White Sox Off-Season Catch All Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 01:41 PM)
Ok my bad. A decision I don't like means I am wrong, and a decision you agree with means they are right. K, gotcha. I look forward to Sale being in the rotation in 2012 and giving us 180+ innings of solid pitching.

You are putting words into his mouth. He didn't say whether or not he agreed with the decision. He merely pointed out that because you disagree with it does not make it the wrong choice.

Quite frankly, there is no wrong choice. Using him as a starting pitcher in the minors or as a reliever with the big league club are both going to be good for Sale and the White Sox in general.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 03:51 PM)
You are putting words into his mouth. He didn't say whether or not he agreed with the decision. He merely pointed out that because you disagree with it does not make it the wrong choice.

Quite frankly, there is no wrong choice. Using him as a starting pitcher in the minors or as a reliever with the big league club are both going to be good for Sale and the White Sox in general.

Exactly, thanks for explaining.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 02:34 PM)
Winner.

They are going for it this year and having Sale at the back of the pen puts us in the best position to accomplish that.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 02:29 PM)
Exactly.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 01:53 PM)
f*** and yes

I make a decent point once in a blue moon :cheers

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 08:08 PM)
He is going to want a spot in the rotation all year. He won't get that here. He should in Cleveland.

He will want to be a starter. Presented with the list of pitching free agents I think he is the best. He may get a good chance to start with the Sox as we don't know Peavey's situation and he could just plain be better than Floyd. Although I do have reservations about picking up veterans off the scrap heap. Besides if there is anyting not right with him can't Coop fix him?

QUOTE (since56 @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 08:27 AM)
He will want to be a starter. Presented with the list of pitching free agents I think he is the best. He may get a good chance to start with the Sox as we don't know Peavey's situation and he could just plain be better than Floyd. Although I do have reservations about picking up veterans off the scrap heap. Besides if there is anyting not right with him can't Coop fix him?

He may start in Chicago. He will start in Cleveland.

See the difference?

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 08:59 AM)
I considered noting that, though I figured it was obvious and I decided to keep it a positive post.

Assuming it counts last year...that really does tell you how healthy the Sox have been otherwise.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 08:03 AM)
Assuming it counts last year...that really does tell you how healthy the Sox have been otherwise.

In the way of catastrophic injuries, the White Sox have been incredibly lucky. The training staff is incredible at both keeping players healthy and getting them back to health after an injury.

This is a very cool White Sox shirt, but I can't figure out who it is... Anybody have any idea? My first guess would be Harold Baines, but I don't remember him ever having just a mustache. Who else could it be from that era?

The rest of the line is pretty cool and more defined with guys like Randy Johnson, Reggie Jackson, Mattingly, Munson, and Kirby Puckett, : NIKE

Edited by ChrisLikesBaseball

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 09:39 AM)
In the way of catastrophic injuries, the White Sox have been incredibly lucky. The training staff is incredible at both keeping players healthy and getting them back to health after an injury.

There's more to it than luck. There's the training staff. There's also the type of guys we sign. There's also the type of contracts that the team gives out; they're not giving out 8 year deals to guys or $25 million contracts to 37 year olds.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 08:57 AM)
There's more to it than luck. There's the training staff. There's also the type of guys we sign. There's also the type of contracts that the team gives out; they're not giving out 8 year deals to guys or $25 million contracts to 37 year olds.

I didn't take any credit away from the training staff or the organization, I actually gave them credit in the post you quoted. The training staff prevents and heals better than anyone in the business and the organization is very smart and values durability, but there's some amount to luck to it too. Justin Morneau taking a knee to the head and getting a concussion is a freak catastrophic injury that can't be prepared for or prevented by a training staff. The White Sox have been lucky to not have anything like that happen to any core players until Peavy had to go and have a muscle detach from his body. Some will say Peavy was just an injury waiting to happen, but the severity of the injury couldn't be prepared for.

Regardless, it's an awesome statistic that has allowed The White Sox to save a ton of money over the last decade while remaining largely competitive, at least partially allowing for this surge in payroll that we're seeing this year.

The article states that the second best team at staying healthy is the Milwaukee Brewers, who are doing some spending this off season to try to capitalize on what will probably be Prince Fielder's last season in Milwaukee. It's an interesting parallel.

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 08:45 AM)
This is a very cool White Sox shirt, but I can't figure out who it is... Anybody have any idea? My first guess would be Harold Baines, but I don't remember him ever having just a mustache. Who else could it be from that era?

The rest of the line is pretty cool and more defined with guys like Randy Johnson, Reggie Jackson, Mattingly, Munson, and Kirby Puckett, : NIKE

Weird. During that jersey period, who from the Sox ended up in Cooperstown? I can think of Fisk and Seaver. Neither of them had a stache like that.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 09:35 AM)
Weird. During that jersey period, who from the Sox ended up in Cooperstown? I can think of Fisk and Seaver. Neither of them had a stache like that.

I think "Cooperstown" is loosely used whenever Nike does anything baseball related using an old logo, but most of the players they used in this line are Cooperstown caliber or iconic.. I can't think of an iconic Sox player from that era who had that kind of stache. It didn't stop me from ordering a shirt though..

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 09:45 AM)
I think "Cooperstown" is loosely used whenever Nike does anything baseball related using an old logo, but most of the players they used in this line are Cooperstown caliber or iconic.. I can't think of an iconic Sox player from that era who had that kind of stache. It didn't stop me from ordering a shirt though..

The only one I can remember with a stache like that was Goose, and he was long gone by the time that jersey was around. Lamar Hoyt sported the full beard.

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 09:45 AM)

If by "iconic" you mean s***ty, it could be Jerry Don Gleaton or even The Dibber. My guess is Lamarr Hoyt, minus the beard.