White Sox Off-Season Catch All Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Jan 12, 2011 -> 03:31 PM)
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."

- Jim Caple from his latest article updating the team misery indexes. Put this quote in my sig.

That's seriously awesome!

Unfortunately, Jim Caple also wrote some article about how runs scored are one the most important individual stats in baseball in order to prove Derek Jeter wasn't bad last season.

So there goes some of his credibility.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove09/...%26id%3d4848879

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 12, 2011 -> 05:36 PM)
Legendary White Sox outfielder Dewayne Wise has signed with the Marlins.

That's not a bad fit for him down there actually as a bench guy. Left handed, some pop off the bench, can pinch run, defensive replacement in a large outfield. With only two OF spots set (LF/RF) I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him as their 4th/5th OF.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 12, 2011 -> 05:05 PM)
Unfortunately, Jim Caple also wrote some article about how runs scored are one the most important individual stats in baseball in order to prove Derek Jeter wasn't bad last season.

So there goes some of his credibility.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove09/...%26id%3d4848879

I have a feeling this is just the beginning of some massive ESPN Jeter protecting. That situation is going to get uglier, the NYY didn't get a windfall this offseason and Jeter being run out at SS everyday is going to really be more of an obvious liability.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jan 13, 2011 -> 11:09 AM)
I have a feeling this is just the beginning of some massive ESPN Jeter protecting. That situation is going to get uglier, the NYY didn't get a windfall this offseason and Jeter being run out at SS everyday is going to really be more of an obvious liability.

I can already see Kruk saying something stupid about how the Yankees had a great offseason because they didn't make any real changes.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 13, 2011 -> 12:40 PM)
I can already see Kruk saying something stupid about how the Yankees had a great offseason because they didn't make any real changes.

The Yankees probably had the worst off-season of all the big market teams. They overspent for a league average shortstop, overpaid a lot for their closer (even though I would say most of it is deserved), and their only real addition is Pedro Feliciano.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 13, 2011 -> 12:53 PM)
The Yankees probably had the worst off-season of all the big market teams. They overspent for a league average shortstop, overpaid a lot for their closer (even though I would say most of it is deserved), and their only real addition is Pedro Feliciano.

Not to mention, they lost on every single FA they went after of any significance.

I have to think that, with regard to that Soriano signing, the Yankees had no problem with the price but wanted more than 1 year of him. Boras isn't going to go 2, but the Yankees were willing to go 3. I don't see how it is possible for Soriano to opt out after this season, but could certainly see it after next season, and if he doesn't opt at that point, then the Yankees get their full 3 years of him.

In their minds, getting 2-3 years of Soriano is worth losing the draft pick.

Wow, there is a ton of stuff in Gonzalez's mailbag today.

I've followed Gordon Beckham the last couple of years and think he has a ton of potential. I was trying to find an update on whether he is still feeling any effects from his wrist injury and whether there is any concern there. Can you shed any light on Beckham's status? -- Eric; New York, NY

Gordon said his hand feels fine after finally breaking some scar tissue. This is an important development.

But just as essential to Gordon's production is keeping his right shoulder strong. He played most of last spring with a sore shoulder, and he vowed to throw more in the off-season to prevent the fatigue and soreness that he suffered and caused many to wonder.

What's your take on Dayan Viciedo's future with the organization in light of the Adam Dunn/Paul Konerko signings? No real opportunity for Dayan to get significant playing time at 1B or designated hitter now or in the foreseeable future. He doesn't really impress as a third baseman, where I think Morel will claim the job. Is there a chance Viciedo can play a passable outfielder, or is he now just trade bait? Given his age, wouldn't it be awfully risky (even for Kenny Williams) to trade him if he really has the ability to become a 25+ HR guy? -- Michael; Cape Elizabeth, Maine

I think it would be a terrific idea to move him to the outfield. After he signed a four-year, $10 million contract before the 2009 season, there was talk that he could be used in right field (made sense after the Sox flirted with trading Jermaine Dye to Cincinnati for Homer Bailey -- although Viciedo had more experience at third base).

Viciedo has a strong arm and moves well for his size. The Sox don't have much young outfield depth. Stefan Gartrell led the minor league system with 27 home runs last year at Triple-A Charlotte, but he turned 27 last Friday and his name isn't raised by opposing scouts.

Viciedo is only 21. I know there are legitimate questions about his plate discipline (two walks in 104 at-bats), but developing or finding power at a young age is very difficult to possess. Dayan has worked hard since his first spring training and has kept his weight at a playable level. He should get a chance to finally turn the corner soon.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 11:15 AM)
Sucks if true. I wonder if we've even made an attempt to bring him back. Mark Teahen and I guess De Aza as our current backup outfielders makes my stomach hurt a little.

If De Aza is healthy, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he makes you quite happy next year.