White Sox Sign Dunn

Vote4Pedro

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 05:28 PM)
Looks like the money is certainly being thrown around in Free Agency again by the owners.

Remember, last time he hit the FA market, the DJIA was under 8000, Citigroup and Bank of America had been bailed out a couple weeks before, and it seemed plausible that credit default swaps would provoke the end of Western Civilization.

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 04:26 PM)
I would think one of Buehrle/Peavy/Rios/Jackson HAVE to be traded if the Sox truly intend of bringing Konerko back.

Also, interesting that Dunn's starting point was 4yr/$60, and he took $56. Wonder if he agreed to it so long as they throw that $4M to Paulie.

No, I think it's more that the Sox had a strong desire to get him, probably came at him with like 4/$52 or something (which very well could have been the contract they were going to offer Martinez), and the two sides met in the middle.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 11:28 PM)
Dunn certainly got his big payday with this deal, much better than his last one from the Nats that's for sure.

But we're getting a bonafide LH slugger in his prime, which is what KW has been going after for longer than I can remember.

He'll instantly add a fantasic OBP/SLG to our lineup, and in this ballpark 45-50 HR's in certainly attaianable if all goes well I would have thought.

I found this interesting though;

Looks like the money is certainly being thrown around in Free Agency again by the owners.

Was in the midst of the beginning of a heavy recession.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 04:30 PM)
Remember, last time he hit the FA market, the DJIA was under 8000, Citigroup and Bank of America had been bailed out a couple weeks before, and it seemed plausible that credit default swaps would provoke the end of Western Civilization.

and the Cubs still signed Milton Bradley for 3/30 instead of Dunn for cheaper.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 04:30 PM)
No, I think it's more that the Sox had a strong desire to get him, probably came at him with like 4/$52 or something (which very well could have been the contract they were going to offer Martinez), and the two sides met in the middle.

Any offer the Sox were making in this range was to Dunn and not Vmart. There was never anything offered to Vmart after his price tag was understood.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 05:40 PM)
Bernstein was just running down some of his offensive numbers, somehow I like this deal even more!

Dunn hit .169 with 2 outs and RISP last year and hit .146 in the 9th inning with a .486 OPS.

(THat's about what I have to do to spin his numbers badly, btw.)

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 10:30 PM)
Was in the midst of the beginning of a heavy recession.

True but saying that it's not like things are not back to where they were pre recession though.

Still, it's good to see JR throwing some money around.