White Sox Off-Season Catch All Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 7, 2011 -> 07:16 PM)
[/b]

Nothing personal, but, good. These should be weekday games. We know they are selling out, so why take up prime dates? Stick them on days when we don't sell out. Hell I wish they were weekday games in April, so we could get an extra 30,000 people in those crappy days versus summer weekend dates which would have 30k at them anyway.

Agreed, have thought that for a long time, we don't need the Cubs to sell out a weekend series in June. We need 30,000 fans at games during the week.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the topic of JR's Sox investments being tied to his Bulls windfalls:

Even if he can't directly pull cash from the Bulls and put it into the Sox, he can free up more money for Sox payroll if his other business investments are doing well. If he knows he's making significant cash off the Bulls which will be available in the future, he may be willing to pour more of his other assets into the Sox. Doesn't mean he has to sell Bulls stocks or use cash from that investment, just that his success in one area could influence his decisions in another.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 7, 2011 -> 07:16 PM)
[/b]

Nothing personal, but, good. These should be weekday games. We know they are selling out, so why take up prime dates? Stick them on days when we don't sell out. Hell I wish they were weekday games in April, so we could get an extra 30,000 people in those crappy days versus summer weekend dates which would have 30k at them anyway.

If those tickets are in the $50-$100 price range I bet they are easy to get and will not sell out.

The steam for this series is getting really old especially if the cubs suck this year.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 12:15 PM)
If those tickets are in the $50-$100 price range I bet they are easy to get and will not sell out.

The steam for this series is getting really old especially if the cubs suck this year.

They will all sell out, I'd bet on it. They won't get as much of a mark-up on Stub Hub, but the games will sell out.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 12:15 PM)

False. The hype has died down a bit, but they will sell out. Have you been to the games? People still go and really get into the games, records be damned, even as the prices have topped all other games. In fact, if the Cubs suck, it at least gives their fans one series to look forward to, beating the Sox.

Tommy john has claimed young pitchers before. For right now looking at the next 3 years or so i dont know if its that easy. He has the same mechanics with the inverted w and alot of arm action. Injury is the only thing that would scare me out of a lol yes

Edited by soxsider11

QUOTE (soxsider11 @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 10:30 PM)
Tommy john has claimed young pitchers before. For right now looking at the next 3 years or so i dont know if its that easy. He has the same mechanics with the inverted w and alot of arm action. Injury is the only thing that would scare me out of a lol yes

I'm willing to take that risk. Guys like Strasburg come along once a generation (think Bo Jackson, LeBron James). I'm a big Danks fan. But there are at least five left-handed starters alone of similar age I would take over Danks.

I agree that there are other starters at a similar or even younger age better than danks. I guess I can't think james or jackson because prior keeps popping up in my mind. I would probably take the risk as well based on long term potential but it would be tough to do right now with an aging team with a narrow window.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 01:17 PM)
False. The hype has died down a bit, but they will sell out. Have you been to the games? People still go and really get into the games, records be damned, even as the prices have topped all other games. In fact, if the Cubs suck, it at least gives their fans one series to look forward to, beating the Sox.

I could not get face value for my Saturday night Club Level seats on StubHub last year. They were $75 each.

I used to go to all three games every year but now only try to make one. They are no bigger than any other game for me and really not worth the effort they used to be. Maybe I am just getting old.

They will most likely sell out but if the prices are $50 for s*** seats I would not be surprised if they did not. Weekday games in June impact this in a big way.

The resale market for the weekday cubs games at wrigley last year was very depressed.

Edited by Harry Chappas

QUOTE (soxsider11 @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 10:04 PM)
Interesting question my roomate just asked me. Would you John Danks for Strasburg?

If I ever meet Strasburg and he asks me to John Danks for him, I'd probably say yes.

Then I'd ask him "How the hell do I John Danks?"

:lolhitting

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 11:33 PM)
I'm willing to take that risk. Guys like Strasburg come along once a generation (think Bo Jackson, LeBron James). I'm a big Danks fan. But there are at least five left-handed starters alone of similar age I would take over Danks.

Think Prior, Gooden, Wood.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Feb 9, 2011 -> 10:51 AM)
I could not get face value for my Saturday night Club Level seats on StubHub last year. They were $75 each.

I used to go to all three games every year but now only try to make one. They are no bigger than any other game for me and really not worth the effort they used to be. Maybe I am just getting old.

They will most likely sell out but if the prices are $50 for s*** seats I would not be surprised if they did not. Weekday games in June impact this in a big way.

The resale market for the weekday cubs games at wrigley last year was very depressed.

Really? I remember looking for tickets and seeing that the cheapest UD were in that range or higher, but maybe I was wrong. Weekday games ticket would definitely not be as popular and would hurt the resale value, but they still sell out, guaranteed. There have been weekday games in the past, and they are always gone the first hour that tickets go on sale, if even available.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 11:33 PM)

Bo Jackson made 1 All-Star game, had 1 100-RBI Season and highest OPS in one season was .866. I don't doubt his athletic ability, but his baseball career was mediocre at best.

I agree 100% with your second point though.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 9, 2011 -> 12:56 PM)
Bo Jackson made 1 All-Star game, had 1 100-RBI Season and highest OPS in one season was .866. I don't doubt his athletic ability, but his baseball career was mediocre at best.

You know he also played football right? ;)

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 9, 2011 -> 12:18 PM)
You know he also played football right? ;)

You mean like Premier League Football, right?

OK, I did forget how good Bo when he was playing in the NFL. But kinf of similarily the guys Steve mentioned, he only played 4 years and was done by the age of 28. He is one of the best athletes of all time, but didn't have anything remotely close to a HOF career in either sport.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 9, 2011 -> 11:56 AM)

I meant as far as natural talent and athleticism. Bo Jackson was the greatest athlete of the last 25 years. If not for the debilitating hip injury he would've been one of the all-time greats. Possibly in both sports. But definitely baseball.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 9, 2011 -> 12:37 PM)
You mean like Premier League Football, right?

OK, I did forget how good Bo when he was playing in the NFL. But kinf of similarily the guys Steve mentioned, he only played 4 years and was done by the age of 28. He is one of the best athletes of all time, but didn't have anything remotely close to a HOF career in either sport.

You know about the hip, right? You seem to be ignoring that. It was one of the most devastating injuries suffered by an athlete ever. Right there with Joe Thiesman.

Edited by Jordan4life