TSA - Going too Far?

Jenksismyhero

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 04:02 PM)

Security theater at its finest.

I'm going to add a cut in homeland security spending to that argument in the other thread - if you're serious about fiscal responsibility and fixing our economy, medicare/ss/defense/TSA spending all have to be on the table.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 09:58 AM)
Security theater at its finest.

I'm going to add a cut in homeland security spending to that argument in the other thread - if you're serious about fiscal responsibility and fixing our economy, medicare/ss/defense/TSA spending all have to be on the table.

If we don't know what you're talking about in your phone calls, we can't sell that information and make money off of it.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 02:21 PM)
I'm lost.

Just think...if facebook and Google are worth billions of dollars because of the marketing data they can get from your acquaintances and your searches...think about how much money the government can get by selling information about what's in your emails and phone calls.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 01:34 PM)
Just think...if facebook and Google are worth billions of dollars because of the marketing data they can get from your acquaintances and your searches...think about how much money the government can get by selling information about what's in your emails and phone calls.

I'm still confused. How does this relate to guns getting through security and/or adding TSA to the list of agencies that need to be cut and/or gutted?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 02:44 PM)
I'm still confused. How does this relate to guns getting through security and/or adding TSA to the list of agencies that need to be cut and/or gutted?

Because my brain is so wiped that I read NSA instead of TSA?

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, the things you miss when there are multiple nuclear meltdowns.

The Transportation Security Administration announced Friday that it would retest every full-body X-ray scanner that emits ionizing radiation — 247 machines at 38 airports — after maintenance records on some of the devices showed radiation levels 10 times higher than expected.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 01:33 PM)
You don't see why I'm asking this at all do you?

I'm not sure why you are surprised by the reaction... With all of the preaching that the private sector can't police itself, and that the government ought to be doing it in all of these areas, the fact that the federal government in many cases is more inept that the private sector is going to be a common reaction.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 02:43 PM)
lol, i guess not. Why did you?

Because there happens to be a private company involved in the case as well...Rapiscan, who builds the things.

If they sold the government scanners that emit a factor of 10x the radiation that the scanners are supposed to emit and that the original test scanners emitted, that's a product liability issue for the company. But that doesn't even register...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 01:50 PM)
Because there happens to be a private company involved in the case as well...Rapiscan, who builds the things.

If they sold the government scanners that emit a factor of 10x the radiation that the scanners are supposed to emit and that the original test scanners emitted, that's a product liability issue for the company. But that doesn't even register...

But it's still on the government to know that when it says these things don't emit radiation, they actually know that it's true.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 03:00 PM)
But it's still on the government to know that when it says these things don't emit radiation, they actually know that it's true.

If you buy a doll for your kid, and it's laced with lead paint, is it your responsibility as the purchaser to have tested it or is it the manufacturer's responsibility? Especially if the specs for the item say "Does not contain lead paint"?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 02:51 PM)
If you buy a doll for your kid, and it's laced with lead paint, is it your responsibility as the purchaser to have tested it or is it the manufacturer's responsibility? Especially if the specs for the item say "Does not contain lead paint"?

Because the government has an agency that deals with those kind of things, the answer is yes. If our tax dollars are going to it, then they have the responsibility for it.

TSA was great on my way back into the states from Toronto. I get to the security line and the thing beeps because I am randomly selected for one more level of tests. The TSA guy asks me which one I want to do:

1. Full body scanner

2. Full body pat down

3. Swab my hands for explosives

I ask him which one I should do. He replies "get your hands swabbed, its faster and easier for us." Appreciate the feedback buddy.

Really 2k5...if Rapiscan said "These things are safe", produced test models that were safe, and then the production line ones weren't safe, you'd think Rapiscan has zero liability there?

Yes, the government needs to catch it, and it appears that they might well have done so. But come on...seriously, what more would they have to do? If they installed guns in the things that shot every other person who walked through, but those weren't in the test versions, you'd still say that the company bears no liability.