White Sox Sign Dunn

Vote4Pedro

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 06:59 PM)
Can't read all 34 pages, but this is a big deal. HUGE deal. If PK comes back too, there's no possible way for Ozzie to f*** this lineup up. The only glaring weak spot in it would be Teahen.

It's amazing what one legitimate upgrade can do. I've basically been dubbed fathom part 2 the last few months. I haven't felt this good about the team in a while. And I'm about 90% sure PK is coming back. We're in MUCH better position now than we were just 3 days ago.

ESPN sucks. The "Lead" part of their crawl didn't mention Dunn going to the Sox, but it did advertise that the Yankees and Jeter had talked again! Oh, and the 2022 World Cup will be in Qatar.

Imagine if the Red Sox or Yankees had signed Dunn? They'd have cancelled all other programming.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 08:20 PM)
ESPN sucks. The "Lead" part of their crawl didn't mention Dunn going to the Sox, but it did advertise that the Yankees and Jeter had talked again! Oh, and the 2022 World Cup will be in Qatar.

Imagine if the Red Sox or Yankees had signed Dunn? They'd have cancelled all other programming.

Lol, that's very true. I wonder if it will get a segment on 1st Take, ATH, or PTI.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 07:20 PM)

I've said this about 47546464 times over the last two years. MLB Network is your very best baseball friend. There is no reason to watch ESPN anymore.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 06:28 PM)
That's kind of one of those things we can only pick up thru watching the game. Having PK at first has helped Alexei quite a bit.

PK's defense may not be great, but its certainly not hurting us.

I can only remember a few times a year, that Paulie messed up at 1b. If fact he makes some plays, I never thought he could get .

Just heard the great news... Adam Dunn signs and now Paulie may re-sign also! Wow! Great to see they're going for it all this next year because it was starting to look pretty grim for a second. Somewhere Kenny Williams is giving a big middle finger to Mike Rizzo, he has Dunn and Jackson. haha.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/...whats-next.html

Probably has been posted already and I didn't take the time to read it.

Has anyone heard this idea of Anthony Carter being the closer? I could understand if it was Sale, but Carter?

This is really getting interesting, with AJ back into the fold, that undoubtedly means Floyd/Danks/Jackson (one of three) are gone and that Sale's back in the rotation picture. Or they're bringing back Garcia and tempting fate. But it's incredibly dangerous to rely on Peavy and Sale as 2/5ths of the rotation...and assuming they'll hold up the entire season without bumps in the road along with way.

Viciedo at 1B/DH is still possible, sharing time with Dunn. Or they could package Viciedo, Morel and force someone to take the contracts of Linebrink/Teahen and MAYBE Pierre along with those two guys. Another idea is ditching Quentin, but that seems more unlikely based on the play of Danks and health questions surrounding Mitchell.

I really don't see them going out and getting an established closer. KW learned his lesson with Koch. No way they give $30-36 million and 3 years to someone like Soriano. I do think there are still serious concerns about going into 2010 with BOTH Morel and Viciedo in the line-up. One of them, but not two rookies, maybe I'm wrong and severly underestimating Morel's bat, which I'm projecting at a 675ish OPS next year.

Edited by caulfield12

Phil Rogers:

"Maybe someone in the organization has persuaded Williams that Tyler Flowers can replace A.J. Pierzynski or that Anthony Carter can step up from Double-A to close big-league games. Can't say for sure."

If you can't say for sure that Anthony Carter is NOT going to be the closer next year then you are seriously below the line of monkey replacement level.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 10:44 PM)
Huh? They're making AJ a starting pitcher?

No, I simply meant the SUPPOSED strain on the payroll of adding $20+ million nobody had foreseen over the last 3-4 months AND bringing back Konerko?

There's just no way that ALL fits together without SOMEONE (besides Teahen/Linebrink/Pierre) leaving the roster. Most likely, it would have to be one of those three pitchers, it's the only move.

Not saying it would be logical for JR/KW to do it...they have to ride out this "all in" philosophy through 2011. Trading any of those 3 with the existing questions about Peavy or Sale as a starter would be asking for the likes of KSU Carlos and Arnie Munoz, Mike Porzio, Felix Diaz, Sean Tracey and Jon Adkins as the 5th.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 10:47 PM)
Nothing that KW said today indicates to me that they are planning to trade anyone. It sounds like KW wants to sign PK, sign AJ and sign a bullpen guy and see what happens.

Let's just hope so.

I'm still a bit scared with Teahen/Morel at 3B, Viciedo (right now) as the DH/1B...and Sale/Thornton as the closer, but it's 100% better than 24 hours ago in terms of not being a completely bleak and boring offseason.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 09:53 PM)
Let's just hope so.

I'm still a bit scared with Teahen/Morel at 3B, Viciedo (right now) as the DH/1B...and Sale/Thornton as the closer, but it's 100% better than 24 hours ago in terms of not being a completely bleak and boring offseason.

As long as it's Omar/Morel and Teahen isn't anywhere to be found it shouldn't be all that bad as long as there's an offense. Hitting Brent 9th with the benefit of his defense and league minimum salary makes us better than most of the other options out there.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 10:50 PM)
No, I simply meant the SUPPOSED strain on the payroll of adding $20+ million nobody had foreseen over the last 3-4 months AND bringing back Konerko?

Actually, if they add Putz at 5 mil and Konerko for about 9, they don't add a lot of money since AJ took less and Jenks is gone.

-2.67 AJ

-3 (est) Kong

-7.5 Jenks

-4 Manny

-1.5 Kotsay

-.5 Jones

+2 Putz

+14 Dunn

+ salary jumps for younger guys

+ cheap MR

You'd be doing yourself a favor, as a Sox fan, by not listening to anything KW or the media spins about what our payroll is, or how much we can afford. This team can seemingly increase payroll whenever they feel like it.

If they want to keep Buehrle, Konerko, with the Dunn signing then they'll find out a way to do it. The last thing I'm worried about is payroll

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 10:01 PM)
Actually, if they add Putz at 5 mil and Konerko for about 9, they don't add a lot of money since AJ took less and Jenks is gone.

-2.67 AJ

-3 (est) Kong

-7.5 Jenks

-4 Manny

-1.5 Kotsay

-.5 Jones

+2 Putz

+14 Dunn

+ salary jumps for younger guys

+ cheap MR

Raises go to Floyd, Danks, Peavy, Rios, Quentin, Thornton, Alexei, etc. and that's where the money really is. The real stinker is Pierre + Linebrink + Teahen costs $15.25M and all we get is a PH, some LF defense, and a garbage man. The #1 priority is cutting that s*** down as much as possible and looking for a way to extract better value out of what we're forced to hang on to.