White Sox Off-Season Catch All Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 09:55 AM)
If by "iconic" you mean s***ty, it could be Jerry Don Gleaton or even The Dibber. My guess is Lamarr Hoyt, minus the beard.

Edit: oops, interpreted your comment wrong.

Edited by ChrisLikesBaseball

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Reggie Jackson and Randy Johnson are the best.

As for the Sox shirt; the Yahoo blog link lists all the players, and even asked Nike directly, just to be sure on some of the tougher ones. Nike came back and said it was "Wade Boggs", lol.

After doing a search, they come to believe it is Ozzie.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_leagu...?urn=mlb-316458

Edited by smalls2598

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 11:47 AM)
The Reggie Jackson and Randy Johnson are the best.

As for the Sox shirt; the Yahoo blog link lists all the players, and even asked Nike directly, just to be sure on some of the tougher ones. Nike came back and said it was "Wade Boggs", lol.

After doing a search, they come to believe it is Ozzie.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_leagu...?urn=mlb-316458

I guess Ozzie does make the most sense. I'd love a current logo shirt with the stache of Jose Valentin though.

yeah any old MLB logo on shirts is under the "Cooperstown Collection" umbrella, really doesn't have much to do with actual Cooperstown, similar to Hardwood Classics in NBA and Gridiron Classics in NFL and Vintage Hockey for NHL.

Another artist here at work mocked up some similar designs of the other designers in our department, pretty good laugh.

QUOTE (MEANS @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 12:11 PM)
yeah any old MLB logo on shirts is under the "Cooperstown Collection" umbrella, really doesn't have much to do with actual Cooperstown, similar to Hardwood Classics in NBA and Gridiron Classics in NFL and Vintage Hockey for NHL.

Another artist here at work mocked up some similar designs of the other designers in our department, pretty good laugh.

I believe Jeremy (knightni) had a "Free Mustache Rides" shirt for Jose Valentin available on some shirt site. PM him.

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 12:05 PM)
I guess Ozzie does make the most sense. I'd love a current logo shirt with the stache of Jose Valentin though.

Did Ozzie ever wear that jersey? I thought by the time he started they moved on to the script White Sox jersey?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 12:16 PM)
Did Ozzie ever wear that jersey? I thought by the time he started they moved on to the script White Sox jersey?

Ozzie made his playing debut in 1985, the script White Sox with the script "C" hat made it's debut in 1987, he wore that jersey for 2 seasons.

QUOTE (MEANS @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 01:11 PM)

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 01:14 PM)
I believe Jeremy (knightni) had a "Free Mustache Rides" shirt for Jose Valentin available on some shirt site. PM him.

http://www.cafepress.com/knightni.339316546#

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 05:45 PM)
Scot Gregor on White Sox Weekly on the Score was pretty sure and made a solid prediction that Teahen is not with the team on opening day.

For cereal? I don't see it, but I'm far from an expert. Are they really abandoning him as a super-utility? Huh.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 11:48 PM)
Mark Teahen would make a fine super-utility player, or at least a solid pinch-hitter, just not as his contract. I'd love to dump him somewhere.

That bad neighborhood near the Cell would do. :lolhitting

JR from ESPN:

"We've really taken a chance," Reinsdorf said on ESPN 1000's "Talking Baseball." "The term all-in I think really makes some sense here. If we draw what we drew last year, we will lose a lot of money. We decided to make a bet that if we put this team together the way we have, that it'll contend and that people will come out and support it. Otherwise, we are definitely going to lose money. Fortunately over the years we've made a little here, we've made a little there and we can cover it if we lose. We won't be able to lose money two years in a row."

Considering how they were beyond extended picking up Peavy and Rios and Manny, I think JR just blew a hole in any theory the White Sox had spent every dime they brought in.

My hypothesis is that the Sox come close to spending what they make every year, but probably aim to profit a few million to keep the ownership happy. This means that they will have a lower payroll than the max they can afford going into the season, and they usually can readjust their estimates of profit midseason and can pick up extra money at the deadline.

And JR put it bluntly, if the fans support the team in attendance they can afford to put a $115-120 million team out there every year, but it's a big risk for the team to do so with no guarantee that the team is going to contend and thus having a big risk of losing money.

Just like last year was Ozzie's gamble on the team he wanted, this year will be JR/KW's gamble that the team presently built will draw loads of fans to the stadium.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 6, 2011 -> 09:38 AM)
My hypothesis is that the Sox come close to spending what they make every year, but probably aim to profit a few million to keep the ownership happy. This means that they will have a lower payroll than the max they can afford going into the season, and they usually can readjust their estimates of profit midseason and can pick up extra money at the deadline.

And JR put it bluntly, if the fans support the team in attendance they can afford to put a $115-120 million team out there every year, but it's a big risk for the team to do so with no guarantee that the team is going to contend and thus having a big risk of losing money.

Just like last year was Ozzie's gamble on the team he wanted, this year will be JR/KW's gamble that the team presently built will draw loads of fans to the stadium.

JR shouldn't be pleading for fans who probably 99.999% would rather be in his financial situation than their own, to buy tickets so he might not lose money., which he admits he could handle if it happened. He needs to plead to his staff and his players to perform and make people come out. What JR knows is the team sells itself. The ad campaigns help a little bit, but if he wants attendance to jump, the White Sox have to play well, and start playing well relatively early in the season. April home games except for opening day aren't going to be too crowded, although the Frank Thomas bobblehead will bring some people in and bring them in early which is good for extra concession sales. But the bottom line is no ad campaign, no pleading from the Chairman is going to put butts in the seats if the Sox don't win.

The White Sox are a business. Not all business make money every year. Not all businesses deserve to make money every year. I truly believe this will be a banner year with attendance if the Sox win. Last year was a fluke. The team was less than mediocre outside of a 30 game stretch around the All Star break. If they can play consistenly well, the team won't lose money.

Edited by Dick Allen

According to you Dick, the Sox had a few options present:

1) Stay at the payroll of about $100 million and makes lots of money.

2) Spend all the money to make more money, as in a $120ish million payroll.

The upside is that with option 1 if they believe their team is good enough to win then they saved that much money while increasing attendance (obviously that didnt happen) while in option 2 they run a huge risk in losing money if they don't win.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 6, 2011 -> 10:28 AM)
According to you Dick, the Sox had a few options present:

1) Stay at the payroll of about $100 million and makes lots of money.

2) Spend all the money to make more money, as in a $120ish million payroll.

The upside is that with option 1 if they believe their team is good enough to win then they saved that much money while increasing attendance (obviously that didnt happen) while in option 2 they run a huge risk in losing money if they don't win.

Do you seriously believe JR is risking losing a ton of money say $20-30 million? Not a chance in hell. For the record, I like JR, but he's cried poor for years, and until now has always said, and has had his underlings say, every dime that comes in is spent on the team. Now he says over the years, they make a little here, make a little there. Attendance has dropped 4 consecutive years. If you recall KW was saying the were out of money before they picked up Peavy. Then they somehow not only found the money for Peavy but Rios as well. Attendance did not spike. Then they added payroll last season and with attendance down again, were somehow able to find $4 million for 1 month of Manny. They had the money all along. Now JR brings back AJ and Konerko and Dunn. Gives Crain 3 years. Gives Ramirez an extension, and is saying if the fans don't show up, he'll lose a lot of money. Apparently, when the fans were showing up before or not showing up, he was making a lot of money. Why should anyone feel bad about not spending money they may have a bigger need to spend elsewhere so JR and his partners don't have to eat into some of their previous profits? There's nothing wrong with JR making a profit, but there's nothing wrong with a family of 5 living on $70k in salary a year, waiting to see how the weather is or how entertaining the team is before committing $200-300 on a White Sox outing.

Edited by Dick Allen