eBay Motors

Texsox

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 14, 2010 -> 09:16 PM)
Anyone buy a car there? Any tips? I'm starting to look for a new truck. I'm not certain if I am going to go new or used. Just starting to look at options.

Go used.

Autotrader.com should provide you with plenty of options.

There are a lot of recent studies/financial analysis which have indicated that now in the given climate it can be more beneficial than in the past to buy new. Of course that depends on the vehicle being purchased, etc and the deals out there.

I only know cause I've been doing a ton of research as of late as we get ready to replace one of our two cars in the household. The 10+ year old Isuzu.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 11:22 AM)
There are a lot of recent studies/financial analysis which have indicated that now in the given climate it can be more beneficial than in the past to buy new. Of course that depends on the vehicle being purchased, etc and the deals out there.

I only know cause I've been doing a ton of research as of late as we get ready to replace one of our two cars in the household. The 10+ year old Isuzu.

Interesting. However, that doesn't address the question of whether it is more beneficial to buy new in this given climate to buy used?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 12:02 PM)
Interesting. However, that doesn't address the question of whether it is more beneficial to buy new in this given climate to buy used?

The last I really heard of this issue was that the price of used cars spiked substantially after the cash for clunkers program, which eliminated a large number of old used cars from the market (decreased supply, constant demand, increased price).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 11:20 AM)
The last I really heard of this issue was that the price of used cars spiked substantially after the cash for clunkers program, which eliminated a large number of old used cars from the market (decreased supply, constant demand, increased price).

Perhaps...I still can't imagine it spiking enough to make buying a brand spanking new car a better investment than a 2-4 year old car with low-mileage...

I am looking for a half ton pickup to tow a travel trailer and boat. I'm not choosy, the Ford, Chevy, Dodge, and Toyota will all do just fine. What I am strating to notice is how well they retain their value (not a good thing when buying used). I am seeing 1-2 year old F150 XLTs selling for close to original price. With rebates, it is possible to pick one up for $23,000 to $24,000. I am seeing vehicles with 25,000 miles selling for $20,000. Seems crazy.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 01:52 PM)
I am looking for a half ton pickup to tow a travel trailer and boat. I'm not choosy, the Ford, Chevy, Dodge, and Toyota will all do just fine. What I am strating to notice is how well they retain their value (not a good thing when buying used). I am seeing 1-2 year old F150 XLTs selling for close to original price. With rebates, it is possible to pick one up for $23,000 to $24,000. I am seeing vehicles with 25,000 miles selling for $20,000. Seems crazy.

A lot of it depends on your local market, Tex. You live in Texas. Everyone there drives a truck. You probably couldn't be in a worse market to buy a used truck. Dealerships, especially those like Carmax, will ship used trucks they take in from markets like Chicago and California to their Texas stores because the demand is so much greater there.

If I were you, I'd look for where the cheapest nearby markets for used trucks are. It's possible you could fly out to somewhere like New Orleans or something and drive the truck back.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 09:25 AM)
Perhaps...I still can't imagine it spiking enough to make buying a brand spanking new car a better investment than a 2-4 year old car with low-mileage...

The problem tends to be that more and more people are keeping their cars as opposed to buying new ones so that, combined with the cars for clunkers, has lowered the supply of used cars. On the flip side, the new car suppliers who have been hurt by the economy are working on putting out new products and have some very good incentives. When you combine the two factors and again depending on the vehicle purchased, the old school theories have to be rethought.

Additionally, you have to also remember to better factor in your cost of financing as well since new cars get much more preferential financing. Again though, this might not be a huge point if you are buying your car in cash, etc.

It just isn't as cut and dry as it used to be. And than there are the gray areas that really have nothing necessarily to do with financial stuff such as your overall preference, changes/improvements made to the new vehicle versus the used one, etc.

I know when I looked at it, the cost of ownership for me for the specific cars I'm looking at and while I went in looking to purchase a 2-4 year old vehicle, I'm now leaning much more heavily towards purchasing the new vehicle.

Nothing fancy, just a Ford Fusion or a Hyundai Sonata.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 11:05 AM)
A lot of it depends on your local market, Tex. You live in Texas. Everyone there drives a truck. You probably couldn't be in a worse market to buy a used truck. Dealerships, especially those like Carmax, will ship used trucks they take in from markets like Chicago and California to their Texas stores because the demand is so much greater there.

If I were you, I'd look for where the cheapest nearby markets for used trucks are. It's possible you could fly out to somewhere like New Orleans or something and drive the truck back.

Just flying out and than driving your vehicle has a cost though. You are talking about a few hundred bucks for airfare, than the gas cost, and than of course your time costs. That could be factors that push it to potentially make more sense to buy new or to just buy in your area. All depends on how much added savings there is.

Especially since the flip side of the argument says that being in Texas also means you have a very high supply of pick up trucks so you'd think there would still be a solid used truck supply. Again, I have no idea as I'm not looking into buying a truck.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 01:19 PM)
The problem tends to be that more and more people are keeping their cars as opposed to buying new ones so that, combined with the cars for clunkers, has lowered the supply of used cars. On the flip side, the new car suppliers who have been hurt by the economy are working on putting out new products and have some very good incentives. When you combine the two factors and again depending on the vehicle purchased, the old school theories have to be rethought.

Additionally, you have to also remember to better factor in your cost of financing as well since new cars get much more preferential financing. Again though, this might not be a huge point if you are buying your car in cash, etc.

It just isn't as cut and dry as it used to be. And than there are the gray areas that really have nothing necessarily to do with financial stuff such as your overall preference, changes/improvements made to the new vehicle versus the used one, etc.

I know when I looked at it, the cost of ownership for me for the specific cars I'm looking at and while I went in looking to purchase a 2-4 year old vehicle, I'm now leaning much more heavily towards purchasing the new vehicle.

Nothing fancy, just a Ford Fusion or a Hyundai Sonata.

Those Sonata's are great cars.

I tend to be interested in foreign sports cars, so buying new doesn't really make sense, because the deals you're talking about don't usually exist in that particular niche, but you definitely make a good point regarding incentives and financing for the overall new car and truck market.

One note on supply, the popularity of short-term leasing in the last 10 years usually maintains a pretty solid supply of reasonably priced, low-mileage vehicles in the used-car marketplace. Obviously this applies more to certain vehicles than others, however. Just depends on what you are looking for, I suppose.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 01:21 PM)
Just flying out and than driving your vehicle has a cost though. You are talking about a few hundred bucks for airfare, than the gas cost, and than of course your time costs. That could be factors that push it to potentially make more sense to buy new or to just buy in your area. All depends on how much added savings there is.

Especially since the flip side of the argument says that being in Texas also means you have a very high supply of pick up trucks so you'd think there would still be a solid used truck supply. Again, I have no idea as I'm not looking into buying a truck.

Obviously. There has to be a cost savings of at least a few thousand to make it worth it, in my opinion.

This is pretty crazy to think about, considering that 3-4 years ago, when gas prices were through the roof, dealers couldn't give away their trucks. I went with a friend to buy a new truck and we negotiated them down something like 10k below the msrp, and could have done even better on some of the more expensive models, but my friend's wife wouldn't let him spend a few thousand more (even though he would have been saving much more had he done so).

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 11:25 AM)
Those Sonata's are great cars.

I tend to be interested in foreign sports cars, so buying new doesn't really make sense, because the deals you're talking about don't usually exist in that particular niche, but you definitely make a good point regarding incentives and financing for the overall new car and truck market.

One note on supply, the popularity of short-term leasing in the last 10 years usually maintains a pretty solid supply of reasonably priced, low-mileage vehicles in the used-car marketplace. Obviously this applies more to certain vehicles than others, however. Just depends on what you are looking for, I suppose.

Ya, I like the Sonata's. Those things are very very fully equiped at such a fair price. Far more equipped than the typical gold standard of the midsize family sedan (Camry/Accord) and for a nice buy. And with the warranty that comes with those things even if there are some issues your cost of ownership should still blow away that of the Accord/Camry.

On top of it they drive nice and are very fuel efficient. If you had told me 5 years ago that I'd be considering buying a Hyundai I'd have laughed hysterically, but they've changed the game and are gaining an increasing market share in the overall auto market and especially that ever coveted family sedan market place.

The Genesis is pretty badass too for the money, but I'm looking more for fuel efficiency due to my long commute with the wife taking my Honda Pilot.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 11:29 AM)
Obviously. There has to be a cost savings of at least a few thousand to make it worth it, in my opinion.

This is pretty crazy to think about, considering that 3-4 years ago, when gas prices were through the roof, dealers couldn't give away their trucks. I went with a friend to buy a new truck and we negotiated them down something like 10k below the msrp, and could have done even better on some of the more expensive models, but my friend's wife wouldn't let him spend a few thousand more (even though he would have been saving much more had he done so).

It was crazy, I had a few buddies pick up Ram trucks for like half of MSRP. It was ridiculous and they walked away so happy.

I think some people wrote stuff off just because of gas prices and didn't factor in the fact that the added cost savings actually outweighed at times the added fuel costs. Plus if you need a truck for what you do, you need a truck.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 02:34 PM)
I think some people wrote stuff off just because of gas prices and didn't factor in the fact that the added cost savings actually outweighed at times the added fuel costs. Plus if you need a truck for what you do, you need a truck.

Really though, if you had to guess what %age of truck owners absolutely need to own a truck, would you guess it's a large majority? I wouldn't. I'll bet for a lot of people it's a convenience at times (heck I can think of a few times when it would have been a convenience for me). If I'm right about that, then in the event of a gas price spike, the demand for trucks would be very elastic; the people who might like them but don't need them would opt downwards.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 11:48 AM)
Really though, if you had to guess what %age of truck owners absolutely need to own a truck, would you guess it's a large majority? I wouldn't. I'll bet for a lot of people it's a convenience at times (heck I can think of a few times when it would have been a convenience for me). If I'm right about that, then in the event of a gas price spike, the demand for trucks would be very elastic; the people who might like them but don't need them would opt downwards.

Absolutely not, but to each their own. I'm sure plenty of people are weekend warriors that occasionally use it or ocassionally tow something. In no way do I think the majority of trucks are used by people who use it at least twice a week.

Personally I love SUV's/Trucks because they are incredibly convenient and I feel more comfortable sitting up and driving in them versus a car. They are also incredibly convenient. But there are also a ton of financial reasons for why I'd be better off with a car and that is part of why the family will be going to the route of one SUV and one mid size sedan.

Still have flexibility but also have that nice gas mileage vehicle that is comfy too. It is so evident that kids are in my near future, haha (and no, wife isn't expecting).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 03:40 PM)
Absolutely not, but to each their own. I'm sure plenty of people are weekend warriors that occasionally use it or ocassionally tow something. In no way do I think the majority of trucks are used by people who use it at least twice a week.

Personally I love SUV's/Trucks because they are incredibly convenient and I feel more comfortable sitting up and driving in them versus a car. They are also incredibly convenient. But there are also a ton of financial reasons for why I'd be better off with a car and that is part of why the family will be going to the route of one SUV and one mid size sedan.

Still have flexibility but also have that nice gas mileage vehicle that is comfy too. It is so evident that kids are in my near future, haha (and no, wife isn't expecting).

but the real question is, are they convenient? :lolhitting

I'd be interested to see these analyses you mentioned--any links or references?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 02:04 PM)
but the real question is, are they convenient? :lolhitting

I'd be interested to see these analyses you mentioned--any links or references?

Why do I need to analyze that. Doesn't it depend on peoples personal habits. Not my job to analyze your own habits. And yes, mine is incredibly convenient and I love it and ultimately that is all I care about.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 04:38 PM)
Why do I need to analyze that. Doesn't it depend on peoples personal habits. Not my job to analyze your own habits.

I was talking about the economic reports you mentioned in your first post, sorry that wasn't really clear at all.

And yes, mine is incredibly convenient and I love it and ultimately that is all I care about.

I was just poking fun at you saying incredibly convenient twice in two sentences.

Edited by StrangeSox

I need it for the towing, and some of the other outdoor stuff. My girlfriend has a Honda CRV which works most trips and drving around town. I may add a motorcycle to the mix for commuting. I lament selling my Vulcan 1500 a few years ago.

So I've been tossing in some low ball bids on trucks. I was more than a little surprised when one of the dealers gives me a call. I explained how I really wasn't a serious buyer right now, and was checking the market and getting an idea of prices, but if a real bargain fell in my lap, I would write the check. His reply?

"So you are just screwing around with these bids? Do you really think you would get a $25,000 truck for $15,000? Why are you wasting people's time?"

"Ah, why are you starting the bidding at $100 with a reserve for people to guess? Why are you wasting my time? If you start your bidding at the price you are willing to sell it at, then I won't bother looking."

I respect the hell out of salespeople, I was one for many years, but honestly, some car salespeople are such dicks.