Nashville, TN

shipps

I am taking the wife to Nashville for her birthday next month and dont have any idea where to stay or where to go. She had a few cities that she has mentioned that she wanted to visit and that was one them. I would like to get an idea of what area and part of town to book a hotel or bed and breakfast at. What hotels do you guys recommend? What the heck is there to do in that city. I would like to go somewhere that would be a nice thing to do or see particularly during the Christmas season.

Thank you boys. :cheers

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 12, 2010 -> 03:42 PM)
In terms of stuff to do, the Opryland hotel is re-opening in a few days after the flood, and it seems to run an enormous number of Christmas-related events.

That hotel looks great but rooms are scarce. Is there any other hotels you would recommend if that one doesnt pan out?

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 12, 2010 -> 04:50 PM)
That hotel looks great but rooms are scarce. Is there any other hotels you would recommend if that one doesnt pan out?

Honestly, I can't recommend a hotel in the Nashville area, I haven't stayed there at all. You'll have as much info as I'd have just by going on Tripadvisor.

went to college there....lots to do, especially if you like country music...

Hotels: you can stay at the Opryland Hotel, but its a good 20 dollar+ cab ride from downtown, and its pricey. However it is an impressive Vegas style hotel, but more wholesome. Never went there during Christmas season, but its supposeldy AMAZING, and probably worth going to even if you don't stay there. Places downtown are good and close to the night life, like the Renaissance, Sheraton, double tree. Other cheaper ones are bit farther out but are still nice, like the hampton or holiday inns on west end.

Food: the aforementioned loveless cafe is a really popular, southern style breakfast (never been there for anythign but breakfast) and is decent, but its a good 20 min drive out of the city. Everyone will tell you Pancake pantry in hillsboro village is the best breakfast in town, but I disagree strongly (not to mention 1 hour + wait on weekends). Best breakfast I came across was Noshville on Broadway -its a new york style deli. The BBQ in nashville is frankly overrated, nothing like Memphis or Birmingham. Jacks is the most popular place, right in the heart of the city on lower Broadway...its pretty solid, but nothing thats going to blow your socks off. If you want a true southern eating experience, Monells is old fashioned fried chicken, sides and sweet tea. Its a cool experience because the restaurant is actually in the owners house and everything is family style. Rotier's is a dumpy burger joint, but its a place Jimmy Buffet used to frequent and legend has it was one of a handful of Burger joints that inspired "Cheeseburger in Paradise." Never been to the Gersthaus, but its authentic German and supposed to be really good.

In addition there are all sorts of Bar/Grills that are great...Southstreet, Jacksons, Sportsmans are all close to the Vandy campus and will likely have alot of college kids there, so id stay away if thats not your scene.

One of the surprises in the Nashville food scene was the quality of Mexican food. Las palmas, fiesta azteca, and if you are adventerous and want to journey to little mexico, La Hacienda are all really good IMO.

Nightlife: Lower Broadway is littered with honkey tonk bars, the Stage, Tootsies, Legends, etc are all literally one right after another. it basically continues from there onto 2nd avenue where you have Coyote ugly, buffalo billiards, and a few other more club type places. Demonbraun street has a bunch of popular bars that a bit less toursity, but will draw more college kids like Tin Roof, Dan Mcguinees. Hillsboro village is the same way, with Cabana, Jacksons and sportsmans, but all are pretty cool bars.

If you want to catch a game at a sports bar Sams sports bar is my favorite place on the planet.

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (daa84 @ Nov 14, 2010 -> 09:25 PM)
Hotels: you can stay at the Opryland Hotel, but its a good 20 dollar+ cab ride from downtown, and its pricey. However it is an impressive Vegas style hotel, but more wholesome. Never went there during Christmas season, but its supposeldy AMAZING, and probably worth going to even if you don't stay there. Places downtown are good and close to the night life, like the Renaissance, Sheraton, double tree. Other cheaper ones are bit farther out but are still nice, like the hampton or holiday inns on west end.

I can vouch for this. The Christmas season is by far my favorite time of year, so my girlfriend took me to the Opryland last year, and it was amazing. I was in awe and never wanted to leave, haha.

We used to go down to Tennessee every year (at least every other year) for a while when I was younger. Most of the things we did involved Country music or the University of Tennessee, and I don't think either of those will help you, Shipps. We spent most of our time in Nashville, Knoxville, or the Smoky Mountains.

I believe it's quite a drive from Nashville to the mountains, but I would suggest you try it if you have the chance.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 15, 2010 -> 12:38 PM)
I believe it's quite a drive from Nashville to the mountains, but I would suggest you try it if you have the chance.

2.5-3 hours or so depending on traffic. December can be kinda rough though, the roads and passes will snow themselves shut.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 15, 2010 -> 01:03 PM)
2.5-3 hours or so depending on traffic. December can be kinda rough though, the roads and passes will snow themselves shut.

Yeah, it's probably a little too far to hit up the Smokies from Nashville (plus, you're losing an hour heading into Eastern Time Zone).

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Nov 15, 2010 -> 10:52 PM)
Printer's Alley, it's called The Brass Stable. Don't remember the eye patch. BYOB.

That's it! Had a good time there with a buddy back in 2003 following a Predators/Red Wings game. Man, $300 goes quick.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 13, 2010 -> 12:28 PM)
Thanks guys.

Does anyone know of any popular must have places to eat down there?

Pancake Pantry for breakfast. Long lines on weekends and some country music stars have been known to stand in line waiting with everyone else. Great breakfast too.

Definitely go downtown and bar hop on and around Broadway. Lots of places depending on your tastes.

Let us know how the Opryland looks these days. It is a magnificent place and big enough to get lost in. I'm curious how it looks after all the flooding. Before, I believe there were 5 or 6 bars and 6 or 7 restaurants in the place? It's more than a mile end to end all indoors. Really cool place though and they decorate it big time for Christmas. Do you mind me asking what kind of rate you got?

• 3 weeks later...

The Gaylord Opryland hotel is probably the most awesome hotel I have stayed at ever. It was worth the trip to Nashville alone. And we ate at the Loveless Cafe twice.

Would have really loved to go to the Smokey Mountains but we just didn't have enough time.

Very cool city . Strange that the Parthenon is located in a city such as Nashville though. Lol