White Sox Sign Dunn

Vote4Pedro

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 04:53 PM)
It's not my favorite signing of all time...I have an irrational hatred for Adam Dunn. But given what our options were, I suppose I understand the move...I just fear what the next shoe to drop will be...

Exactly, our team isn't any better yet. Not one bit. If PK stays then yes, we are way better. As of right now, this is as lateral as it gets folks.

I hate Dunn but I'm still really excited the team looks different. Nice job KW!

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 04:58 PM)
Thome had better numbers than Dunn in 2010 (HR Ratio, AVG, OBP). AJP/and or Konerko is now gone, Jenks is gone, expect Floyd/Danks/or Edwin Jackson to be traded. I see Putz as the only free agent we will get, no way Paulie takes less than Dunn and no way Sox can afford another 14/m per year.

I hate that Soxtalk is making me dislike when the word "Jim" is followed by "Thome".

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 04:48 PM)
Am I really the only one who doesn't care for this move? Great, we're building the team to be station to station, hit home runs or get shut out. Haven't we gone through this all before?

Pierre, Beckham, Rios, Ramirez, Morel and even Quentin

Station to station? They'll be slow at 3 positions: catcher, DH and 1B. 1 of those is typically an old guy with bad knees and the other 2 are boppers, how many teams have these speedsters at C, 1B and DH? You just replaced the slow, s***ty Kotsay with the slow, awesome Dunn. Sounds like a win to me.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 04:58 PM)
Exactly, our team isn't any better yet. Not one bit. If PK stays then yes, we are way better. As of right now, this is as lateral as it gets folks.

but PK doesn't have to stay for them to be better, while it may be the ideal option to make them the best, as long as they replace Kotsay and crap with something better they have a better chance of improving since Dunn is an extremely consistent offensive player.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 05:58 PM)

Actually...as it stands right now, Dunn and Viciedo would be a 1b/DH platoon, which is substantially better than the 1b/DH platoon of Kotsay and Konerko.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 05:02 PM)
over under on # of times Hawk refers to Dunn as "country strong" throughout the season

ill say 30

he'll also bring up his HS football and how he was a major QB recruit many times as well...

B & B quoted KW saying they have payroll room for PK, meaning they have payroll room for a lesser, but better than Kotsay/crap player if PK goes.

Why not dump Pierre, save the $5 million he would cost this year, and put that money in the bullpen?

Rios could lead off.

Vizquel and Ramirez platoon in the 2 hole.

Quentin bats 3rd and plays LF

Dunn hits clean up as the DH

Paulie 5th

Teahen 6th, in RF

Beckham 7th

Morel hits 8th when Vizquel sits

Castro and any good defensive catcher share the 9th spot

That's my order, unless they could dump Teahen and his salary, which could also go into the bullpen.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 05:06 PM)
Why not dump Pierre, save the $5 million he would cost this year, and put that money in the bullpen?

Rios could lead off.

Vizquel and Ramirez platoon in the 2 hole.

Quentin bats 3rd and plays LF

Dunn hits clean up as the DH

Paulie 5th

Teahen 6th, in RF

Beckham 7th

Morel hits 8th when Vizquel sits

Castro and any good defensive catcher share the 9th spot

That's my order, unless they could dump Teahen and his salary, which could also go into the bullpen.

You couldn't get anyone to take Pierre, LAD are paying a portion of his money anyway

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 05:01 PM)
KW said he gave Jerry 2 future directions at season's end: Young and cheap/All-in and expensive. Think we know now what Jerry chose. - Brett Ballantini

This is the way it feels which is why I'm really not worried about the payroll, aside from Jenks I don't think we're going to shed much of anything from the payroll. This definitely feels like an all-in especially with Kenny's Williams' comments that there is room in the payroll for Dunn and Konerko and that it would be optimal.

The questions are how do we get our bullpen in tact. From a roster standpoint, we are pretty well set outside of having to worry about Quentin playing defense. I guess Viciedo could become expendable, but I wouldn't want to just give him up. And is Sale our 5th starter?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 05:09 PM)
This is the way it feels which is why I'm really not worried about the payroll, aside from Jenks I don't think we're going to shed much of anything from the payroll. This definitely feels like an all-in especially with Kenny's Williams' comments that there is room in the payroll for Dunn and Konerko and that it would be optimal.

Personally I can't wait to find out the details of the deal tomorrow and to see how much Sox have already committed for next year.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 06:11 PM)
The questions are how do we get our bullpen in tact. From a roster standpoint, we are pretty well set outside of having to worry about Quentin playing defense. I guess Viciedo could become expendable, but I wouldn't want to just give him up.

If you sign Konerko and Dunn, everyone knows you're selling him because you have no spot to play him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2010 -> 03:11 PM)
If you sign Konerko and Dunn, everyone knows you're selling him because you have no spot to play him.

I'd tell those teams that he can play 3B and outfield and get his at bats and develop that way. There are ways to make it work if teams try to give up crap for him.