White Sox Off-Season Catch All Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 12, 2011 -> 01:41 PM)
Ozzie is on with Ranger, and it sounds like Ozzie has had a change of heart about the lineup. He originally said Dunn would bat third, but now he's saying it's Rios--which is perfect to me.

This is what he just said the lineup will be if all goes well:

Pierre

Beckham

Rios

Dunn

Konerko

Quentin

Pierzynski

Ramirez

Morel or Teahen (but we all know it's Morel)

That's what I've been saying for months. It sets up your best hitters in a R-L-R-L-R (switch AJ and Quentin), and it puts Rios, who has good speed, in front of the heavy hitters.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 12, 2011 -> 01:36 PM)
That's what I've been saying for months. It sets up your best hitters in a R-L-R-L-R (switch AJ and Quentin), and it puts Rios, who has good speed, in front of the heavy hitters.

Rios just really isn't that great of a hitter, Dunn and PK should really be batting 3-4.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 12, 2011 -> 01:36 PM)

I over use the expression, but seriously, you don't need to run very quickly when the ball gets hit over the fence.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 12, 2011 -> 02:47 PM)
Rios just really isn't that great of a hitter, Dunn and PK should really be batting 3-4.

If you got the 1st 2 months of last year Rios for the full year you wouldn't complain...but then you'd have Rios putting up a >.900 OPS.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 12, 2011 -> 04:32 PM)
Rios will probably be a better hitter with PK and Dunn behind him versus anyone else in this line up.

Why? Rios was hitting in front of Konerko, in the #3 slot, for 2/3 of the year last year and put up a .748 OPS in the #3 spot.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 12, 2011 -> 04:00 PM)
You do when the ball is smashed into the gaps instead. And we all know how much Ozzie loves his L-R matchups.

And I bet Beckham would score from 1st on a double too. I know Pierre would.

You want to maximize the amount of ABs for your good hitters while properly utilizing their value. Having an OK hitter get more ABs than your two best hitters while limiting their own value doesn't do a lot of good for the lineup.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 12, 2011 -> 05:55 PM)
And I bet Beckham would score from 1st on a double too. I know Pierre would.

You want to maximize the amount of ABs for your good hitters while properly utilizing their value. Having an OK hitter get more ABs than your two best hitters while limiting their own value doesn't do a lot of good for the lineup.

Well, then put Dunn and Konerko at 1-2, or 2-3. I mean, the reason you put your best hitters at 3-5 is so you can give them a better chance at RBI's with good speed in front of them.

I am much more confident in Rios scoring from 1st on a 2B by Dunn or Konerko than I am of Dunn or Konerko scoring on a 2B by Rios.

If it ends of being Dunn-Konerko-Rios on April 1st, I won't be disappointed. I think any combination of those 3 will work out pretty well anyway, I just would prefer the speed was in front of the slow power bats, not behind them.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 12, 2011 -> 05:02 PM)
Well, then put Dunn and Konerko at 1-2, or 2-3. I mean, the reason you put your best hitters at 3-5 is so you can give them a better chance at RBI's with good speed in front of them.

I am much more confident in Rios scoring from 1st on a 2B by Dunn or Konerko than I am of Dunn or Konerko scoring on a 2B by Rios.

If it ends of being Dunn-Konerko-Rios on April 1st, I won't be disappointed. I think any combination of those 3 will work out pretty well anyway, I just would prefer the speed was in front of the slow power bats, not behind them.

You also have to consider their ability to get on base. Dunn and Konerko will have the opportunity to get thrown out at home far more often than Rios will simply because those two are also getting on base.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 12, 2011 -> 06:02 PM)

The problem with this logic is...Rios has one of our lower OBP's, even if he's hitting ok. So yeah, he can score from first on a 2b, but he's not on 1b as much as other guys.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 07:42 PM)
OK, I'm like seriously jonesing for some baseball right now. I mean, I even miss Juan Pierre's epic attempts at getting on base via the weak single.

It worked 27.5% of the time last year!

I agree though. They had several MLB articles in the Trib today and I'm ready for it.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 01:46 AM)
It worked 27.5% of the time last year!

I agree though. They had several MLB articles in the Trib today and I'm ready for it.

Anyone know how many chi sox spring training games will be on MLB.tv this year?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 02:42 AM)
OK, I'm like seriously jonesing for some baseball right now. I mean, I even miss Juan Pierre's epic attempts at getting on base via the weak single.

We should all remember this post when we're all b****ing in mid May about whatever. Bring on baseball!

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 04:07 PM)
Speaking of which, has anyone seen their annual deal pop up? Normally they have a deal up for like 3 days where you can get the whole season for $30.

Whoooo nelly!

Dude - you gotta PM me when that rolls around. What a deal!

I'm broke too - hook it up =D

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 09:07 AM)
Speaking of which, has anyone seen their annual deal pop up? Normally they have a deal up for like 3 days where you can get the whole season for $30.

Yes please! If this happens start a new thread in all caps. hi8is is so selfish.