gardner.

Besides, it makes no sense for the Sox to take Gardner if they can't dump Pierre onto the Yankeesz.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 10:25 PM)
Defensively yes, offensively? Clearly no.

An outfield with Quentin in it may be slightly better offensively than one with Gardner in it, but the defensive difference is earth shattering. You are talking about swapping out one of the worst defensive OF in baseball for one of the best defensive OF in baseball. Those are opposite ends of the spectrum. We are talking a -33 UZR/150 vs. a +28 UZR/150. A difference of 61 UZR/150. There is NO bigger gap between two starters at any position than Quentin and Gardner in terms of UZR/150, and I am not even sure if there has been a larger one in the history of UZR/150.