Beckham available???

Frank_Thomas

Rival teams believe the White Sox will listen to offers for Gordon Beckham, according to Yahoo's Tim Brown. Let's take a look around the league to determine which teams could become suitors for the infielder. The 24-year-old has a career .260/.331/.416 line and extensive big league experience at second and third. It seems likely that more than half the teams in baseball would have some interest in the former first rounder, despite the extended slow start he had in 2010. Here's a list of teams with potential interest:

Orioles - Josh Bell didn't do much in his 2010 debut, so Beckham could play third and Bell could become trade bait.

Blue Jays - The Blue Jays could non-tender Edwin Encarnacion and play Beckham at third. He strikes me as the sort of player the Blue Jays would have serious interest in.

Red Sox - The Red Sox could play Beckham at third and let Adrian Beltre walk as a free agent.

Indians - The Indians are considering options for third base, but would GM Kenny Williams deal Beckham to a division rival?

Tigers - It seems unlikely that the Tigers could pry Beckham from the White Sox, but it's fun to imagine him at second base.

Twins - Orlando Hudson will probably sign elsewhere, but the Twins face the same problem the Tigers and Indians do.

Royals - The Royals aren't an immediate threat to the White Sox and I bet they'd love to add Beckham to their organization. 

A's - The A's could non-tender or trade Kevin Kouzmanoff and play Beckham at third.

Angels - The Angels could insert Beckham at third if they don't land Beltre.

Marlins - Chris Coghlan will likely play third for Florida next year and Dan Uggla is under team control, but Coghlan could also play in the outfield and Uggla may become a trade candidate.

Mets - The Mets would have to create space by trading Luis Castillo.

Cardinals - Beckham would be a nice fit at second base.

Cubs - The Cubs could have interest in working out a deal with their cross-town rivals and handing Beckham the second base job.

Astros - It wouldn't be shocking if the Astros had some interest in Beckham.

Dodgers - GM Ned Colletti might like the idea of making Beckham his second baseman.

Padres - Beckham would be a great fit for the Padres, since he's cheap and David Eckstein is a free agent.

Giants - Pablo Sandoval is falling out of favor in San Francisco.

D'Backs - Beckham does strike out a fair amount, but he could be a consideration if the D'Backs move Mark Reynolds.

Rockies - If the Rockies non-tender Clint Barmes, they could have interest in Beckham.

The Yankees (Alex Rodriguez, Robinson Cano), Rays (Evan Longoria, Sean Rodriguez, Ben Zobrist), Mariners (Chone Figgins, Dustin Ackley), Rangers (Michael Young, Ian Kinsler), Braves (Chipper Jones, Martin Prado, Omar Infante), Phillies (Placido Polanco, Chase Utley), Nationals (Ryan Zimmerman, Danny Espinosa), Reds (Scott Rolen, Brandon Phillips), Brewers (Casey McGehee, Rickie Weeks) and Pirates (Pedro Alvarez, Neil Walker) have long-term options at third and second. Beckham's promise, affordability and versatility would likely make him one of the most highly coveted players on the trade market if the White Sox do make him available.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 01:36 PM)
If KW held Beckham back in talks for A. Gonzalez and R. Halladay, he better absolutely PILLAGE an organization in a trade involving him.

Meh, kinda easy to say that now. I'm pretty sure 95% of Sox fans wanted no part of dealing Beckham this time last year.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 02:54 PM)
Meh, kinda easy to say that now. I'm pretty sure 95% of Sox fans wanted no part of dealing Beckham this time last year.

Beckham overall put up an .808 OPS on the season in his first year at 2b and as a 23 year old. From the end of June on, once he snapped out of that early funk, he hit .310 with an .885 OPS.

I'm pretty sure 95% of Sox fans want no part of dealing Beckham right now either.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 01:29 PM)
Rival teams believe the White Sox will listen to offers for Gordon Beckham, according to Yahoo's Tim Brown. Let's take a look around the league to determine which teams could become suitors for the infielder. The 24-year-old has a career .260/.331/.416 line and extensive big league experience at second and third. It seems likely that more than half the teams in baseball would have some interest in the former first rounder, despite the extended slow start he had in 2010. Here's a list of teams with potential interest:

I'm sure most of the majors would have great interest in Beckham, especially considering his contract situation. Which of those teams have available trade chips that KW would have enough interest to trade Beckham for? Not many of them at all.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 03:01 PM)
Beckham overall put up an .808 OPS on the season in his first year at 2b and as a 23 year old. From the end of June on, once he snapped out of that early funk, he hit .310 with an .885 OPS.

I'm pretty sure 95% of Sox fans want no part of dealing Beckham right now either.

For the right player with the right contractual status, I would.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 02:01 PM)

Well if the Sox could sign A. Gonzalez to an extension, I'd drive Beckham to San Diego.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 02:01 PM)

Let's just say he's a lot less 'untouchable' now than he was last year.

I don't believe for minute that Beckham is available. You don't give up on that much potential at the salary he's at for the next few years. Now if he has another bad start/good finish season, then I might entertain the idea of trading him next offseason when the Sox may have a better idea of what Eduardo Escobar can do. Right now, it would be a highly risky move no matter who they get back. I'm already nervous about the Daniel Hudson loss. If we're an average team next year with Hudson and Beckham playing at a high level for different teams, it would be an ugly scene. I don't think the Sox will take that risk right now.

This scenario rears its ugly head too often with this organization. We draft and develop talent only to trade them away. Let's not go crazy with this kind os talk though. Gordon Beckham-Alexei Ramirez-maybe Morel and who knws who at IB are mainstays of our ball club for years.

It woud make more sense to trade a Mark Buerhle (not that I am advocatig that) then a youngster like Beckham when you consider the return and the potential

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 02:11 PM)
This scenario rears its ugly head too often with this organization. We draft and develop talent only to trade them away. Let's not go crazy with this kind os talk though. Gordon Beckham-Alexei Ramirez-maybe Morel and who knws who at IB are mainstays of our ball club for years.

Alexei Ramirez only has a couple prime years left. He's 29.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 02:12 PM)
If he is, then the Sox know something behind the scenes about him that we don't.

Don't get me wrong. I've never advocated trading Beckham. I think (or hope) that he'll be that 'true' superstar this organization hasn't had since Frank. But c'mon, the hype last year was ridiculous. I remember even Kalapse saying it worried him some. And unless I'm reading your earlier post wrong, Beckham didn't sport anywhere near an .808 OPS last year. It was under .700 I believe.

Edit: Yeah, I misunderstood. You confused me when you said at 2B.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 03:22 PM)
Don't get me wrong. I've never advocated trading Beckham. I think (or hope) that he'll be that 'true' superstar this organization hasn't had since Frank. But c'mon, the hype last year was ridiculous. I remember even Kalapse saying it worried him some. And unless I'm reading your earlier post wrong, Beckham didn't sport anywhere near an .808 OPS last year. It was under .700 I believe.

Edit: Yeah, I misunderstood. You confused me when you said at 2B.

You're right, he put up a .695 last year. My mistake, I put in his 2009 OPS there.

He still put up a .890-ish OPS after June though. That one I got right.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 02:16 PM)
Alexei Ramirez only has a couple prime years left. He's 29.

I always forget that. I just assume he is still like 25 or 26. It's nice that he is still under the Sox control in 2012 & 2013, although I don't know what the arbitration numbers might look like. (Good he didn't win the GG for that reason.)

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 02:46 PM)
THe best MLB hitters are those who keep their slumps minimal.

Are you serious? It was his second full season of professional baseball and his first full year in the majors. All this talk about Beckham being a mental midget is completely absurd. The kid had some difficulty handling failure for the first time in his baseball career, but he rebounded nicely in the second half. Trading him because of those struggles would be a huge mistake.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 04:03 PM)
Are you serious? It was his second full season of professional baseball and his first full year in the majors. All this talk about Beckham being a mental midget is completely absurd. The kid had some difficulty handling failure for the first time in his baseball career, but he rebounded nicely in the second half. Trading him because of those struggles would be a huge mistake.

I agree completely.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 02:09 PM)
Let's just say he's a lot less 'untouchable' now than he was last year.

Doubt it. He's available for a crazy price. KW isn't going to get rid of him unless a team overpays. Techinically he's available, because as Hawk correctly states, every player is or has been tradeable except one. Michael Jordan. Beckham is going nowhere unless some team is willing to grossly overpay.

The White Sox aren't going to let a guy with his talent, tied up cheaply for years, unless they are getting the same thing back multiple times. He's going nowhere.