White Sox Off-Season Catch All Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 26, 2011 -> 04:52 PM)
First intrasquad game is tomorrow. Every started except for AJ will be playing. Milledge will be in LF, and Viciedo will be in RF.

I have a feeling Viciedo will be the starting RF by the end of the season with Quentin traded.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sox agree to contracts with 17 players

By Doug Padilla

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- The Chicago White Sox agreed to contracts with 17 players under club control, meaning that all members of the 40-man roster are signed for 2011.

Gordon Beckham heads the list and is one of four infielders to sign along with Eduardo Escobar, Brent Lillibridge and Brent Morel. Outfielders Alejandro De Aza and Stefan Gartrell were also on the list.

A total of 10 pitchers agreed to deals including Anthony Carter, Kyle Cofield, Freddy Dolsi, Lucas Harrell, Gregory Infante, Nate Jones, Jeff Marquez, Jhonny Nunez, Chris Sale and Sergio Santos. Catcher Tyler Flowers also signed.

For those who were all up in arms about Pierre running yesterday with no outs and the heart of the order up... Ozzie himself was quoted after the game as saying he hoped it was just a spring training thing, and that he simply gave hsi players carte blanche to run at will and show what they can do in that way. This is a non-issue.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 1, 2011 -> 08:47 AM)
For those who were all up in arms about Pierre running yesterday with no outs and the heart of the order up... Ozzie himself was quoted after the game as saying he hoped it was just a spring training thing, and that he simply gave hsi players carte blanche to run at will and show what they can do in that way. This is a non-issue.

Then Ozzie's lying. That was a double-steal.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Mar 1, 2011 -> 07:59 AM)
Either that, or GB was paying attention.

If a guy knows counts, runners habits, situations, and/or is just plain paying attention, it can look seamless. Hell Pierre could have told him that he was running no matter what at some point.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 1, 2011 -> 10:00 AM)
"Jon Heyman

heard ex-No. 1 pick phil humber has caught #chisox p. coach don coopers eye. no. 5 starter if peavy can't start year?"

hmm, an ex-first round pick that caught Coopers eye... I like the sound of that. We'll see if it pans out, but who knows.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 1, 2011 -> 10:17 AM)
Bad baseball player. That's all you need to know.

Eh, people can pull out their quotes on Gavin after he got here, and they would look pretty similar. It's probably nothing, but I am giving our coaches the benefit of the doubt with their history.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 1, 2011 -> 10:20 AM)
Eh, people can pull out their quotes on Gavin after he got here, and they would look pretty similar. It's probably nothing, but I am giving our coaches the benefit of the doubt with their history.

If you say so. Humber is horrible and will be an automatic loss whenever he takes the mound. I could be in the running for the 5th spot and Coop or Merkin or Ranger will talk about my upside. I ignore anything and everything fluff related in Feb/March. But that's what happens when you have zero organizational depth.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 1, 2011 -> 10:30 AM)
If you say so. Humber is horrible and will be an automatic loss whenever he takes the mound. I could be in the running for the 5th spot and Coop or Merkin or Ranger will talk about my upside. I ignore anything and everything fluff related in Feb/March. But that's what happens when you have zero organizational depth.

It would also help if you had the potential that made you a first round pick, but then again that is just me.