Bush's Book

jasonxctf

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Nov 14, 2010 -> 09:18 AM)
Yea... Sarah Palin's another example (God forbid she makes it). I just don't really like it.

Rick Perry just released a book too. Basically, I think anyone who has a book out in the past is a candidate now.

I'm going with the opposite, anyone who wants to be a candidate writes a book for the free publicitiy.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 14, 2010 -> 10:19 AM)
I'm going with the opposite, anyone who wants to be a candidate writes a book for the free publicitiy.

Free publicity which also turns into $$. Obama wasn't rich personally before he started running for president and his book sales really took off.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 14, 2010 -> 04:12 PM)
If by running for President, you meant ran for Congress, than I agree with you.

Both. It really took off in 2008, you can see from his tax returns, the book sales made him a millionaire.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 12, 2010 -> 06:34 PM)
I'm not going to read it, but then again, I don't think I have ever paid for the right to read about a politician slobbering all over their own knob.

Ding ding ding! I'm never really interested in these things, be it from someone on the right or the left.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 14, 2010 -> 04:16 PM)
His wifes income really spiked with the Congressional run. They were millionaires before the book.

(He actually ran for the Senate first, and it was probably the rockstar speech in 2004 at the DNC that really did it, not just the campaign).

QUOTE (farmteam @ Nov 14, 2010 -> 05:01 PM)
Ding ding ding! I'm never really interested in these things, be it from someone on the right or the left.

There's a couple things that might be remotely interesting from this. First, if the former president actively plagiarized someone else's book (which is what provoked the review that started this thread off, as far as I can tell), that's an interesting thing.

Secondly, he does sorta confess to a war crime. I doubt it will happen any time soon, but in a decade or so, it's plausible that someone from one of these Middle Eastern nations could organize a movement to do something about that, with the ICC as a medium. This book could legitimately be evidence.

Oh, and now that I think of it, there's 1 more interesting thing...the fact that he's seemingly reached a detente with Kanye West.

Boris Johnson is a total Tory and an old friend from college days. In a piece in the conservative Daily Telegraph, he advises George W. Bush not to bring his book tour to Britain, because he could face arrest as a war criminal:

Waterboarding
i
s
a di
s
gu
s
ting practice by which the victim i
s
deliberately made to thin
k
that he i
s
drowning. It i
s
not
s
ome cunning new p
s
ych-op
s
technique conceived by the CIA. It ha
s
been u
s
ed in the dungeon
s
of dictator
s
for centurie
s
. It i
s
not compatible either with the U
S
con
s
titution or the UN convention again
s
t torture. It i
s
deemed to be torture in thi
s
country, and above all there i
s
no evidence whatever that it ha
s
ever
s
ucceeded in doing what Mr Bu
s
h claimed. It doe
s
not wor
k

How could America complain to the Burme
s
e general
s
about the hou
s
e arre
s
t of Aung
S
an
S
uu
K
yi, when a pre
s
ident authori
s
ed torture? How can we tal
k
about human right
s
in Beijing, when our number one ally and friend
s
eem
s
to be defending thi
s
k
ind of behaviour? I can
t thin
k
of any other American pre
s
ident, in my lifetime, who would have
s
po
k
en in thi
s
way. Mr Bu
s
h
s
hould have remembered the word
s
of the great Republican pre
s
ident, Abraham Lincoln, who
s
aid in 1863 that
military nece
s
s
ity doe
s
not admit of cruelty
. Damn right.

via

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 07:28 PM)
The minute I see England end its occupation of Ireland is the minute I take anything they say seriously on how another country should act or on what are would be war crimes.

WTF? The UK isn't allowed to have opinions on war crimes? Really?

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 06:28 PM)
The minute I see England The US end its occupation of Ireland Iraq and Afghanistan is the minute I take anything they say seriously on how another country should act or on what are would be war crimes.

Could easily be changed to the above.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 06:28 PM)
The minute I see England end its occupation of Ireland is the minute I take anything they say seriously on how another country should act or on what are would be war crimes.

We could loan them our Declaration of Indepedence. You combine that with a gay German officer and the French navy and England is toast.

A few things...it doesn't strike anyone as odd that we are going to compare the Memoir's of George W Bush against that of a President that served 135 years ago? Are we even really talking about the same thing here anymore?

Secondly, wasn't Grant's memoir written while he delusional from the effects of cancer?

I dunno, just seems a bit odd for someone to compare a memoir released to the mass media of the 21st century versus one released in 1885? Not that his memoir isn't highly praised and outstanding, but it seems like maybe the differences in what Grant sought to do and what Bush was seeking to do (in writing their memoirs) are so great as to sort of destroy the comparison altogether.