Manny wants "Vlad-like" deal

Steve9347

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 11:28 AM)
http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/11/16/scott-b...ike-vlad-guerr/

I'm on the fence... I kind of want him back, and at $5.5 million I'd really enjoy it.

If I could be sure that he was healthy from what ailed him last year, I think I might be on board too. He is gonna need a good year if he wants to make more money in the future, so I could see him being motivated.

At that price level? I'd leave it at a maybe, but if someone else wants him they can have him. If we go through this offseason and we are fully unable to fill the DH role by the end of January, and he's still available, then we can talk, but it's sort of a desperation move at that point.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 11:35 AM)
The guy had 2 RBIs in 88 PAs for us, no friggin' thanks.

He was picked up by the Sox (who were hopelessly looking up at the Twins) with like 3 hours left in the regular season and was coming off an injury that dwarfed his playing time earlier in LA.

I really think that with a full season he could still be good.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (3E8 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 11:53 AM)
We are desperate for offense. Manny led the team in OBP and pitches seen per PA. And that's coming off injury. If the training staff thinks they can keep him healthy, this would be a no-brainer

I agree. 5.5 for Manny seems like a ridiculous bargain.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 11:40 AM)
At that price level? I'd leave it at a maybe, but if someone else wants him they can have him. If we go through this offseason and we are fully unable to fill the DH role by the end of January, and he's still available, then we can talk, but it's sort of a desperation move at that point.

I agree. In a perfect world, we get a strong all-around RF so we can move Quentin to DH. Doing so offers two benefits. First, you have a primary DH that can play in the field if necessary (so Ozzie is happy). Second, you have at least one sure thing in your lineup between RF/DH (in this case RF).

If you sign Manny and keep Quentin, you now have question marks offensively at DH and RF. You also have a full-time DH (which Guillen will be against) and a poor defensive regular RF.

Like you said, if we're running out of options later in the offseason I'm all for bringing Manny in at that price. For now, I'd rather look at some better options.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 12:58 PM)
I agree. 5.5 for Manny seems like a ridiculous bargain.

For a 39 year old former steroid abuser who missed about 1/3 of last season with injuries and can't play the field any more? Manny was only worth about $6 million last year according to fangraphs. You might call that a bargain, but it's certainly not a ridiculous one.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 12:12 PM)
For a 39 year old former steroid abuser who missed about 1/3 of last season with injuries and can't play the field any more? Manny was only worth about $6 million last year according to fangraphs. You might call that a bargain, but it's certainly not a ridiculous one.

Your position on this issue is well-known, Balta...

I think it's pretty safe to assume last season was about a worst-cast scenario for Manny as a hitter. And he was still worth $6 million.

Over the course of a full year in our park as a DH, I would feel very comfortable with a $5 million offer.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 01:15 PM)
I think it's pretty safe to assume last season was about a worst-cast scenario for Manny as a hitter. And he was still worth $6 million.

Really, I don't think that's a safe assumption at all. I don't think you can look at guys who have injury-shortened seasons who are already up there in age and say that worst case scenario isn't a worse season. Now that we're out of the steroid era...injury shortened, performance hampered seasons for 39 year olds should be the norm, not the exception.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 01:12 PM)

He missed closer to half of last season, only appeared in 90 games. Also, having to play the field with his poor defense in the NL cost him more runs than he would have lost switching from playing the field to full-time DH. If he stays healthy, he would provide nice surplus value at DH. And you'd have to think not playing corner outfield would assist in keeping him off the DL

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 01:12 PM)

Just like there is no way PK matches his numbers from last season, there's no way that Manny is as non-existent next season. He's worth 5.5 easily imo. All the sudden you have a middle of the order hitter and you didn't have to cough up any talent or 10+ mill to get him and you should still have some flexibility to bring in another very good player, whether that's via trade or fa.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 12:25 PM)
My concern is that we may not be a division contender by the mid-point of the season and he'll become the usual cancer that we've seen in the past.

Then you DFA him. Chances are, by that point, you will have already received pretty fair production versus his contract, and it won't be that big of a deal.