White Sox Off-Season Catch All Thread

Chisoxfn

Had Jackson simply played one sport instead of both, I think he probably would have been a Hall of Famer in whichever sport he chose. But as a result of playing football, he didn't have the time to put as much work as most should into studying pitchers, and due to playing the outfield, his legs wore down crazy, and then the hip happened.

You hear the phrase "once in a generation talent" all too often now a days, but Bo Jackson quite literally was a once in a generation talent.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 7, 2011 -> 07:16 PM)
[/b]

Nothing personal, but, good. These should be weekday games. We know they are selling out, so why take up prime dates? Stick them on days when we don't sell out. Hell I wish they were weekday games in April, so we could get an extra 30,000 people in those crappy days versus summer weekend dates which would have 30k at them anyway.

Disagree, Cubs/Sox should be on the weekend since its a large party atmosphere. I like the inter-city tailgating and partying that takes place during the series, it wont be nearly as fun on a monday/tues/wed

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 9, 2011 -> 03:09 PM)
Disagree, Cubs/Sox should be on the weekend since its a large party atmosphere. I like the inter-city tailgating and partying that takes place during the series, it wont be nearly as fun on a monday/tues/wed

They're still going to sell out though. From the fan's perspective, it sucks. From the team's perspective, it's amazing.

I'm not one to place blame on fans, because I understand how difficult it is to get to games in general, but if the Sox had good attendance during the weekdays normally, the Sox would absolutely cater to them by having the Cubs games on the weekend. Fiscally though, this makes the most sense.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 9, 2011 -> 02:43 PM)
I meant as far as natural talent and athleticism. Bo Jackson was the greatest athlete of the last 25 years. If not for the debilitating hip injury he would've been one of the all-time greats. Possibly in both sports. But definitely baseball.

I will agree with that 100%. I kind of took it on that baseball tangent, but there's no doubt athletically he was a one of a kind talent. Comparing his NFL & MLB numbers, he had way more success on the football field, his MLB numbers don't particulary stand out as exceptional. That being he said, if he concentrated 100% on baseball, I'm sure it would have made a difference.

I forgot that I was one sudden injury that derailed him, I for some reason remembered a culmination of several hip problems. Interesting quote from the trainer on Wikipedia:

After Jackson was tackled and lying in pain on the ground, he allegedly popped his hip back into place. In an interview on Untold, his Royals' teammate George Brett, who attended the game, said he asked the trainer what had happened to Bo. The trainer replied "Bo says he felt his hip come out of the socket, so he popped it back in, but that's just impossible, no one's that strong."

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 11:58 AM)
Anyone get their Juan Pierre Bobblehead in the mail?

Thanks for backing up my AJP and Jake Peavy one with the likeness of probably my least favorite player.

Yep.

Funny tidbit. I have a friend that has four tickets in the 27 game plan and collects bobbleheads and never gets these in that plan. I have no interest in Bobbleheads so they sit in a box in a closet.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 12:39 PM)
Yep.

Funny tidbit. I have a friend that has four tickets in the 27 game plan and collects bobbleheads and never gets these in that plan. I have no interest in Bobbleheads so they sit in a box in a closet.

I have the 27 game plan and get the bobbleheads, he can have my Pierre. Right now its in the box holding up a cabinet door I am repairing.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 01:02 PM)
I have the 27 game plan and get the bobbleheads, he can have my Pierre. Right now its in the box holding up a cabinet door I am repairing.

He may get it then. I get boxes of stuff all throughout the year. Last year I got some fleece thing that I have no clue what it even is.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 06:42 PM)
The latest edition of CAIRO projections have the White Sox finishing 84-78, but in first place in the AL Central. Says Sox have 36% chance at winning division.

http://www.rlyw.net/index.php/RLYW/comment...ected_standings

Ain't no way 84 games wins this division. I think Detroit, Minny and us all finish above 84 with us and Minny above 90.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 11, 2011 -> 12:27 AM)
Personally, I was a fan of Lillibridge's home-run and casual walk after he slammed a monster 3-run HR to center.....

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=8845663

Ahh, remember that one quite well. I was listening on the radio and Farmio kept going on and on how Lilly had tattooed that sucker. I figured he was exaggerating. I saw that exact clip you posted later that night and was stunned.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 11, 2011 -> 01:41 AM)
Ahh, remember that one quite well. I was listening on the radio and Farmio kept going on and on how Lilly had tattooed that sucker. I figured he was exaggerating. I saw that exact clip you posted later that night and was stunned.

He has the swagger of an Albert Pujols on that HR.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 11, 2011 -> 12:19 AM)
Better bat-flip? AJ's or PK's after that second bomb off Wood in '02?

No f***ing contest, my friend. Keep in mind Konerko was hit in the head by a pitch earlier in the game, I just assume he hit the 2nd while suffering from a severe concussion.

output.gif

(the 2nd was off Borowski)