White Sox Off-Season Catch All Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 30, 2011 -> 09:45 PM)
I would have been fine with either AJ or Miguel. I kind of actually wish we had signed Miguel, now that I think about it.

You could well be right, given that AJ is older, but I will note; career OPS is .710 for Miguel, .747 for AJ. With AJ also having the added benefit of batting on the left side of the plate, and virtually no difference in salary...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 30, 2011 -> 09:50 PM)
You could well be right, given that AJ is older, but I will note; career OPS is .710 for Miguel, .747 for AJ. With AJ also having the added benefit of batting on the left side of the plate, and virtually no difference in salary...

Yeah, AJ is probably a better signal caller too. I have always liked Miguel's power though.

I don't put any stock whatsoever into CERA, but here's Olivo vs his team's totals

2006 - Olivo 4.45, Marlins 4.37

2007 - Olivo 5.04, Marlins 4.94

2008 - Olivo 4.42, Royals 4.48

2009 - Olivo 4.49, Royals 4.83

2010 - Olivo 3.89, Rockies 4.14

Like I said, if you put anything into that, he's improved over the years, but there are about a million other factors that can be involved with that. For instance, if Olivo caught Greinke or Jimenez more often than the other starters in 09 and 10, that is going to drastically decrease his CERA. In 07 and 08, he could have been involved in double switches more often and the other catcher(s) could have been catching the relievers, who typically put up better ERAs than starters do, or he simply could have been catching the worse pitchers more often.

Basically, this was an insight into a rather pointless statistic and I think considering that the pitching staff is comfortable pitching to AJ, he's still a solid hitter, and he does hit from the left side, bringing AJ back was the proper move.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 01:39 AM)
I don't put any stock whatsoever into CERA, but here's Olivo vs his team's totals

2006 - Olivo 4.45, Marlins 4.37

2007 - Olivo 5.04, Marlins 4.94

2008 - Olivo 4.42, Royals 4.48

2009 - Olivo 4.49, Royals 4.83

2010 - Olivo 3.89, Rockies 4.14

Like I said, if you put anything into that, he's improved over the years, but there are about a million other factors that can be involved with that. For instance, if Olivo caught Greinke or Jimenez more often than the other starters in 09 and 10, that is going to drastically decrease his CERA. In 07 and 08, he could have been involved in double switches more often and the other catcher(s) could have been catching the relievers, who typically put up better ERAs than starters do, or he simply could have been catching the worse pitchers more often.

Basically, this was an insight into a rather pointless statistic and I think considering that the pitching staff is comfortable pitching to AJ, he's still a solid hitter, and he does hit from the left side, bringing AJ back was the proper move.

Not to mention that the level of disparity depends on the quality of the backup catcher, too.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 11:33 PM)
so now whats really left out there starting pitching wise that would be an upgrade over Harrell/Pena/Humber or are we really gonna rely on one of the 3? Whats Ben Sheets gonna demand contract wise? would he take on a limited role? hes the only guy i can think of thats left whod be an upgrade.

Chris Sale.

Oh wait. :angry:

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 10:33 PM)
so now whats really left out there starting pitching wise that would be an upgrade over Harrell/Pena/Humber or are we really gonna rely on one of the 3? Whats Ben Sheets gonna demand contract wise? would he take on a limited role? hes the only guy i can think of thats left whod be an upgrade.

As mentioned before, the point of signing a stopgap, back of the rotation starter is that you are assured that they will make starts. The White Sox have a good rotation when it is healthy and they don't need to look for a high risk, high reward type of guy.

Perhaps it is a sign that the White Sox feel that Peavy really won't miss much, if any, time at all. That's not a bad thing.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 11:15 PM)
Chris Sale.

Oh wait. :angry:

I don't think you'll be as angry when Sale is closing out the the division clinching game in late September.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 10:33 PM)

Free agent pitchers left according to MLB trade rumors...

Jeremy Bonderman SP

Doug Davis SP

John Maine SP

Pedro Martinez SP

Kevin Millwood SP

Brian Moehler RF / SP

Jamie Moyer SP

Andy Pettitte SP

Jarrod Washburn SP

If the Sox are looking for a stop gap, I think Lucas Harrell might be the guy. Maybe some early in the season major league experience will do him some good.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 08:14 AM)

Jeremy Bonderman SP

Doug Davis SP

John Maine SP

Pedro Martinez SP

Kevin Millwood SP

Brian Moehler RF / SP

Jamie Moyer SP

Andy Pettitte SP

Jarrod Washburn SP

If the Sox are looking for a stop gap, I think Lucas Harrell might be the guy. Maybe some early in the season major league experience will do him some good.

I'd rather go with Humber or even Pena than Harrell.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 08:14 AM)

Jeremy Bonderman SP

Doug Davis SP

John Maine SP

Pedro Martinez SP

Kevin Millwood SP

Brian Moehler RF / SP

Jamie Moyer SP

Andy Pettitte SP

Jarrod Washburn SP

Sounds like Pedro is not pitching again, Pettitte would only go to the Bronx, and Moyer just had Tommy John, so you can cross them off the list.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 04:17 AM)
As mentioned before, the point of signing a stopgap, back of the rotation starter is that you are assured that they will make starts. The White Sox have a good rotation when it is healthy and they don't need to look for a high risk, high reward type of guy.

Perhaps it is a sign that the White Sox feel that Peavy really won't miss much, if any, time at all. That's not a bad thing.

I don't think you'll be as angry when Sale is closing out the the division clinching game in late August.

Fixed. :gosoxretro:

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 11:14 AM)

Jeremy Bonderman SP

Doug Davis SP

John Maine SP

Pedro Martinez SP

Kevin Millwood SP

Brian Moehler RF / SP

Jamie Moyer SP

Andy Pettitte SP

Jarrod Washburn SP

Which of these guys do we think might be best out of the bullpen, since that's their ultimate destination (that, or DFA I guess)? I'm thinking Bondo, maybe?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 12:53 PM)
I'll be rooting for Sale the whole year. It's not his fault the organization has no idea how to handle his situation.

Stop crying about it. They don't know how to handle the situation? You know what, I think they're handling it perfectly. They're doing what is best for the team this year with the intention of having him return to starting duties next season. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean they don't know how to handle it.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 12:50 PM)
Stop crying about it. They don't know how to handle the situation? You know what, I think they're handling it perfectly. They're doing what is best for the team this year with the intention of having him return to starting duties next season. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean they don't know how to handle it.

f*** and yes

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 02:02 PM)
Which of these guys do we think might be best out of the bullpen, since that's their ultimate destination (that, or DFA I guess)? I'm thinking Bondo, maybe?

Stay away from Bonderman, his arm is falling off along with his mental state.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 12:50 PM)

Exactly.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 01:50 PM)

Winner.

They are going for it this year and having Sale at the back of the pen puts us in the best position to accomplish that.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 01:50 PM)

Ok my bad. A decision I don't like means I am wrong, and a decision you agree with means they are right. K, gotcha. I look forward to Sale being in the rotation in 2012 and giving us 180+ innings of solid pitching.