Manny wants "Vlad-like" deal

Steve9347

For all the people who hated that acquisition last year I'm surprised so many of you want him back.

I consider Manny this year what Ken Griffey Jr was in 2008, an acquisition that was suppose to take us over the edge, help to get to playoffs.

I don't see Kenny even thinking about bringing Manny back. IF we have a brutal offseason and a huge hole at DH come February then I'd consider it.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 12:28 PM)
For all the people who hated that acquisition last year I'm surprised so many of you want him back.

I consider Manny this year what Ken Griffey Jr was in 2008, an acquisition that was suppose to take us over the edge, help to get to playoffs.

I don't see Kenny even thinking about bringing Manny back. IF we have a brutal offseason and a huge hole at DH come February then I'd consider it.

Two things.

1) Comparing Manny to Junior is unfair, because we claimed Manny and by the time he suited up for us we were already too far out of it. Had that acquisition happened at the trade deadline, the story may have been different.

2) I just noticed your avatar, and it is brilliant.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 02:01 PM)
Yawn, that just seems like a very un-Kenny like move. I don't see it happening, will be shocked if it does. Mid season, need something, yeah. But not going into the season.

Didn't we learn a lesson last year from this exact approach?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 02:07 PM)
Didn't we learn a lesson last year from this exact approach?

The problem this season was going in with an obvious potential gaping hole at 1 position and trying to justify it. I don't think Tex was suggesting leaving the DH spot unclaimed until midseason.

What is positive about this is that Manny is being more realistic than in years past. He could very well still be a force with that bat of his, if healthy. I am not advocating Manny ramirez, but there are worse options for sure and I would not be against signing the Man-ram.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 01:08 PM)
The problem this season was going in with an obvious potential gaping hole at 1 position and trying to justify it. I don't think Tex was suggesting leaving the DH spot unclaimed until midseason.

Well, considering our payroll is going to be extremely taxed, barring some miracle trade of Mark Buehrle or Jake Peavy, I don't see us adding some superstar bat. We're going to need to find production that is undervalued by the marketplace and take our chances with it. If this salary range for Manny is correct, then this is exactly the kind of transaction Kenny should be looking to make.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 04:28 PM)
Seriously, unless Jim Thome comes up to you right now and says that he is willing to play for $1.5-2 mill again, $5.5 mill plus incentives for one year of Manny Ramirez is absolutely worth it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 04:29 PM)

Love.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 05:35 PM)
The guy had 2 RBIs in 88 PAs for us, no friggin' thanks.

I don't know if I should laugh or cry at how pathetic Manny was as our playoff sparkplug. And yet because he's Manny or the unknown he gets a free pass. Not.Worth.That.Kinda.Money. But I agree he's a better option than Kotsay/Jones/DH by committee.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 06:05 PM)
I don't know if I should laugh or cry at how pathetic Manny was as our playoff sparkplug. And yet because he's Manny or the unknown he gets a free pass. Not.Worth.That.Kinda.Money. But I agree he's a better option than Kotsay/Jones/DH by committee.

Look at it this way, AJ would cost more than Manny if offered arbitration (which many here are clamoring for in false hopes of getting draft picks), Linebrink makes essentially what Manny would, Teahen is close.

Manny's production at DH at that salary would be huge for the Sox.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 04:08 PM)
Look at it this way, AJ would cost more than Manny if offered arbitration (which many here are clamoring for in false hopes of getting draft picks), Linebrink makes essentially what Manny would, Teahen is close.

Manny's production at DH at that salary would be huge for the Sox.

Thats not true. In arbit you can't more than a 20% paycut.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 06:12 PM)
He means if AJ were offered arbitration and Manroid was offered that $5.5 million we talkeda bout in the other thread.

Exactly, of course the salaries wouldn't be exact, but if AJ gets $6mm or more in arbitration and Manny gets $5.5mm plus incentives I call that pretty much the same.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Nov 16, 2010 -> 05:26 PM)
This rule is only applicable to players in their arb years (guys between 3-6 years service time plus the super 2s).

If you do offer arbitration though a judge most likely will favor the player anyways if you can't settle a contract.