White Sox Off-Season Catch All Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Dec 30, 2010 -> 09:11 PM)
Do they focus only on defense? Because if they don't, Pierre might be there in a player coach (bunting, baserunning, etc.)

I think it is like a football OTA. I think this is where Walker saw Rios take three swings and deemed him fixed.

I like that so many guys are going.

Ran through the CAIRO 0.3 projections today.

White Sox position players: 23.2

White Sox pitchers: 18.9

Total: 42.1 (90.1 wins)

Highest position player: Adam Dunn (4.4)

Highest pitcher: John Danks (3.7)

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 4, 2011 -> 04:08 PM)
Ran through the CAIRO 0.3 projections today.

White Sox position players: 23.2

White Sox pitchers: 18.9

Total: 42.1 (90.1 wins)

Highest position player: Adam Dunn (4.4)

Highest pitcher: John Danks (3.7)

Ok, now take out Infante/Carter or whoever you have as the worst bullpen arm, and replace him with Soriano. What does that give us? 92 wins? Maybe 93?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 4, 2011 -> 05:31 PM)
Ok, now take out Infante/Carter or whoever you have as the worst bullpen arm, and replace him with Soriano. What does that give us? 92 wins? Maybe 93?

I didn't even include either of them. CAIRO blows for projecting unknowns. Hell, I'd say it sucked at projecting even guys like Beckham. Soriano's probably a 1.5 win reliever. So it'd be 92 wins I think.

Did some more in-depth work. Combined CAIRO, Bill James, and Fan projections from FanGraphs together with my own defensive numbers (the ones CAIRO had didn't make much sense).

p9dhl.png

PA number makes sense, playing time is divided out right, so if these are the 15 guys who are going to be coming in and out for the team this year, these projections should be somewhat accurate. These are not park adjusted though.

Edited by chw42

My wife is going to Disney next week with some of her friends, so last night I made her a pitch: "Since you get to go to Disney World... might I be able to go tothe home opener?" She didnt say yes, but she was pretty close. I think I'll be going to my first home opener ever! :)

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 4, 2011 -> 09:37 PM)
Paul Konerko has a real shot to join the 400 club this season. Adam Dunn has an outside chance. That would put them 47th all time. I don't know why that surprises me as much as it does, especially in Konerko's case.

The crazy thing is Paulie has an outside chance at passing Frank Thomas for the Sox all time number if he can average 30 homers over the three years of his deal, plus one extra homer.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 08:41 AM)
The crazy thing is Paulie has an outside chance at passing Frank Thomas for the Sox all time number if he can average 30 homers over the three years of his deal, plus one extra homer.

i think that's reasonable to happen. I remember when Hawk said when Konerko still young that he would hit 50 homers. The closest he ever go was 41.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 08:41 AM)

Yet he'd still be about 30 percent of the player Frank was in his heyday.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 08:38 AM)
My wife is going to Disney next week with some of her friends, so last night I made her a pitch: "Since you get to go to Disney World... might I be able to go to opening day?" She didnt say yes, but she was pretty close. I think I'll be going to my first opening day ever! :)

It's official, I got the thumbs up to go!

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 09:37 AM)
Yet he'd still be about 30 percent of the player Frank was in his heyday.

Not to take anything away from either one because I like them both but Frank was never really a "homerun" guy. He was more of a AVG and OBP guy for the most part. Konerko has only had a BA over .300 3 times in his career. Frank's career BA is .301.

FWIW...

Paulie has averaged about 32.5 homeruns per season in a Sox uni.

Frank averaged 29.8.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 11:48 AM)
She goes to Florida in the winter and you were hoping to get permission to go to Cleveland in early April........

Opening day at the Cell, not Cleveland. Sorry, should have made that more clear. (Not that the "trade" is even either way)

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 5, 2011 -> 09:38 AM)
My wife is going to Disney next week with some of her friends, so last night I made her a pitch: "Since you get to go to Disney World... might I be able to go to opening day?" She didnt say yes, but she was pretty close. I think I'll be going to my first opening day ever! :)

Kinda sucks that you even had to get permission.