BA put on waivers...

Wanne

Didn't see this anywhere on here. If so I apologize. Somebody will give BA a shot on the mound.

The AFL option wasn't afforded to Brian Anderson, the Sox's former No. 1 pick in 2003 who was trying to make a similar transition from the outfield with the Kansas City organization last summer. Anderson was designated for assignment by the Royals on Wednesday despite posting a combined 2.08 ERA in 17 1/3 innings with 17 strikeouts and only five walks for three levels.

Anderson, 28, pitched in six games at Triple-A Omaha with a 2.57 ERA while allowing only four hits, striking out six and walking one.

Anderson currently is on waivers, so any team that claims him must put him on their 40-man roster (which must be finalized on Nov. 20). Anderson, who throws in the low 90 mph range, might stand a better chance to clear waivers and cut a deal with his team of choice.

Anderson is out of options, so he's destined for a minor league contract (once he's not claimed) that actually will help his development.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 12, 2010 -> 06:43 PM)
A 28 year old project isn't going to be on the 40 man of any mlb team.

well no s***. If nobody claims him (which obviously nobody will...because he would have to be put on the 40-man like you said) then he's a FA. That's why I said somebody will give him or a minor league contract. Somebody will definitely give him a shot though.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Nov 12, 2010 -> 09:12 PM)
well no s***. If nobody claims him (which obviously nobody will...because he would have to be put on the 40-man like you said) then he's a FA. That's why I said somebody will give him or a minor league contract. Somebody will definitely give him a shot though.

"No s***," right back at you. That's why he's a free agent. KC didn't want him on their 40 man.

so why would you say nobody's gonna put him on the 40 when it's not even a realistic possibility anyway? It's obvious nobody will claim him...and obvious KC didn't want him on the 40. But you don't think anybody will sign him to a minor league contract?...that was the point.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Nov 12, 2010 -> 09:26 PM)
Good God why couldn't somebody in the Sox organization teach this guy how to swing a bat? Think of our defense with BA in center and Rios in right...

The numbers actually indicated that he was only above average. From what I remember seeing, he got good reads and had solid speed, but he wasn't amazing out there. He made some amazing plays, but Podsednik made an amazing play or two in CF in 2009 too, and I don't think anyone was beckoning for him to be the team's every day CFer.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Nov 13, 2010 -> 04:26 AM)
Good God why couldn't somebody in the Sox organization teach this guy how to swing a bat? Think of our defense with BA in center and Rios in right...

Sometimes the guy holding the bat has to accept the responsibility.

Man, what wasted talent. Wasn't he a first round pick? Too cocky?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 12, 2010 -> 11:46 PM)
The numbers actually indicated that he was only above average. From what I remember seeing, he got good reads and had solid speed, but he wasn't amazing out there. He made some amazing plays, but Podsednik made an amazing play or two in CF in 2009 too, and I don't think anyone was beckoning for him to be the team's every day CFer.

They don't even indicate that. Exactly average at best is what they really indicate. And it's amazing the damage the miscalculation of Brian Anderson caused this organization. A GG caliber starting CF on a team that just won the World Series and our top position prospect, who was also a CF, were traded in the span of a month because we thought Anderson could man CF.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 13, 2010 -> 01:01 AM)
Sometimes the guy holding the bat has to accept the responsibility.

Man, what wasted talent. Wasn't he a first round pick? Too cocky?

One could argue every White Sox first round pick from 1991-2007 was an epic fail. That is a credit to the organization that we've been able to have the success we've had with absolutely no help from the amateur draft.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 13, 2010 -> 01:21 AM)
They don't even indicate that. Exactly average at best is what they really indicate. And it's amazing the damage the miscalculation of Brian Anderson caused this organization. A GG caliber starting CF on a team that just won the World Series and our top position prospect, who was also a CF, were traded in the span of a month because we thought Anderson could man CF.

Who is this referring to?? Aaron Rowand and Gold Glove should never be mentioned in the same sentence(other than this one).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 13, 2010 -> 12:46 AM)

It's because he had those off-the-charts numbers in 2006 (juxtaposed against poor Mackowiak's awful defense) combined with his scouting report. After that it was kind of taken for granted that he was a plus defender, but I don't recall really being blown away by him after that. He had some really good range but you'd never see him robbing home runs, or throwing lasers to get runners out at home (he was more likely to airmail it).

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 13, 2010 -> 07:25 AM)
One could argue every White Sox first round pick from 1991-2007 was an epic fail. That is a credit to the organization that we've been able to have the success we've had with absolutely no help from the amateur draft.

Great point.

It's also another reason I don't get excited about the draft. Some guys make it; some don't in baseball. Either scouts suck or it's just a tough sport to predict.