White Sox Sign Dunn

Vote4Pedro

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 03:30 PM)
I disagree, as this is a situation where they went head-to-head with other teams financially to land a player.

all that means to me is the White Sox have chosen to spend wisely in FA when going head to head. They've been in on a lot of players, but pull back when it goes that extra 10+m or year or two. I would have loved for the Sox to sign Torii Hunter a few years back, but could easily see why they wouldn't go that extra that LAA swooped in with.

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 03:33 PM)
Landing Dunn and re-signing Konerko would be fantastic. That would be, however, about $27 million tied up in 1st and DH. But, as someone noted, you're looking at a payroll of about $115 million. That's not outlandish.

it's also KW, he could have some crazy trade lined up. I imagine if they sign Dunn they would have had to promise him some run at 1B or OF, even though he is a bad defender. Also, he and his agent could have been using the not liking the DH for Dunn as leverage for some more money or an extra year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 03:29 PM)
Unless you actually go back and include moves like Rios, where they essentially signed him to a 5 years 60ish million dollar contract by getting him off of waivers, or the Peavy deal, where they not only assumed his contract, but gave up players to do it. Sure it sounds better when you make it sound bad, but the reality is that the Sox have brought in lots of big dollar guys, both from the inside and outside.

But not during free agency when the guy basically goes to the highest bidder. This is a very unusual way the White Sox have used to acquire high priced guys really since the first couple of seasons of JR's ownership with the exception of Belle. They went after Fisk and Bannister, but since then, they really haven't been very active with the most expensive FA.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 03:36 PM)
According to Rosenthal, Sox want an answer from Konerko about what is he looking for in his next contract. Rosenthal writes Sox feel like they are missing on opportunities while waiting for Paulie.

I'm posting the column in the Konerko thread.

makes sense and good to hear that the Sox are moving forward if they feel it's the best.

I honestly think Lee makes way more sense than Konerko.

I don't want to say that Konerko "can never do what he did last year," but odds are greatly in favor of him regressing, atleast a little bit. I also don't think you can say that Lee is going to do what he did all of last year for a full year either. Lee is a better athlete than Konerko, plays better defense, comes with a shorter and cheaper commitment, and, I think, just as likely to put up big numbers.

Konerko is going to get 2/$25 and Lee is going to get 1/$7, I don't think there's any question which move the Sox make. I honestly think that resigning Konerko forces the Sox to trade someone making a bit of money (though they also don't have to pay for 2 additional draft picks).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 03:38 PM)
But not during free agency when the guy basically goes to the highest bidder. This is a very unusual way the White Sox have used to acquire high priced guys really since the first couple of seasons of JR's ownership with the exception of Belle. They went after Fisk and Bannister, but since then, they really haven't been very active with the most expensive FA.

Trades don't happen with the highest bidder?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 09:38 PM)

No kidding, I understand what you're trying to say. Not like I was calling JR or KW cheap, just that we don't usually up the ante to get players. Usually we know what the cost is when we go after someone.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 03:31 PM)
Oh come on fathom...you've defined it to the point that it's just meaningless. Half the other teams in the AL could have had Rios and none of them wanted him at that cost (and no other teams were reported to put in a claim on him either). Peavy was known to be available for months before we traded for him, and no other teams met the price.

The teams that could afford Rios claimed after the Sox. Not that they would have. Also no NL team was able to claim him. Not that they would have. Peavy was injured. Neither is the same as getting a free agent on the open market. I'm not saying its a bad thing, SS2k5 just always assumes that. But it is a first for KW.